Luminar AI slow and laggy

Answered

Comments

114 comments

Guys - NOBODY - believes this spec/driver story. This isn't even the only thread like this on your own forum.

Every other app from every other provider works fine on my 16 core Threadripper & 1080Ti, and that includes many more powerful apps than Luminar AI.

So instead of "we know it's slow, we're looking into optimisations, re-writing some core libraries" etc, I'm just hearing "this is simply never going to be addressed." You can't fix a problem that you can't admit you have.

Comment actions Permalink
    Leonard Smith

I'm still working with support on this issue. It is clearly the software not responding properly. I just built a new editing pc with an i9 10850k @5ghz with an RTX 3090, 32gb of 3600mhz ram while using NVME drive for all edits. I use a 200hz ultrawide monitor, for silky smooth mouse cursor editing. While in Luminar AI or Luminar 4, Stuttering (massive frame drop) occurs while moving sliders, zooming in and also masking. 

John Layne

Same issues here laptop with intel and Nvidia graphics, a preview of an edited photo is taking 30sec to load. I've given up, the software is unusable, I bought this intending to move away from Adobe lightroom, but this software is broken and has been for some time now. The simplistic responses from the Skylum team in the forums is disappointing.

Stephan

The Mac Version (Macbook Air M1) is now realy fast with the last version 1.2.0. Export tooks about 30 seconds before. Now only 4-5 seconds. 

So there is just a problem on the windows version?

Digital Interplay

This is why I won’t buy another Skylum product - at least until I can run a demo long enough to see they’ve changed. I was a sucker on the last one which basically didn’t run on my hardware - well within spec for the program. They focused on creating a new version, again, instead of optimising. If you look back it’s the same story every release.

Furthermore it’s clear they’re a mac developer and windows is a secondary market grab to not exclude profit- though they clearly have limited expertise or care about that platform.

It sucks too because the program can get great results. But it’s unusable on both of my windows machines. So no more for me. Instead I opted for a couple photoshop control panels which basically accomplish the same thing with more intervention / control on industry standard software which may at some point bridge to iPad.

I hate leaving this comment but - they just won’t optimise. What can you do.

Eric LAMBERT

Digiplay, could you share with us, all Luminar AI frustrated users, which photoshop control panels you are using? Thanks

Digital Interplay

Hi Eric,
    I don’t think it’s fair to get into their competitors on this site- I’m sorry. I do feel comfortable saying that a large part of what I do is luminosity masking and you may also want to look at frequency separation for portraits. None of it is quite as simple as what luminar offers, though not hard with the right tools.

If there’s a way to take this conversation elsewhere I’m happy to, I’d prefer not to place my email on this forum (and you likely feel the same)

Before anything I would say contact skylum. Their support is fair. I don’t think skylum is a bad company, which is part of what frustrates me so much. I just think they need to take some time off from releasing new features and programs to do a considerable revision.

Michael Stenberf

I love the results I hate how slow it is and laggy overall.  I am on a laptop and I guess this thread does confirm how the slowness isn't really isolated to my laptop alone (a Dell XPS 9575)

But given that I just spend over an hour editing photos and only edited 11 photos this isn't really effective for my time management at all.

I have tried for years but this slowness is a bad factor overall.  There should be a quicker method to select editing options, edit photos for export to queue up (but not start) then have them all queue/export as a batch later when you're done from RAW format.  This would at least let me get the slowest final part with exporting the final projects exported as well (even though you can select multiple photos to export this also doesn't have the option to export 2 photo edits from one photo so it has to be done one by one and the process is painfully slow to keep waiting and waiting and waiting on a response).

I don't even manage my photos in the program because it is so slow but use Microsoft Photos to then find photos to then open with Luminar AI because Luminar AI is so slow beyond reasonable norms that I then use it last.

Kyle Georges

I went through loopholes to upgrade my MacBook Pro (2009 model) and iMac (2011 model) to finally get this software after own it for a month and yet, it’ is extremely slow. While it sport great edits, I am unable to work under a professionally timetable with clients using this. Therefore, it reduces productivity and etched away from the value I bring to the clients, turnaround time from post-production. The people who have paid their money for this product have and are speaking up about action needed to be done about this and we need Skylum to do the same, please!

Igor Mijić

I will try to post this on every single forum topic that I can find regarding this and similar problems. For Mac users, all your problems with overheating or RAM usage or any other problems regarding LUMINAR AI will go away whit one simple solution. Transfer your images to Apple could and open them with Apple photos app and klick edit. When image opens in edit you can klick tree dots in the corner and there you will see the list of programs that you own and that are supported as a plugin in Apple photos. Use Luminar Ai as a plugin in apple photos and all problems will go away... don't know why but it will. Hope this will help. :D

Digital Interplay

The problems go away because you’re using an Apple native image format - you can do the same thing using software that came with your camera and various other. That said you may want to check file sizes and quality. It may not be for everyone as the quality may be adjusted. Furthermore you may be editing a smaller local version of the file in Apple photos - so check that.

It may be a good interim solution but in the end, you should be able to edit your images in camera native formats. Lightroom and photoshop have 0 issues with this, they don’t require dng conversion. And I am sure there are trade offs in doing this, like grunging up your photo library with multiple edits and not using real photography catalog software. There may well also be quality penalties.

Igor Mijić

Don't know... the image was cropped so... after doing the editing on Luminar AI as plug in this is information I have on the photo. I still don't know if there is an downside to that but if you find one let me know.

