Luminar AI Feedback

Answered

Comments

14 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback. We appreciate it, and we are really grateful for your input.

I'm afraid that Luminar doesn't have advanced tools that would allow you to manage your folder structure. The 'Libraries' feature is designed to help you navigate through your images so you wouldn't have to open your Finder every time you want to edit a photo. This feature is not designed to help you manage your entire photo collection, and, moreover, Luminar is not an image-viewing software, but it is an app for image editing. That being said, we don't recommend adding your whole library to one Luminar Catalog. We would recommend you creating multiple catalogs for different kinds of edits and put ~5K images in each catalog.

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Londinense

This is an excellent digest of the pros and cons of Luminar AI. I haven't used it anywhere near as much, but feel much the same and and see no real need to switch to it from Luminar 4, which anyway is not my main photo editing app. I have a seven day trial and will continue to play around with it until it expires.

Nowadays, I use Luminar only for the sky replacement feature. You have not commented on that, but all I can say is that there is no advance in AI on the version in 4: how much that will change when the promised update with water reflection is released I don't know. In most cases sky replacement works pretty well, its main cons being the way the new skies can bleed into the foreground if it's got a lot of white or light colours in it and the inability to work with skies that are seen through a window doorway.

I haven't resolved the opening issues I have with the App yet so have not carried out any editing. All the options to "open" the App take between 45 and 50 seconds so you lose the will to live whilst waiting. Opening Photos takes 1.5 seconds. The above comprehensive notes on performance does not bode well for the App. There is a 30 day money back trial period from Download so that looks the most like route!!!!

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will be glad to help you.

Espen Vestre

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I haven't used Luminar AI for very long yet, but so far I'm not impressed. The suggested templates are mostly far too blunt and "over cooked". In one case, I just had to laugh, because a "Toscana sunset" with a fake sky was suggested for a sunset photo with a gorgeous sky to begin with :)

So, so far, Luminar AI seems to just gives me more of the things I couldn't case less about in Luminar 4, and I'm a bit frustrated now after having moved from LR some weeks ago. I might be tempted to go on to choose yet another software as my main tool and, as the OP also indicates, keep Luminar as an additional tool for when it excels.

Christopher Curtis

Kirk Osborn, Thanks for a constructive reply. I see that having a minimal catalog is a cost-benefit balance compared with only having the finder. I guess my view (especially as I find the copy-paste or syncing of adjustments pretty limited) is that the balance is not right yet. Too much cost and not enough benefit, at least yet. it is useful to know Skylum's intentions for the catalog and what will make it work the best (i.e. one temporary catalog per project to hold edits until you export the finished images) and it would be good if that were reinforced in the many affiliate and educator demos. That could be a more positive message than simply saying "Luminar does not have a DAM".

I was also talking about folders or categories in relation to templates, especially those I save myself. Simply having everything in one list as it is at present without being able to break it down (e.g. by category or put them into folders) will become painful very quickly, especially as you can't currently name a template when you save it. I had one project I was working on where there was stage lighting, which for each performer tended to give about 4 - 6 distinct light set-ups, and far beyond any simple colour or exposure correction: you need to retain the flavour of the stage lighting but also make sure that performers are recognisable (e.g. without green skin or with faces not in complete, inky, shadow). The obvious way to deal with that is 4-6 distinct lighting templates for each performer, to get every image into the right ballpark before further work. With five performers on stage and add in a few wider shots which have their own distinct lighting states and one project could be 20 - 60 templates on its own, each applied to maybe 10-30 images. It's not unusual for me to have 3,000 images from a performance. There are a lot of concert and performance photographers out there, and event photographers (even a birthday party or a family meal) will have similar challenges. 

Amreshwar Singh

I agree with the detailed analysis, thank you for sharing. Though till now havent used it that much as yet. The two functions I tried....the Erase leaves lot of smudges in the photo, something I never faced in Luminar4. The Perspective often does not righten the photo correctly, and I cant find anywhere one can do this manually to correct it. Luminar4 had a nice slider for the purpose. 

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Amreshwar Singh,

Thank you for sharing your user experience. Sorry to hear it did not go well. We would really appreciate if you sent us more details about your editing results via https://skylum.com/support. Please, enclose some screenshots and several images for testing, so we can take a closer look at this. Our team is always open for any feedback, since there is always some space for improvements. We do appreciate your input in this. Thank you.

