Sky Replacement Glitch in Luminar 4 and Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

18 comments

Richard Harrington

A major update (including reflections) is slated for next year...   but please make sure you explore all the controls.

https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/sky-ai-tool

Comment actions Permalink
    David Ullman

Thanks for the note Richard.  Perhaps, this should have been considered a" major problem" and fixed before AI was launched.  After all, Sky Replacement is the major feature that brought Skylum into sharper focus among the photography community.  As I've noted, I have the problem with L4 and now with AI.  IO cannot believe I'm the only person experiencing this problem. (As already mentioned).

The problem is, I believe, important enough to return my copy of Luminar AI and I'll just wait until sometime next year. Which in all likelihood means Skylum may lose a customer.  If anyone at Skylum cares.

Thanks for your attention.

David Ullman

David Ullman

I need to add one last thought... your response to my original note, doesn't even come close to being an answer.

Londinense

Luminar's sky replacement tool is far from perfect. It only works really well when the original sky is quite even or  has only light or thin clouds in it. Otherwise, as you say, it can bleed through into the replacement. I have sometimes been able to minimise that by erasing or cloning out the offending elements in the original sky.

Another limitation, which is easier to fix, is that the replacment sky will bleed through into white or light-coloured buildings in the foreground. 

And a third is that it won't recognise skies seen through, doorways, windows etc.

These issues have not been addressed in Luminar AI, which I have on 7-day trial, and which I shall not be purchasing!

David Ullman

While my issues/problems with Luminar 4 and Luminar AI are a bit different than Londinense has described, I'm not going to keep Luminar AI.  As Mr. Harrington has said or implied: sometime next year there will be an upgrade.  I might even try it...sometime next year.

Londinense

David: I have already deleted my 7-day trial. I will stick with v4, despite its limitations. But only for sky replacement. I use a much more useful app for most of my photo editing.

David Ullman

I've been shopping a bit.  Which editing app are you using?

Londinense

When I decided to quit Lightroom a year ago, I bought both On1 Photo Raw and Luminar 4, since both offered a fairly easy learning curve for Lightroom users. Both worked pretty well, but I eventually decided on On1, partly because it has a Lightroom migration feature. This proved to be not so great, but it was a start. I believe there is now a third party option for Luminar.

I will continue to use Luminar 4 for the occasional sky replacement. When it doesn't work, I can do it in On1 just as well, using masks and layers. It just takes several minutes rather than one click.

People speak highly of Capture One and Affinity Photo, but they have a less Lightroom-like interface, so I decided they were not for me.

I should add that I also have Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen AI. This is because I have often shot hand-held in low light and high ISO and no other programme can handle that as well (not even Photoshop). And I have wildlife shots taken with a fairly inexpensive telephoto, which the stabilise feature in Sharpen does an excellent job on.

David Ullman

After reading the information that Londinense was kind to provide I've concluded that while I've really been impressed and frustrated by Skylum and it's products. Notably LR and now Luminar AI.  Marketing a piece of software with unresolved important issues/problems drives me nuts.  Customer service is always an issue... but companies that are truly concerned with customer service usual solve problems with genuine answers rather than a pitch for upcoming features and improvements... or... that "we are working hard" to solve a problem. I've made my thoughts known in Skylum's Community Forum.  But...

The response from Londinense makes it clear that today's photographer, someone who wants to work with a picture he/she really likes in order to make that picture better, will probably have several pieces of software at hand.  That makes sense to me. The result is that L4 and Luminar AI perform many tasks quickly and easily. So maybe I have to be a bit more circumspect in my judgements. Maybe.  

I've just finished working on a prototype picture... and the problem I have discussed here in this forum did not appear.  The sky was replaced perfectly and minor "fine tunes"  were effortless.  However, the problem may raise it's ugly head in the near future.  At which point I'll swear out loud, and fiddle with it until I get it right or give it up... before going into my stash of programs.  

companies

roger hersee

You are correct: Sky replacement needs major improvement. Glitches can sometimes be overcome by fiddling with the extra controls but the whole idea of AI (I thought) was to speed things up and avoid such meddling.

David Ullman

Well, in the past two hours I've been fussing with the picture I like.  Replacing the sky is critical. Of course, that when the same old problem discussed above happened.  I think I have t do some serious shopping.

roger hersee

How long do we have to try this before we lose the chance of a refund?

I'll be happy to keep L4 for the time being...

Londinense

Regarding sky replacement, I think it's something I have learned to live with, since I don't do it that often, preferring my originals to speak for themselves.

This is an original:

With sky replacement, the fact that the cloud to the left of the tower is still there is less of a problem than the strange artefacts the left and slightly above the facade:

Londinense

In this instance, I'd probably want to look elsewhere (NB different replacement sky and I didn't apply all the refine tools)

David Ullman

The artifacts are sure easy to spot. They're also frustrating. They also should not happen.  And that's a flaw, a big flaw, in L4 and in Luminar AI. Skylum sold AI hard, sold a lot of programs I'm sure but when it comes to a problems their answer is that they'll be providing free update next year.   Again, thanks for the information.

I think I'll try ON1-RAW.  

Londinense

One of the Skylum reps said on another thread recently that there is an "under-the-hood" mask in Sky AI. If it were not under the hood, it could be edited and the offending original sky elements removed.

David Ullman

Thanks for the information.  What the Skylum rep had to say tells me a couple of things:  1)If you're a programmer it sounds like a relatively easy fix. 2) You hardly ever get a straight answer from these folks. The next question is why wasn't this problem caught and fixed BEFORE the release of AI? 3) In my experience with Skylum they make promises and don't keep them. (ie: the promise of a DAM). These are signs of a careless company.  

Sky replacement is a KEY feature of AI.  It has a problem. (the problem exists int LR, too). The problem should be resolved and a FREE FIX sent to all customers with the speed of summer lightning.  By Skylum doesn't get it. Probably never will. 

David Ullman

That should read "the problem exists in LR4, too."  sorry about that.

Please sign in to leave a comment.