Luminar AI slow and laggy

Answered

Comments

114 comments

Stephan

There is no problem with your pc. Welcome in the (slow) world of Skylum.

I don't know what kind of computers they test their own software on. At that time, Luminar 4 was already very slow for me. Unfortunately, Luminar AI makes no difference here.

I myself will demand my money back because I can not and will not work with the software. To wait more than 30 seconds for the export of an image is simply not comprehensible.

Who now and then works on a single image or has a super computer can use the software.

Comment actions Permalink
    Simone Vaccai

I thought that this software would have been useful for working with many files but it seems to me that it is more useful to work only with few images. It also seems to me that it doesn't work using the GPU but the CPU instead... Am I wrong? If so how could skylum only imagine that this software could be competitive on the market... If I don't see updates that solve my problems i will ask for a refund too (sadly, i had many hopes on this software, i've waited for almost an year for its development)... 

Agatha Winter

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that Luminar AI doesn't work properly for you. 

We're improving Luminar's performance with each release. In fact, it's one of our key priorities right now. 

Nevertheless, it might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size, and image format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews).

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?
    • How much free space on your drive?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sergio Lerchundi

hello  Agatha

I encounter a similar fault on luminar ai. slowness and blockage currently

my library is 2500 photos,

stored on synology server.

on my hard disk I have more than 75GB left for your info

I do not encounter this using Luminar 4 or lightroom

Thanks for your help

Serge

Stephan

Hi Agatha,

I have a Macbook Pro 2017 3,2 GHz with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD (read and write speed more then 1000 MB/s)

• How many images are there in your Library? I have the problem also with only 1 picture (Fuji RAW 24 MP, 24 MB APS-C) in the library.
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive? local SSD. see above.
    • How much free space on your drive? more then 100GB

I already have answered these questions 1 year ago with Luminar 4. I had also created a video one year ago where you can see how slow everything works.But your only solution was to give me a refund. 

Simone Vaccai

Hi Agatha here are the answers:

• How many images are there in your Library? Only 100-200 (new user)
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive? Internal SSD m.2 Samsung EVO
    • How much free space on your drive? 512/1024

One other problem is the really slow loading of the preview in my catalogue... It starts with all black images then sequentially every photo loads... if i scroll down the previous return black ^^"" and it take ages to show the actual preview again... I'm sure it is not a reading problem on the ssd cause only luminar has this problem

Hope in good news

Marina Moncho

I have the same issue here. It takes FOREVER to load a preview for one single image (RAW 24 mpx), the edits take a lot of time too and i'm not going to talk about exporting, it's nuts !!

I have a MacBook Pro late 2011 - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 gig of RAM - more than 500 gig space available and I only have 50 pictures or so in the luminar library.

** I have no problem using photoshop, lightroom, illustrator, etc.

Please tell me you are going to fix this, if not it's not worth it :( 

Sacha Fournier

It really fast to load preview at first but when I scroll down, every new image appear black and take for ever to show a preview. Then if I scroll up, previous previews that loaded fast at first now appear black and take for ever to show preview. Not very usable in my case :(

- My library have about 34000 photos but all in seperated directories (less then 1000 photos in each directory) 

- Photos are stored on SAN but catalogue is on a local SSD.

I should also say that I have exactly the same problem with Limunar 4. Probably the way the catalogue is managed in Luminar AI did not changed from Luminar 4. Oh well...

UPDATE:

I've re created my catalogue with only one directory (on local SSD) this time. It contains 409 photos. I barely see a performance difference. Loading preview is soooo slow. And if I scroll through my photos it does not keep already loaded preview. Unusable :(   

UPDATE 2:

I really do not understand this one. I was playing to move my 409 photos directory AND catalogue from my SSD to my other HD and suddently the thumbnail preview loading was blazing fast !!! Even when scrolling down and up. Then I moved back my  409 photos directory and catalogue to my SSD and it's still fast. Just by moving my photos directory and/or catalogue fixed my problem. I'm confused but it's working fast as expected now. 

UPDATE 3 (Last?):

Now that I'm able to browse my 409 photos directory I've done a last test with my 34000 photos directory on a SAN. Well, after a few minutes to first import, navigating through my whole library still fast.

pieter De Rijcke

slow to load, slow to edit and after exporting (again slow) back to Lightroom the edit was gone .very disappointed. I really hope there wil be a solution.

