Luminar AI leaving color artifacts in shadows

Answered

Comments

13 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to hear you've faced this issue.

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs and troubleshoot it. Please send us a screen recording of the issue. 
    You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request to support@skylum.com.

Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Barry Kwok

Have you enabled Skin AI?

I also found those artifacts in some images when Skin AI is enabled, especially near the hair area

however, same settings in Luminar 4 won't produce such artifacts

Don Evans Photography

Barry Kwok I did try skin AI, but I disabled it because I found it leaving "skin artifacts"... My experience with it is that it does a pretty poor job.  Anyway, the answer is no, it was not on this image.  And, if you look at the one picture I attached, the noise was most extreme down at the legs in the deep shadows.  So, I'm thinking the skin AI would not be the culprit.  thanks.

German Bueso

I've been having that same issue since luminar 4, so the time I "save" retouching I need to spend it later removing that crap. I hope they fix that soon or I prefer to get my money back.

Barry Kwok

i found that if an image is with SRGB color space, it would generate less artifacts

the same image with ProPhoto colorspace (16bit tiff), it would generate more artifacts

Don Evans Photography

Anton Nyman 100% of all of my images begin in Lightroom, and I am using the Luminar AI plugin.  So I don't think that using/not using Lightroom is a factor.  That is to say, as long as others are experiencing these artifacts when using Luminar AI as a stand alone product.

Keith Spurlock

That's minor compared to what I got! One photo only so far and it reproduceable. Plug in from Photoshop, hit apply and came back into Photoshop with multi-colored artifacts all over the grooms black tuxedo. Like a string of Christmas tree lights!

Keith Spurlock

Keith Spurlock

I was able to duplicate this.  I deleted the layer in Photoshop with the artifact, saved then rebooted the PC, started up photoshop, Filter, Luminar AI plugin, did the same edits, hit apply and the same artifacts came back into Photoshop.  So far it's only on this photo.

Keith Spurlock

This post is marked "Answered" but I don't see any answers here.  Don Evans Photography, did you get an answer or fix from Skylum yet?

Don Evans Photography

Keith Spurlock below is their response.  I have not provided a screen recording, but please feel free to do so and provide it to them.

But, at least i've confirmed it's not just me, as you're not the only additional user to see this.  My guess is that it's going unnoticed with a lot of users because you don't necessarily see it at first in a lot of instances until zooming in (or cropping later).  But when you do see it, you can plainly tell that your image is ruined and you need to start all over again.

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to hear you've faced this issue.

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs and troubleshoot it. Please send us a screen recording of the issue. 
    You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request to support@skylum.com.

Thanks in advance!

Noah Butler

Did you ever find a fix for this? I'm getting these artifacts in all of the shadow areas of the portraits I'm currently editing.

Don Evans Photography

Noah Butler I have not received word of any "fix".  However, I have not seen this issue occur in some time.  It may be because I'm not shooting as many images with deep blacks though, which seems to be where it is occurring when your blacks are crushed,

Please sign in to leave a comment.