Luminar AI slow and laggy

Answered

Comments

114 comments

Haven't seen such a bad app in a long time. I run a Ryzen 3900X paired with 32GB ram, GTX1660Ti, a Samsung 970 Evo plus NVME SSD and IT'S FREAKING SLOW. Everything takes forever to do in this software. I'm used to working with Lightroom and there is no comparison between the two. Sure, the few gimmicks are cool, but who cares if you can hardly switch between photos.

By the way, I'm a new user. Just installed it today and I'm currently thinking of uninstalling and asking for a refund. Seriously, Skylum, do something about it.

EDIT: Have a look at the CPU usage. See these spikes? All I did was open an image from library in both instances. It's ridiculous as I've found threads on this forum where they promised to optimize this software over a year ago. LMAO

Comment actions Permalink
    Felix Schuchmann

EXACTLY the same. I did a YouTube Video switching photos and mailed them. The answer was I should "clear my memory" or "optimize my PC". My favorite is here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010149839-Luminar-standalone-opens-photo-and-then-as-curtain-comes-over-the-photo

The CPU spike because is because of COLOR PROFILES. LMAOROFLMAO!

It's a super common problem, and there seem to be a support team trying the best to tell users it's THEIR fault and the systems are to slow or whatever.

Either Skylums support is really that bad, that right after a release they think their buggy slow software works perfectly well.

Or Skylum knows what they've sold and try to buy time.

But after 5 mails, the last one with "REFUND ME!" they finally refunded me. I'll keep watching, still hoping that it's just a bad support team and devs already work on fixing those broken cache files. But the more I follow those threads and find videos where those slow CPU spikes are just edited out, the more I think nothing will change and it's just like it is.

Helena Carter

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered issues with Luminar AI performance. We will make sure to forward this to our developers in order to speed up the improvements.

Regarding the refunds and response time, please, note that usually, we reply within 24 hours, however, due to Luminar AI release, we receive a great number of emails, thus, it might take us a bit longer to get back to you. however, we want to assure you that we reply to each and every request we receive. Our Team works 24/7 in order to deal with thousands of emails we receive after the release - the incredible response to our new software has been indeed overwhelming. We hope for your patience and understanding.

Mike Forsman

Helena,

Just to be clear, you don't mean to imply that "the incredible response to [your] new software" is a good thing, do you? What a fiasco!

Had the same thing on my mind. If you're getting so many support requests than something must not be right.

Helena Carter

Mike Forsman, Member

When the new software is released, it's a normal situation that most of the customers have some questions or issues to be solved. These days most of the requests are about the activation since we changed the activation system. We also receive lots of positive feedback and general questions. For sure, there are some customers who have encountered some issues, but we're doing our best to help resolve them and report to our technical department the ones that require further fixes.

Still, if any of you considers that Luminar AI is not something that will work for you personally, we will surely issue you a refund.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Forsman

Like many here, I've been purchasing and installing software on many systems for a long time -- in my case, for over 25 years. If you consider what is happening here to be "a normal situation" (your words) then you must be listening to someone who won't let you out of your little Skylum bubble. For almost all of the software out there, new releases included, it's a simple matter of load, install and use. There might be occasional hiccups but nothing of this magnitude. Skylum has done some innovative stuff, but will never last if they keep releasing junkware like this when it's simply not tested and not ready. Your "support team" (what, 3 or 4 guys in a rented apartment?) routinely tells people that they must have problems with their hardware, when most have perfectly capable equipment that will run competently designed and tested software without a hitch - especially without digging into the innards of file systems where they've never been before. You said "some customers have encountered some issues" (emphasis mine) when you are clearly overwhelmed by problems with authentication, activation, installation, operation, communication and maybe the most damaging, your reputation. You  guys must spend at least a little time browsing around a few quality photo websites to see what people are saying about Skylum products. I'm not talking about video schill 'influencers' but well-established websites with unbiased , knowledgeable experts who've made real careers out of evaluating stuff like this, and forums frequented by serious, often professional photographers who wouldn't think of using a program that they had to fiddle with or call on support for - they don't have the time, just need something that works first time every time. You must know by now that among true users your reputation is a joke, except it's not funny and it could be your ruin. When you start minimizing major issues like these and calling them "normal" you lose customers. I for one feel foolish for biting on a "pre-order" deal from a company with such a shaky history even before all this mess. You're certainly overwhelmed and frustrated listening to fools like me who think we're smarter than you are, but maybe a few of us actually ARE smart. Try not to let the frustration get to you too much - while I admire your fortitude, you and your colleagues are sounding closer all the time to yelling "if you don't like it just take your money back and leave!" Problem is, if many people do that, you'll never get a chance to fix what might be a really good thing. (My suggestion - spend some money on a couple of "pro" consultants to go through your code and find obvious errors - would be so easy). For me, I'll take your advice about a refund before my 30 days are up, but I really do like your vision and wish you the best, so I'll be around waiting for the first true re-release of Luminar AI... so hang in there, fight the good fight, but face the fact that right now the whole system seriously BLOWS! Fix it, dern it, from top to bottom - we're waiting :-)

Best wishes Helena, stay safe and Merry Christmas (or..)

