Luminar AI slow and laggy

Answered

Comments

111 comments

Tony Eastmead

I'm back at Luminar 4 which seems to have been abandoned for AI which I am sure will also be ignored shortly for Neo or something else. A company with no integrity.

Comment actions Permalink
    Digital Interplay

Pretty interesting that neo is targeted as lightening fast.

Maybe skylum should give everyone who has complained in here a license for the new one and let us decide if it’s faster or not. I took a screenshot of the flowing. Banner. It’s great if they did figure out how to make this faster- but didn’t so get plugged as faster too? New image engine… cool - maybe that’s why it’s faster but what about the people who allowed you ti stay in business purchasing software they used ten times because it was so bad?

maybe it’s lightening fast * 

*minimum requirement can be seen here.https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/compute/hpc/supercomputing/cray-exascale-supercomputer.html

This is just outrageous. Instead of fixing their broken software, they just release a new version. I'm not spending one more dime on this piece of crap software until they actually care to fix existing issues. And I own luminar 4, luminar ai and other of their software. Luminar, you're losing a client and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Anthony Kappler

I am sitting here reading all the comments about how Luminar AI is slow and I agree it's going really slow.  I have 23,324 pictures and most are raw some were shot with an a7r 2 and some on an a7r 4 (45-60mb raw files).  Since the files are so large I had to move most of them off my pc to external drive which is connected with an USB C, my pc specs are Ryzen 5 5600x, 36gb of ram, 2 internal m.2 drives and 3 internal ssds and AMD radeon 5700xt.  Even reading files off the m.2 drive is a little laggy, it still does load quicker than from the external drives but I was hoping to migrate off of Lightroom which pulls the external photos fairly quickly and allows me to edit them faster.  So I am at a loss of what I should do.  I like what Luminar does but I can't sit there and wait 5-10 seconds to even begin editing.  

Craig Smith

I purchased Luminar AI last week but found it's slow beyond belief, even though I have a new and powerful PC and I don't edit many photos at a time. I was hoping to find a solution, but having read this thread it seems there is none.

I already have Luminar 4 which I like and will continue to use and I managed to get a pre-order upgrade to Neo at a great price of £25.

I eventually gave up on Luminar AI and requested a refund, which to be fair to Skylum, they acted upon within 24 hours.

Here's hoping Luminar Neo avoids this fiasco.

Lloyd O'Daniel

Don't count on it, Craig.

Lee Berman-Photo

After I watch the promotional video I decided to buy it. In the beginning I treated very selected images one by one. Recently I decided to shoot only in raw and to treat all my images with Luminar and ... now I realize it is totally unusable. I had to export 400 files it took forever! Too late for my money back guarantee but I decided to abandon it anyway.

I’m curious if the Neo version, announced as “lighting fast” is better or the same kind of crab. Anyone tested it yet?

Ashfaque Khan

This program as well as all other software have been laggy, buggy and slow at some time or the other, but Luminar AI takes th cake. Looks like Skylum doesn't take user feedback seriously. No matter what kind of latest hardware you use, the program will not disappoint you and true it's nature will always run infinitely slow, freeze most times and just frustrate you no end. Looking at their track record i don't have any high hopes for Neo.

Tony Eastmead

Skylum is not a service business. It has a business plan that is based around constantly pushing out new software, with a few extra features, and promoting the hell out of it through online partners that make money from ignoring the product's ongoing shortfalls. Customers who have bought into the lie, are abandoned along the way. I have totally given up on Luminar 4 because of its pitiful performance that made it unusable in the real world, and nothing much has changed along the way by the looks. Lightroom is bliss after this rubbish. 

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Ashfaque Khan!

I answered your question regarding performance issues in this post:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010599139?page=2#comments

I would appreciate it if you could provide us with additional information so we could help you to improve the app's performance. Many thanks for considering my request.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Tony!

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you've had an unpleasant experience using our software.

