Catalogue color versus preview/edit color

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Richard Harrington

The catalog is showing you the JPEG preview...

The raw is raw data.   Watch the back part of this video to see about DNG Camera profiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVQZj7OCwFM&list=PLQlozenYb0jDBXLRwG0u34SlxjKcNmzjz&index=6

Comment actions Permalink
    Chris Gross

Hi Richard, 

Thank you a lot for your fast response. I watched the (brand new!) video and finally got an understanding of DNG :). But I still have two questions to increase my understanding and would very much appreciate your help.

1) As mentioned above, I have selected in Luminar to show the JPEG and RAW separately (not as one). I would have expected, that I would see the JPG in edit mode like the original JPEG and not like the RAW. In my initial posting, the first pale owl is when I opened the CR2,  the second pale owl is the JPEG (was also shown in the filename on the screen). Shouldn't the JPEG in edit look like the catalogue then, if the catalogue is showing the  JPEGs? Or does the RAW always have precedence over JPG, as it has more information?

2) I understand that I need to convert my pix to DNG, not because CR2 is not supported, but to get access to the camera profiles. My library has 24K of files and ~500 GB, and I'd mainly need the 100 files I picked from random folders and put in an album. Any hint on how to convert only them efficiently - not to duplicate the size on my hard drive?

Thank you!
    Christof

Kahwen Hsiao

Richard Harrington

Hi, the syncing issue between the catalog previews and the actual editing is still not fixed (already reported to Julia (the PM) during beta testing. Currently I have to do an Erase Edit on each of my Sony A7III RAW files to force the thumbnails to sync with my editing.

This issue is perhaps the most obvious by drastically changing the white balance. For example, the preview at the bottom of the Edit interface would show a blueish temperature, even my editing has changed the overall white balance to quite warm (or sometimes the opposite), and once I do a random Erase edit, the preview would start to sync with my editing. This is also true for Catalog previews.

The previews, whether in Catalog or Edit, should ALWAYS show the correct representation of the RAW or edited RAW.

Alina Skylum

Hi,

The thing is that the difference between the unedited photo in the main edit window and its preview on loading is normal behavior for all RAW files. 

RAWs contain what's called an embedded JPEG - it's a JPEG with automatic adjustments applied by the camera. Your camera uses it to display a preview, and image viewing software might also show the embedded JPEG. Embedded JPEG is not how your camera shot the photo, it's a beautified version of it. When you open an image in Luminar, you might see a JPEG preview for a bit, while original RAW is being loaded. That's why your RAWs are more neutral after loading.

However, once the image is edited, there should be no difference between the preview and the main edit window. 

Speaking of the difference in the edit and catalog view. our dev team is currently investigating this issue to provide a solution asap. Thanks for your understanding.

Chris Gross

Kahwen Hsiao, thank you a lot for your support and input! It's a pity that this seems to be a known issue.

Alina Skylum, thank you as well - though that's something I already understood when Richard responded. What I see as a second shortcoming beyond the "raw-preview" is that even when I work on JPEGs (which are parts of pairs of JPEG + RAW) the JPEG changes - as pointed out in my posting above. 

Nevertheless - and sorry to say - Luminar AI is too much of green banana for me. I've been sitting until three .a.m in the morning to smooth and polish some images for a simple calendar. My wife selected them into a Luminar AI Album - therefore, I did not want to go back and endured the pain of performance issues and colour flashes.

I'll check back later when this product is (hopefully) at the level of its promises. 

Kahwen Hsiao

Alina Skylum

I've recorded how to duplicate this bug under Win 10 here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NCntB3rMz4SGpDJfu9rzik2Krwbp2DwB?usp=sharing

Please sign in to leave a comment.