Devon Veillette

I'm still having this issue and seems to not improve at all. Recently posted to reddit too with all my specs etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LuminarAI/comments/ovutih/laminar_ai_brutally_slow_is_there_a_way_to_manage/

Digital Interplay

Looking at your specs the fastest way to increase your responsiveness is go off Retina display. Half your resolution. It’s not a good fix. But it will help performance a lot. Still it would be great if they put a feature freeze in place until they fixed the issues they have.

Luminar is still super slow. I've terminated my Adobe subscription recently and I'm looking at capture one. Luminar is just meh, unfortunately

Jonas Rocha

Something new about it? Too slow, nout useful at all.

Sam Walker

Sigh, same issue here.
    3.7 GHz AMD 6 core processer (Socket AM3+), 32 GB DDR3 Ram, 6GB SATA drive, Nvidia 1660 Super OC

Note all power saving features in BIOS are truned off, so the Core speeds are never throttled.

Used Ultradefrag and did a full optimization, including the MFT file.

Vegas Pro 18, GIMP and other software load times sped up noticeably. With only 3 pictures in the catalog, Luminar Ai takes 4 minutes and 20 seconds to load in the 1.4 update and causes severe lag in any other program running at the time. Same as what it was before the defrag. Response to applying effects causes waiting for  20-30 seconds to see the result. BTW load time was INCREASED when I updated to the latest version.

In Luminar 4 on this system, the effects were applied within 5 seconds. Load time was reasonable, maybe 40 seconds with a catalog of over 400 images.

I find I use 4 more often for pictures that don't need the extra Ai enhancements.

Skylum needs to address this, and keep the users informed of the progress. As it stands at this time, I will warn anyone that asks me off the Ai version as Skylum has had months to address this and . . . . nothing.

Piotr M

This thread is 8 months old, but stay tuned, they 'constantly working' on improvement, lol :D

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4404826159122-This-is-a-scam

Preston White

oh my goodness, luminar ai and luminar 4 is the worlds slowest software on the market. Darktable is speedy compared to luminar (but very slow compare to lightroom), yet darktable is free. You should at least make this free because speed is is far better then what luminar feature. its not my computer, because I have a dell xps 17, i had to restart my computer just so this software would close, cause it couldn't open. I'm sorry, but I feel like I just bought a virus. 

Helena Carter

Hi Preston,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Luminar 4 and LuminarAI.

I'd recommend you to check out my last messages in this thread where I listed some of the factors that might influence Luminar performance: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010407500-How-to-get-LuminarAI-to-use-less-memory-?page=1#community_comment_4404979154322

Sam Walker

I'm going to be upgrading to a 5900X with an NVMe drive as the system drive, and 32Gb DDR4 3200 RAM in about a month. Will be interesting, as I'm going to benchmark the differences between the 2 builds, see how much the performance changes, and post the results.

Hope I don't come back complaining about the slow speed again.

Lol, I'm on a 3900x, 32gb ram, Samsung pro nvme and it's bad. It's a total disgrace, lol

Capture one, dxo, lightroom all work faster with raw files than luminar works with JPEGs. You can't even compare it, luminar takes 10 seconds to apply adjustments to a JPEG whereas all the other major software works much faster with RAWs. And I don't have a bad computer.

Daniel Lauwers

Luminar AI is even slower than Luminar 4. When I look at the memory taken by the apps Luminar AI takes 2,72 GB of space, Luminar 4 takes 699,8 MB. Are there any methods/solutions to increase the performance speed of AI

Helga Rowles

Hi Daniel,

If your computer has two graphics cards (this usually concerns laptops), make sure to set your discrete graphics card to run Luminar by default.

If you store your images on an external drive, try working with images from your internal drive. Besides, the performance of Luminar depends on the number of images in your catalog. If you have a big catalog, try working in a smaller one (to create a catalog, choose File > Catalog > New).
    If it didn't help, please reach us at skylum.com/support and we will check whether there's something else that can make Luminar faster on your end.

Tony Eastmead

I think this is an automated reply to any question relating to the pathetic performance of Luminar 4 or AI. It is always a problem at the user's end, and never rubbish coding by Skylum. Everyone knows that you can have a super powerful PC, use an internal drive and have zero photos in the catalogue and nothing changes. It is a woeful piece of software unless you have lots of excess time on your hands. I have ditched it and returned to Lightroom. I don't have the time to wait 25 seconds with a frozen PC while Luminar works on exporting one photo. 

Daniel Lauwers

Hi Helga.
    I don't work with a laptop but with a iMac (3,6 GHz, 8 GB RAM). I use my interval drive. The number of photos in my catalog is only 400.

Igor Mijić

Oh, Im not the only one who thinks that the answers are generic? Shocked….
    400 ????? Are you crazy??? Hahah that’s what the answer will be. Your library is to big….
    Use Luminar as plug in on any software that supports it. For now that’s the only way to make it work properly.

John Layne

This software promised a lot, however, it's unusable due to its slowness and after waiting for a fix for 8 months I've given up. I was hoping to transition from Lightroom to Luminar but this just isn't possible due to Luminars ridiculously slow Catalogue speed. 

My solution has been to switch to Darktable, I'll keep Luminar running but delete the catalogue, reinstall it and just use it for single photos when needed.

I have had several colleagues and friends ask about Luminar, I've told them "Don't! Just don't go there".

Skylum just doesn't care about this issue.

Mike Winning

So, can't fix speed issues with Luminar AI, but think it's a good idea to release Luminar NEO????? Really??? Might be an idea to focus on what needs doing with the current version instead of releasing yet another one.  

Please sign in to leave a comment.