Eric LAMBERT

I have been a happy user of Luminar 3 then 4. It worked perfectly (i7 8700, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 8 GB, 2 x SSD... Etc) 

Upgraded to AI. It's not usable... You have to wait for ever for every edit. 20' for a simple spot removal... Etc. 

I may ask my money back unless you guys find a solution. 

Imraan Ashraf

I am using Luminar AI on a 2017 iMac with 24Gb RAM.  I find that it simply swallows all of my RAM until a point it slows down.  For example painting masks becomes unresponsive after you apply several of them.  It doesn't seem to use my CPU at all?  It definitely has some sort of RAM issue on a Apple device.

Tony Eastmead

I have Luminar 4 and the woeful export times have been like that for the last 12 months, with no sign of an update to improve it no matter what Skylum says. 25 seconds to export one photo and the whole program freezes, preventing you to move to edit the next photo, until the export is complete. Do not expect AI to be improved anytime soon. If you are unhappy with how it is now, do not wait for a refund in the expectation the problem will be quickly fixed. 

Devon Fernandez

The UI responsiveness is not great but the most critical usability issue I'm finding is that switching between images is very slow, 5 or 10 seconds. Working with 207 image CR2 album, i7-9750, GTX 1660Ti, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe w/800G free.

Stephan

Tony is right.
    Luminar 4 didn't have much of a performance boost. Luminar AI won't change much either. If you're not satisfied here, you'd better ask for your money back.

Abraham Gómez Gutiérrez

Problems so far...

• It is annoyingly slow, really.
    • Just one mask per tool (this is SO bad)
    • It doesn't save the changes when you use luminar ai as a plugin with lightroom. For example, you replace the sky and other stuff after some basic adjustments in lightroom, then you go back to lightroom and realise that the sky replacement doesn't look so good. You can't go back to luminar and make the sky replacement look better, you have to start from zero because luminar doesn't save the changes you made. Amazing.
    Patrick Nguyen

I think I made a major mistake buying this without trying the trial.  I just saw some YouTube videos and it looked like it could be a good tool I could use alongside Lightroom and Topaz Denoise AI.  But this software is so frigging slow.  I've never experienced such slow software.  I have a Windows 10 20H2 system with AMD Ryzen 3900X with 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB drive, 28 TB of HDD space, and Nvidia GTX 1080.  This setup burns through everything except Luminar AI.

Everything is slow.  Just loading a single image takes awhile.  You click on a template and it takes time.  You click on another template, more time.  You go to edit and everything takes time.  There is no point to moving a slider if it takes 2 seconds to see the effect.  I don't know if all the YouTubers got bribed or what.  Because none of them complained if at all.

I don't know what to do.  Should I wait for improvements?  Ask for a refund?  There are no settings to adjust in the program.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this software to work better?  I'm looking at a single image and then the task manager says Luminar is consuming 11GB of RAM even though I'm not doing anything.  I have RAM aplenty so I don't worry but I don't see why the performance is so bad.

David HAN-SZE-CHUEN

I had the same problems since its initial release in December. I'm not really surprised it hasn't improved since then.
    Just get a refund while you can.

Douglas Ritchie

I have stuck with the various versions since the beginning and truly hoped that with Luminar Ai they would have sorted the sluggish speed on Windows but it is still painfully slow and very frustrating.

I really think they need to do what it takes and really once and for all speed up the response on Windows,

compared to any other software Adobe, DxO and OnOne it can take four times the time to open an image!

Vincent MERIAU

Yesterday, new update arrived !
    The new Sky replacement engine is really better.
    But What about speed ?
    Scrolling pictures is worth than before.
    We could understand that edited images are recalculated on first appear. Nope !
    Scroll up and down and you'll see wonderfull empty squares...

Vincent MERIAU

For those Windows users, think to activate hyperthreading on bios.
    Also, check Windows graphic options parameters to force use your graphic card for luminar and sub batch exe.

Just adding my own name to the list really. I bought Luminar AI first on my Macbook Pro where I'd used older Skylum apps, thought it was "fine but a bit slow". But, modern MPBs aren't the fastest, OK.

So I thought "OK I'll get the Windows version", to run on my 16 core/48GB desktop... Only to find it's not only exactly as slow as before, but now also crashes often / blanks out the gallery randomly / zoom fails randomly, etc, etc.

I don't even mind that it's slow, but I do mind that all the responses from the company in these forums are trying to blame the users and/or their setups.

Glad to see all this backlash against Skylum. I also hate how they seem to blame it on the user and their setup. How come we don't get these issues with the Adobe software... I also run a pretty powerful setup, yet out of all the software that I use, only luminar works like crap.

Andrew Moore

Purchased Luminar AI for Windows 10 yesterday. Already pretty fed up of the constant crashing and the slow performance.

I've just bought AI for Mac - I have an 2014 MacMini w 8gb RAM - Impossible speeds (ie so slow) - but I turned off 'Use Graphics Processor' in Preferences - I now have reasonable performance.