As for releasing new software, we do release paid upgrades or new applications once a year or two, and we usually ship free updates for our software for 12-24 months. I'm afraid it is not possible to bake new features we want to share with the audience into Luminar 4 or even Luminar AI because a new architecture is required. This new core engine will also give a performance boost. 

As far as the performance in Luminar 4 is concerned, usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your Catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Could you please clarify your major concern in terms of performance?

How many images are there in your Catalog, and where are they located?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lee Berman-Photo

Sorry, is that a joke? Even with a catalogue of only one image and a very decent hardware it takes much too long to export the final result. And indeed, your tech teams will have to rewrite the core engine entirely before it becomes acceptable.

I must admit that your marketing material is excellent, such a shame the source of your business (the software) isn’t! I regret to have invested in Luminar and I switched to DXO (test version at the moment), which seem much more efficient.

Agatha Winter

Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with our software! 

If you're interested in troubleshooting, I invite you to reach out to our support team via https://skylum.com/support. They'll take a closer look at your particular case. For that, please let them know your hardware configuration:

N.B. The links are clickable and show the screenshots that can guide you, if necessary.

Here is the video tutorial on how to retrieve your system infohttps://www.loom.com/share/97aff7951ee3412daa020f1d88eb36e8     

Thanks in advance!

Tony Eastmead

Lee. I see you got the standard auto-generated response that I and everyone gets, basically saying that the problem must be at your end and nothing to do with rubbish software. Such a shame because Luminar had potential and there are aspects I liked, but Skylum's business plan of selling potential and then abandoning its customers to write comments like ours is the end result. 

And posting those rubbish generic answers only adds insult to injury. Seriously, I have a Ryzen 3900x setup that renders videos in minutes. Stop treating us like idiots. I know we obviously are, because we bought into the lie, but still...

Imran Dawood

So its not just me. Its problem at the root. I was wondering why my 11th Gen Core i7 with 32GB ram is struggling with this rubbish software named Luminar and Luminar AI. money wasted

Yea let's introduce Luminar Neo!

Helga Rowles

Hi Imran,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Luminar AI.

There used to be a global issue with 11th Intel graphics card that resulted in edits not being applied to the image preview: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058136/graphics/graphics-for-11th-generation-intel-processors.html 

Intel has already released a driver that should fix it.

Does it sound like the issue you're having? If so, please, make sure that your Intel drivers are up-to-date.

If it's not the case, would you mind reaching us at http://skylum.com/support so we can collect more information about the issue?

Stop this bs already. It's your software that's at fault. Stop giving excuses and pointing elsewhere. I have an amd Ryzen 3900x with 32gb ram and your software runs super slow.

Imran Dawood

The issue about 11th gen intel is ten months old, so I don't see how it is valid anymore. I've all the latest drivers installed. If you still want to blame something else, then you have to try harder as I've abysmal and slow performance on these below machines:

1- Intel Macbook Pro 2014. 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 1TB SSD. 16GB ram with Dual graphics. Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. I know GPU doesn't matter here because Luminar can't even use them.

2- Intel NUC. i7 11th Gen. 32GB ram. Samsung 980Pro PCI 4.0 SSD.

3. Lenovo Yoga. i7 11th Gen. 16GB Ram. PCI 4.0 NVME SSD.

These are not the fastest machines in the world, but they are not slow either. They should handle a catalogue of 20 pictures. Yes, 20 pictures catalogue!

My Macbook pro works perfectly fine with Lightroom with thousands of images catalogue.

Helga Rowles

Thanks for your reply, Imran.

We are still receiving emails from users who are experiencing the issue with 11th gen Intel due to the fact that the latest Intel updates haven't been installed, so I wanted to make sure that this was not the issue that you were facing. 
    As for GPU, Luminar does use it for certain tasks, but it's true that it relies on CPU more.
    If you'd like us to see whether something can be done to increase Luminar's speed on your end, please contact our support team. If we don't find a satisfying solution, we can refund your purchase.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member,

One of our support agents will reach you regarding the issue you're having asap.

Please sign in to leave a comment.