Layers & Selection tool in Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Alina Skylum

Hi! We did intend to remove layers. There is a local masking tool that will allow you to do all the same but with higher efficiency. 

Regarding other suggestions, I will pass them to the person in charge. Thanks!

Comment actions Permalink
    Bruce Maeda

Alina Skylum is there a tutorial on how to use the masking tool in a way that replicates how masks work?  For example, how can two faces be edited differently?  Or how can a portion of an image be partially revealed in a portion of another image?

Margaret Bright

Hi Bruce,

Please check out the following video that should be helpful: https://youtu.be/kU564dZ7Lz8

I also invite you to check our Youtube channel, as we have many great educational videos on achieving different effects in Luminar AI: https://www.youtube.com/c/Skylum/videos

Bruce Maeda

Hi Margaret Bright,

Not to sound rude, but apparently, you are not understanding how many of of us use layers.  My question was not answered in the video and actually Anthony confirmed one of the limitations of local masking by agreeing "you cannot change size and position of the new picture" in one of the comments.

Also, the tools are limited (no portrait or professional tools) when using local masking and Anthony again agrees stating, "it would be nice to be able to use more tools through the local mask option!"

We appreciate making LuminarAI run quicker, but the trade-off of not being able to fully edit an image is a dealbreaker for me and others.  (Please don't suggest the work around of exporting then importing an image.  How is this quicker than using layers?  And we would end up editing a non-RAW image).

It appears, Luminar is moving away from being a competitor for Lightroom and professional editing software. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.