Burton Nuse

I'm having slow and sluggish issues here as well. When making edits, it's very slow to apply and update the change. The before and after comparison slider is extremely slow to respond when moving it. I also noticed that when you hover the mouse pointer over the + catalog, template, edit or export buttons they'll disappear and will only reappear if you hover the mouse pointer back over that area. The Luminar Ai drop down menu is buggy too. I'm running the latest release of Windows 10 on a Ryzen 3900x, with a RTX 2060 Super and 64GB of RAM So, I'm pretty confident that the slow and sluggish response is not hardware related. I can crunch through a 30 second 4K video clip with a few layers of VFX and grading in After Affects and Premiere faster that doing a simple color grade and a couple Ai enhancements on a photo in Luminar Ai. I understand its the initial release of the software, but so far I am not very impressed with the quality of testing that was done prior to its release. Hopefully there will be a update soon to address these issues.

David Gibbs

My initial problem is the install taking forever. It's been creeping along for over 30 minutes now and still hasn't made it to 70% yet. 

Is this normal?

Stephan

Hello Agatha,

the same problems exist and existed in Luminar 4.
    Therefore, I had already written to you when ordering Luminuar AI and pointed it out.
    I have also made myself available as a beta tester because, as I said, I already have the problems with Luminar 4 on a not yet too old Macbook Pro. But unfortunately there was no feedback from Skylum support. And here we are again.
    Again we are asked about computer equipment, free memory, catalog. This is already the case with a new catalog with few images. Most here also have a fairly recent computer with fast SSD, enough memory. But somehow you don't want to understand that it's because of your software...

With what kind of equipment do you test your own software? How long does an export take here? How long does it take until an image is loaded sharp on your monitor? How long do all the criticized points take?

Please publish a benchmark with your values for a catalog with 50 images.

Simone Vaccai

It really fast to load preview at first but when I scroll down, every new image appear black and take for ever to show a preview. Then if I scroll up, previous previews that loaded fast at first now appear black and take for ever to show preview. Not very usable in my case :(

Right! I solved a bit my problem assigning the software to the Nvidia GPU using the Nvidia control panel, now it is a little bit less laggy and slow but my main problem was exactly the one you described. I don't think that the problem was that but it helped a BIT. The fun fact is that this problem to me appear in my catalague that counts less than 300 photos! Also previewing the image is really slow and take few seconds to show a rendered image (i think because it is a CPU rendering) making "impossible" to select the photos i want to keep... What i found really bad from skylum are the really slow answers... I wrote an email to the support yesterday few minutes before this post and i have not recieved a single mail. In an era where we are used to chat with operators and to receive goods ordered a few hours before it is absurd that we have to wait so long to receive an answer on your main product and the answers we receive are the classic preset questions where they are required the technical specifications of your pc. I mean: did I buy the program? Yes! I tell you that my pc holds it up because it meets not only the minimum requirements but also the recommended ones? Yes! You should at least admit there is a problem with the software and reassure me that it will be fixed quickly. This does nothing but collapse my trust as a customer and certainly doesn't make me want to recommend the product to friends and colleagues.

I hope for a quick response from Skylum and a resolution of the problem that does not take weeks.

Stephan

Hi, 

to all new Luminar users.

Please download the Luminar 4 trial version. Luminar 4 is already one year old and Skylum had enough time to optimize the speed. Is the speed satisfying for you here or about the same as with Luminar AI?
    If you also find Luminar 4 extremely slow, you know approximately what you can expect from Luminar AI in terms of speed improvement within the next year.

https://skylum.com/download-trial/luminar-4

Simone Vaccai

Hi Stephan,

Little feedback: Just installed luminar 4 and it works perfectly.I have no lags (not so strong as Luminar AI) so i think it is this version of Luminar AI that have some kind of bug...

IDK, i will wait few days to see if they will update and fix...

Edit: Oh, NVM it worked only on the folder with few images... When i have more than 50+/- images in a single folder also luminar 4 has the same problem of luminar AI

Edit2: It seems a Cache problem (the problem in the catalogue)... The problem is that Windows version cannot edit the cache size...

Edit3: I tried many things untill now. I tried to run the program using the integrated graphic card (intel), i tried to run the program using the nvidia graphic card, i tried to play with the configuration file (inside there are some values i tried to modify like the number of thread used or the quantity of ramchache that by default is 512MB). Unluckly nothing has changed... The program works bad... The catalogue showed the bug of the black images said before... I've tried to read some debug files and it shows the text "GPU: Off" but few lines above it recognize nvidia driver... 

Same for me iMac with external ssd lightroom photoshop run ok no problem. When I use the brush tool masking of making edits it so slow and lags all the time. Not great we need a update and fast

Felix Schuchmann

Hi, same here. Powerful gaming PC and everything is super slow. Scrolling the lib reloads every time. Opening an already edited photo takes 8s to load, 3s to zoom in (every time). Viewing the next image and going back to the edited one: Again 8s wait. And I'm not even talking about the edit options, I'm fine to wait some seconds for a heavy edit operation. But just navigating images is already such a pain that I will request a refund without trying the program any more.

