Luminar AI crashes on start-up every time

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Chris, 

Our support team has been very busy answering questions since the release of Luminar AI so response times are indeed taking longer than usual. Please know that someone from our team will be in touch with you via email as quickly as possible

Meanwhile, please try the following steps:
    1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

If the issue persists: 

1. Make sure Luminarᴬᴵ is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminarai file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarai
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminarᴬᴵ. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder). 

Hope this helps. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Phelony Jones

Every photo I load now is blurry as if it was shot out of focus. Will the above rigamarole help that as well?

Kate Williams

Hi Phelony,

Do your photos have exclamation marks in the top right corner?

If so, please follow the steps below in order to reconnect LuminarAI catalog with the missing folder:

1. Go to the Catalog tab (in the top-bar menu)

2. Right-click the missing folder;

3. Choose Locate Folder from the drop-down menu: http://prntscr.com/w7a408 

4. Find and point to the missing folder.

If you see the Lost Edits shortcut, this article will be helpful: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/reconnecting-lost-edits 

Albert Nazareth

I have the same problem as Chris Fletcher. I have tried a couple of suggested solutions without success. Hopefully, someone will get back to me with a solution.

Adrian Fretwell

Hi, I have also had the same problem and found the renaming and terminal solution did not work. But found that on the Mac, close Luminar, then in Desktop Finder menu go to the 'Go' menu and then hold down the alt key to see the hidden library folder, click on the library folder and then go to Preferences folder, inside that there will be a 'com.skylum.luminarAI.plist' file, delete this. Then you should be all good when you open up Luminar, this worked for me.

Sofoklis Kesinis

I had the same issue with Luminar AI on MacOS Big Sur.

I have a symbolic link of $HOME/Pictures pointing to an external SSD that wasn't attached and Luminar after the installation kept crashing on startup without handling the exception. It wasn't prompting at least that the catalog wasn't accessible. That way I wouldn't have to start guessing what the issue could possibly be and waste me so much time until I figured it out. It's not like the catalog was already there and I removed it. It was trying to create it on a path that wasn't available and it wasn't handling the exception. That's very poor error handling.

The Thin

I had the same issue as the OP.

Kates solution fixed my issue:

Meanwhile, please try the following steps:
    1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

Cheers

Please sign in to leave a comment.