importing LUT's

Answered

Comments

30 comments

Austin Miller

Hello Michael. Please note that you can add only one LUT at a time. I will pass your concern to our tech department so they can take it into consideration.

Comment actions Permalink
    Cody Jacques

Hey Michael, I'm in a similar situation. I possess a countless number of .CUBE LUT's in around a hundred different folders.

I found that it is possible to move your personal LUT's into Luminar ai's LUT folder allowing them all to show up in the default LUT list. However, it's clearly not designed to handle the quantity of LUT's I own. The app lags horrible when I open the LUT list and when I select a LUT the it either does nothing, glitches the image, or crashes the program.

I'm going to select 20 of my favorite LUT's and only place those in the folder. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Michael Schleider

Cody Did you move the LUTs into your personal folder one at a time or could you copy and paste a group at one time.

I found that I could copy all my Skys into the Libribray folder in the Group container and have them all show.  Wonder where the cube files are stored and if they can be manually moved as well.

Cody Jacques

I don't know anything about "Sky's"

The Luminar AI LUT folder was easy to find. Off the top of my head (on Windows) It was something like
    Programs > Luminar AI > Luts
    I imagine it will be similar on Mac.

I copied over my entire LUT library all at once. So a folder containing folders with up to 4 levels of subfolders. In all it's 1,000+ LUT's, most of which are .CUBE but I know there are over a hundred .xmp LUT's too which I believe are proprietary for Adobe software so I should at least delete those.

Cody Jacques

Also, Luminar AI displayed the base level folders containing LUT's in it's Mood LUT list (under the Creative tab) so it's definitely designed to work with folders.

Cody Jacques

On Windows
    C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar AI\Data\LutFiles

Roy Blackwell

Note there is a potential risk of putting you own LUTS in the default Luminar LUT location. That risk is that a future update to Luminar AI may delete them, so keep a backup copy of any files you place in this folder.

Cody Jacques

Michael, I removed my LUT catalog and only added 50 LUT's to the LUT Files folder and it works perfectly.

Cody Jacques

Roy, thanks for the heads up. I really hope the Dev's would reconsider their approach to custom luts. Instead of the "Load Coustom LUT File..." functionality they should consider replacing it with a "Open LUT Folder... " button. This approach is how DaVanci Resolve implements custom LUT's.

It seems crazy to me that I'm expected to blindly load one custom LUT at a time when the program has a perfectly fine preview functionality.

Michael Schleider

I have tried to find the Lutfiies on the Mac and i am unable to do so.

I did find where all the Files are located in the Resources folder but they have the cube files imbedded in them.

New problem tonight.  Both Luminar 4 and Luminar AI catalogs are corrupt.  My Folders all have exclamation marks in both catalogs I will have to remove and reinstall the program.

Margaret Bright

Hi Michael,

When you see an exclamation mark on the folders, it means that the app has lost connection to the folders with your images. If the images are on your external drive, please make sure it is properly connected.

Then right-click on the root folder and choose Locate folder. Then simply point the app to the location of your folder and confirm your choice. The images should get reconnected.

Michael Schleider

I did that for one and it worked.  But what is odd it happened to both my Luminar AI and Luminar 4 Folders at exactly the same time.Since I imported about 20 folders in each program I ran out of patience.

I completed deleted Luminar Ai and Luminar 4. (used app cleaner). I did a fresh download I had to input my license key as well.  Then I selected all my Picture folders at once and reinstalled them.  Then luminar (4 and ai) updated the catalog once again.  There is a bug in both programs.

Michael Schleider

Cody it seems that the pc version of luminar has a different file structure. I would like to do as you did and add a selection of my LUT files into the system folder. In a Mac they are in the Library. I found all the templates, skies but no LUT folder. 

Amy Maranto

Michael 

Based on this conversation I found the following on my Mac:

Contents/Frameworks/MIPLResources.framework/Resources/DefaultLUTs/ then I added my folders

They now turn up, with previews with the other preinstalled LUTs. I guess we will see if that holds and the software continues to run. I'm keeping a backup of these files as Roy suggested above.

Michael Schleider

Amy,

I thought for sure this would be the solution

I can not find this or subsets of this location anywhere on my Mac

am I missing something??

Contents/Frameworks/MIPLResources.framework/Resources/DefaultLUTs/

Amy Maranto

Hi Michael, I am going to attempt to attach a screenshot, to show you what mine looks like, but what you typed looks right to me.

Just in case it matters, I did close Luminar AI while I was doing this and then reopened it when I was finished and it worked. Not sure that would it would matter if the program was open or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Michael Schleider

This is amazing.  None of the directories that you have here are on my computer.  The only Framework directory is an Adobe.  I searched for any of the folders in your data path and they just do not exist.

Where is your Contents Directory in.  I would assume it would have been in the Luminar AI

Amy Maranto

Very interesting, I am getting to that first screenshot a completely different way. Here are my steps and a screenshot of how I got to the "Contents" folder.

Finder/Applications/LuminarAI/ which I then "control-click" and "Show Package Contents" is visible/ then the Contents folder which you see in my first screenshot is visible and I go from there.

Michael Schleider

I do not know how you figured this out but it works like a charm.  Thanks.

Have you done the same thing with Luminar 4.  It seems to have a different file structure.

Amy Maranto

I actually made the leap from Luminar 3 to AI.

I was trying to figure this out in part because I have files in 3 that I really want to use.

Thank you for posting the original question because it was a combination of this conversation and a couple of tutorials that I managed to figure out how we would be able to bring in LUTs.

I'm super pleased that you were also able to make this work on your computer.

Michael Schleider

Thank you for shot me where the framework folders are. I am now going to add my own augmented skys. It’s really easy. 
    today Harrington sent me a video ta add my own watermarks. Check this out.

https://vimeo.com/492188365/3a1895ccda

Amy Maranto

Yes, no problem at all.

So that video was on a second instance of a sky, very interesting. Did you also have one about watermarking? because I am struggling with that a bit.

Michael Schleider

Try this. https://youtu.be/TumoVTFhcIg

Amy Maranto

Thank you, Michael, I had seen this, and I am currently working with this in my workflow. 

Just something I am working on that I haven't fully tweaked to my liking, but something you might also be interested in thinking about is this. I used the video above in the following way. Open a file that already has the other edits I want completed. Then follow the steps and apply the watermark. Then I saved just those steps as a template and named it "watermark". The idea is that I then have a template that is just the watermark. What I am trying to figure out next is how to add this template as the last step on original edits without having to save the image and then reopen it. It's just clunky right now, but I am working on it.

Michael Schleider

good idea.  I saved them to my Catalog so I can apply the watermarks to any photo.  It worked great. but 

I like your template idea.  I will try that.  By the way this is an augmented Reality picture with the Statue of liberty in Sag Harbor NY

Amy Maranto

The sky works, it's kind of fun, all the possibilities.

Derik Tran

Voted yes to this one too!  Same for textures.  Mass upload utility

Keith Spurlock

I would recommend that Skylum move the default location for the LUTS (and any other addons) to the, "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Luminar\LUTS" location in Windows.  This way you can create a backup and make it easier when upgrading or migrating to a new PC.  Adding data (downloaded or personally created LUTS) to the  "C:\Program Files" location is really a bad location and not recommended with any data, Skylum or not.  Only program related files belong there, not data/addons/LUTS, etc...

Thank you so much for this explanation Amy Maranto. It helped alot. I managed to put my luts in the defaultluts folder and it works like a charm.

Amy Maranto

You are welcome, glad it worked. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.