Simone Vaccai

The news are not good, it seems a bug that is present from luminar 3.0.2 until now... I googled a lot... I'm trying to figure out where the problem is but without any help is not simple... 

Stephan

I will test it again on another laptop in the next days. If I have the same problems here I will ask for a refund too. 

Simone Vaccai

So you have the same problems with Luminar 4? One year ago Skylum promised us better performance with every update. And this is the result. You can use it for a few pictures but not to edit a lot of pictures.

Funny, your post is marked as answered by Skylum. They know how to answer questions to your complete satisfaction.

Simone Vaccai

Hi Stephan, You can skip your test, I already did it and the results are the same. I can unluckly test it only with notebook right now, i dismissed my Desktop PC but the real test could be with a desktop PC with single GPU. 

I have some thoughts:

1) The double GPU could create some sort of bug, in desktop pcs you can disable the integrated one, in notebook you can't because images actually pass through the intel video card. I will try to unistall intel video driver connecting an external monitor to try to avoid intel usage but i have no hopes. I think this because everyone that has that kind of problems are usually notebook users as i read in google. I will investigate a little more...

2) There is a limitation in the windows version: reading some configuration file you can find in AppData/Roaming/Luminar AI/ i've found a config file that shows some fields, one is RAM CACHE that is set up at 512MB (strunge uh?!) and another is Core Threads set up at 6 (i tried to put this to 1 to 12 and actually images load faster/slower). Maybe somewhere there is a field that generate 1:1 previews always or something like that. I will search better in the night...

3) Notebook use to go in throttling with high load on CPU to not overheat the processor. I need to look better but maybe this could be the cause...

4) They took Luminar 4, they changed the UI and kept everything the same in AI with some more features without solving previous bugs and all of this "AI" has been only a marketing strategy... 

Felix Schuchmann

I've tried local JPGs beside my RAW files on my NAS and they are a lot faster, though still load and "flickr" the change after 1s. There are cache folders, but the biggest file in there is 1350x900px and looks really hard compressed. The normal viewing size for me is ~1670x1110px. No wonder that it's slow to view when the cache files don't even fit my normal size. But even when I view the app in sth like 10% of the size all the images re-render EVERY TIME and they totally don't use the cache files.

Simone Vaccai

Yes, there is a cache access problem probably, it seems that we are able to write to cache and not to read XD This is funny... BTW i know that with JPG everything is a bit faster but this is not a solution and not a workaround... JPGs and RAWs are totally different files. If i need to use Luminar only with JPGs for me it is useless. I need a program to use RAW not JPGs!

Felix Schuchmann

I made a video, demonstrating my simple NAVIGATING IMAGES issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmiKr19aXCE

Stephan

Hi Felix,

bei mir ist es genau das Gleiche. Jedes Mal wenn man zwischen den Bildern hin und her scrollt dauert es bis das Bild vollständig geladen wird. Auch wenn man die Bilder noch gar nicht bearbeitet hat. Es dauert im Schnitt 10 Sekunden bis das Bild scharf geladen ist. Sobald man reinzoomt oder den Bildausschnitt ändert dauert es wieder mehrere Sekunden...

Würde mich echt interessieren auf was für Maschinen die ihre eigene Software testen. 

Jose F.G.

Yo tengo el mismo problema con las carpetas, tardan en cargar y cuando lo hacen me aparecen imagenes en negro de forma alatoria, siendo a veces mas de la mitad de las imagenes por lo que me resulta imposible trabajar cuando la carpeta supera las 50 imágenes. Esto tambien me pasa en luminar 4.3, por lo que si no son capaces de corregirlo pediré la devolución del dinero, pues trabajar con imágenes en negro resulta algo complicado o no?. Lightroom funciona de maravilla,con ficheros de mas de 500 imagenes, por lo que creo no es un problema de mi PC

Felix Schuchmann

I got feedback from the support by mail and they really told me it's my system and I should "optimize" it. That's hilarious.

Lloyd O'Daniel

Let me define "optimize" for you. It means to immediately uninstall all Skylum software and never again buy any. Then your computer will be "optimized".

Fildy Iswara

I also have same issue, slow performance, crashed several time.

all photos are nikon raw files, connected to synology NAS.

should I ask for a refund or wait? hoping that skylum will fix it in the coming months (I'm not sure they will fix it during 30days refund window)

Florian Mair

I installed luminar ai a few days ago. It is a frustration to work with it, very slow although the library acutally is only about 100 pictures, While scrolling from one picture to another it sometimes lasts more than half a minute. I will ask for a refund if skylum doesn't fix the problem within the next 2-3 weeks. I already had the same problem with luminar 4, but skylum doesn't react :( 

Stephan

I have asked for a refund. Maybe I try it again in a few months.

Please sign in to leave a comment.