Watch this space - Graphics Processor issue?

Albert Reising

I'm having this same issue on a Windows 10 PC. After a few tests (only 3 images in my catalog) I haven't been able to get anywhere. The software either freezes or crashes after a handful of edits on a photo.

andrea caniato

i have the same problem too. With the new release it does not save any files and closes every 2 minutes of work. reinstalled several times as recommended but with no improvements. The only program that doesn't work for me. But when do you fix it?

Katherine Nelson

Hi guys! If Luminar AI has started crashing after the new update, please reach out to our support team and we will do our best to help you: https://skylum.com/support 

Mihai Iacob

I just purchased Luminar AI today, and it’s unsustainable due to how badly it lags!! I have a windows 10 with an 11gen i7 16GB and 512 SSD. I have 345GB of free space, and it took over 3 min to apply a slight change in exposure! I purchased this because I saw the features, and I figure it was something that will complement and work along with Lightroom and Photoshop, but it was a mistake, and I can figure out how to get my money back

Elena O'Brien

Hi Mihai Iacob,

I am truly sorry to hear that you are facing issues with Luminar!

Performance might depend on several reasons. Please reach out to our support team at https://skylum.com/support and we will do out best to help you improve the performance.

Simone Vaccai

I just wanted to give everyone a little update on my old post.

Since the beginning (December 2020) I had several problems with luminar products (Luminar AI + Luminar 4 Trial - same results, identical issues). I've purchased Luminar AI for the same reasons of everyone and since the beginning the issues was:

- Black previews that updates after ages (for RAWs and JPGs)

- Laggy and unresponsive edits

- Performance issues

After all of my tests and many researches I found out that these kind of problems appears expecially on notebooks (also gaming notebooks >1000$ with dedicated nvidia graphic cards). Many Desktop PCs has no issue so I THINK that the problem is something related the integrated GPU that in some manner take control of the Application also if You specify the running processor on the nvidia control panel.

These problems was on luminar v1 and v1.0.1, I've not tried v1.2 on Windows because I solved my problem this way: I've bought a new Macbook M1 and here runs smoothly without any kind of issue (maybe because there is no dedicated graphic cards in fact it is integrated in the M1 processor).

Trust me guys, customer side there is almost nothing You can do to fix these kind of issue and i Know it for sure because I've tried everything for weeks (registry edit, config file customization, OS optimizing for the graphic card...). The application needs to be fixed!

I think that the Windows version has many problems that needs to be fixed (ASAP).

Maybe You can fix something by disabling the integrated intel GPU (BIOS SIDE!) but it is not possible for EVERY notebook and it is also unproductive because this GPU is useful to preserve battery power when the PC doesn't need graphics computing. BUT if You are not interested in battery consumption, fan always on and high temperatures all the time and Your PC has the capability to disable integrated graphic card You can try this:

Uninstall Intel Graphic card by Device Manager on Windows, (if installed) uninstall utility for intel graphic card (can't remember the name), restart pc, enter BIOS, disable integrated graphic card (GPU), connect the notebook to an external display and use it as your main monitor by disabling the default display through the combination Fn+F1/F2/F3... it depends on your notebook model. Notice that many notebook has their display directly connected only to the intel video card so it probably won't work after disabling internal GPU through the display but only through the external monitor. Anyway to exclude intel graphic card totally i suggest to disable itegrated monitor but you can try.

Else, the only thing You can do if You want to use this application is to try it on another PC, better if Desktop PC or a MAC imho... For everyone else try the trial before purchase, try also luminar 4 trial to give a feedback here or on their mail and for who doesn't want to spend time on these kind of problems ask for a refund!

I want to tell everyone that the best feedback is by sending an email to their support. If there are enough feedbacks it is sure they will try to fix these win10 problems asap.

Right now I am happy with Luminar AI but I had to change my PC and I understand that this is not possible for everyone, i wish best luck to everyone and I hope for everyone you will fix your problems! C Ya!

Douglas Ritchie

There are no excuses left, the very slow laggy performance of Luminar Ai has been a problem from the very beginning. This same slow laggy performance has dogged all the various Windows versions of Luminar right from the start, as I have mentioned in the past I have stuck with Luminar hoping and believing that the problems would be sorted, but they never have.

It is also very annoying that everyone seems to get the same message, it will probably be your equipment or you haven't got your PC set up properly, please send us your PC specification.

It has nothing to do with specs, everyone complaining has a perfectly well-speced machine and in some cases a very powerful latest high-end machine. All other software is running fast and well, Skylum please once and for all sort out the Windows problem and stop fobbing everyone off with waffle.

Elena O'Brien

Hi guys,

If you are still facing issues with Luminar, please reach out to our support team at http://skylum.com/support and we'll make sure to help you the best we can!

Also, just to clarify, we do not always ask for your specs to check if your hardware meets our requirements, there's a lot more that goes into that, as your OS may not be up to date or there are known issues with your drivers, etc, and sometimes, the hardware truly does not meet our minimum requirements. We need to eliminate all the possibilities, I hope you understand!

Please sign in to leave a comment.