Comments

16 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi,

Please, try to update your LuminarAI plugins this way:

1. Close Lightroom.
    2. Launch LuminarAI .
    3. In the top menu click LuminarAI > File > Install Plugins.
    4. Click Uninstall next to LR.
    5. Reboot your Mac and launch LuminarAI .
    6. Click LuminarAI > File > Install Plugins.
    7. Click Install next to LR.

You may be prompted to enter your user password at some point, please do so.

Then, could you please try to access LuminarAI from Adobe Lightroom this way?

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI > You have an option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to LuminarAI, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Let me know how it goes now.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andrew Webb

Also, if I set the Export preference to 16bit then LuminarAI hangs at Exporting when I press Apply and doesn't exit cleanly.

Andrew Webb

Oddly, it just started working correctly after several failed attempts. I'll keep monitoring it.

Andrew Webb

I can replicate the issue. If I Export from Library module it works as expected. If I Export from Develop module the file doesn't return to Lightroom and it doesn't work.

Hi Andrew I have exactly the same problem. Will try the library mode. none of this is good enough though it should be working properly. Gary

Helga Rowles

Hi Andrew, 

When you invoke Luminar as a plugin, LR takes off the focus of the folder from which you took the photo to send to Luminar. When you hit Apply in Luminar, and your image gets put into the folder on your HDD, the only thing you need to do in order to make the image appear in LR is to click the folder where your photo was: LR will re-focus on the folder and pull the files that are currently in it.

Please make sure that you are in the Library mode (top bar) and navigate through your folders/ All Photographs (the left panel).

So, I'm in L/R I send a photo to AI to edit then AI sends the result to the originating folder on my hard drive. I then have to reimport that photo to L/R.

This is not normally how a plugin works.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member, this folder is added to your Lightroom library, right? If so, you simply have to click the folder where your photo was in Lightroom. There is no need to reimport the photo.

Andrew Webb

I agree. This isn't how a plugin should work. When you return from the plugin from any view (develop or library) the new image should appear automatically in the same folder as the original and be immediately visible in Lightroom without importing. Or if you edit the original them the original should be updated. You shouldn't need to import images again. Every other plugin works in the way I've described.

Kate Williams

Hi Andrew,

The original will never be updated because a TIFF copy is always sent back to Lightroom. Luminar never modifies the original image. 

Again - there's no need to reimport the photo. Please confirm that you've invoked the plugin this way: Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI >  Open Source Files / Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments. 

On my end, the photo showed up in the Library automatically regardless of where I invoked Luminar from (be it a Library module or Develop). 

Did you try clicking on the source folder in the LR Catalog? (see the example: http://prntscr.com/w6fe91)  

Andrew Webb

Hi Kate.

I think we agree on the first point. I think Lightroom is supposed to create a new TIFF file (if I export and edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments). Luminar seems to receive a file to edit but it doesn't appear in Lightroom after editing.

Yes, I have invoked the plugin in the way you described.

Some of the time nothing happens, some of the time Luminar opens and returns the file and it appears immediately in Lightroom with no extra steps needed and sometimes I edit the file in Luminar and when I click apply it returns to Lightroom and it's as if I've not done anything - there is no sign of the edited file in Lightroom in the original folder or anywhere I can see. And sometimes Luminar hangs after Apply and doesn't return back to Lightroom.

So it really does feel buggy. This is with LR 6.14 on Windows 10 latest updates.

Andy

Andrew Webb

Hi uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin a second time and I still can't get Luminar to return an image to Lightroom. Lightroom passes the image to Luminar and when it returns it's as if I've never edited it at all. There is no returned image.

Andrew Webb

Luminar says 'Exporting' with the crawling ant line progress bar. Then the line freezes for a couple of seconds and Luminar exits. Lightroom still says that it's exporting the image to Luminar, the message disappears and then nothing happens after that.

Andrew Webb

And what's more annoying is that when you open an image through the plugin feature you can't save the image manually or export it. So all the edits are lost. Meaning that you have to go through a slower workflow of exporting the image to a folder in Lightroom first and then finding it in Luminar to reliably edit it.

Andrew Webb

It still doesn't work reliably. I'm editing an HDR (.dng) image in Lightroom collection folder and Export to LuminarAI from the menu in the way described. The image opens in LuminarAI and edits nicely. When I Apply I'm dropped back in to Lightroom and there's no edited image anywhere. Can you reproduce this error ?

Andrew Webb

Good news, it's been stable for a couple of weeks now.

I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all drivers from all manufacturers as I previously had a built in ATI GPU. I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and now Luminar AI seems to run reliably and hasn't crashed during editing or export.

It turns out that the reason it was failing to return from plugin was because it was crashing during the return process. I only found out when I looked in Event Viewer.

Please sign in to leave a comment.