Londinense

Sadly, Skylum expects people who have paid for Luminar AI to act as beta testers. I have already deleted my trial after just two days.

Dave Marcus

@Londinense, have you made any progress in getting a refund?  I have heard nothing from support.

Londinense

I had a 7-day trial, which I was able to sign up for as a Luminar 4 user, so no money exchanged hands thankfully.

Rick Ohnsman

Sadly, I have to agree with those who have written about being disappointed with Luminar AI.  I'm a reasonably skilled Lightroom editor and can pretty much create what I want with that, occasionally taking a dive into Photoshop for more sophisticated work.  I should have known when the advertising dwelled on what a "chore" editing is and how Luminar AI would give one-click results that this was a red flag.  As gourmet food takes time as opposed to fast-food, so does good photo editing.  Still, the "AI" hype intrigued me and I coughed up for your program, hopeful of seeing some new things. 

While waiting for the program to be released, Adobe released sky replacement capability in Photoshop, taking away that advantage for Luminar AI. 

So... now that I have the program I see that Templates are basically glorified presets.  Calling them "intelligent" would be generous as a good part of the time they fail to offer the correct template for the image.  Even when they do, I find the color suggestions garish and "trendy" as opposed to something a professional photo editor might do.  Adding rainbows or a space shuttle?  Funny one time... maybe.

Diving into the Editing portion of the program, everything is clunky and leaves me wanting to scurry back to Lightroom.

Will I seek a refund?  I keep hoping I've overlooked something and there will be at least one feature that might have me bring an image into Luminar AI on occasion.  Or that perhaps this first release will markedly improve and I should hang with it a while until an upgrade comes forth.

I've only had the program a short while some maybe I've missed something?  Hope so, because right now call me "unimpressed."  

John West

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your through and helpful thoughts. I have been editing some old RAW files using a RAW Optics AI template that I made, adding this then going to Composition AI and I am extremely happy with the suggestions which often surprise me with their suggested crop.

The things I miss most from L.4 are a decent size histogram with a shortcut, and the lack of Alt key function with the Black & White sliders.

Even though the program is slower to load overall I am happy with it and await the release of updates which I am sure the staff are busy working on.

Matthew Stough

Finally someone at Skylum enticed me with a "loyal" upgrade discount that is almost good enough for me to buy Luminar AI (since I've owned every version of Luminar since 1, and every version of Aurora).  So, I decided to run the 7 day trial on my MacBook Pro 16" 2019 model maxed with hardware capabilities.  Thus far, as many of these forum posts reveal, the speed is atrociously s   l    o     w.

When Aperture was abandoned by Apple, I went for MacPhun's, I mean Skylum's, DAM messaging, but sadly that has resulted in a whole lot of nothingness, except for the irritation of trying to use the software as a single image editor and avoid any of the woeful DAM trappings still present.  Ditch the whole DAM aspect.

Next, in trying out "Templates," I find the rendering is not real time.  Apply a template and slide the 'amount' adjustment to a different value and while sliding you see no change.  In all my previous Luminar versions, starting with "Neptune," real-time adjustment changes happened.  Not that it should matter, I'm running on Big Sur latest released update.

Surprising for me is how effective Retroactive is (v.1.9) for Aperture on Big Sur.  Aperture is as nimble and full-featured as the day it turned version 3.x.x, and it's 2021 and the software was abandoned in 2014.  Edits are live, and the best (and perhaps most disturbing) aspect is that while in Aperture, I can pull in and use Luminar 4 and ... in my humble opinion the best Skylum product that you have now abandoned ... Luminar Flex as plug-ins, round tripping none the less, and they are fantastic.  I did a wedding in October using Aperture and Flex and have received raves from the newlyweds!

Back to Luminar AI...I understand you want to tell us, and it is probably true, that the underlying AI algorithms are all new (save for those you ported from Luminar 4!) and that we should expect some hiccups.  However, Skylum (and since being Skylum) has not the track record of ever improving these issues.  As several point out, you keep stating the "devs have two priorities..." but we see no reliablility improvements, and now another new direction from Skylum, dummy-less AI photo editing.

I'll play with the trial til the end but at a "loyal" discount for 2 seats (which by the way is cheesy enough) at $75, I am not likely to purchase because I'd have rather paid a fair upgrade of $49 or less for Luminar 5!

Better yet, restart Luminar Flex 2!

Please sign in to leave a comment.