Why no support for HEIC files in Luminar AI for Windows

Completed

Comments

21 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi @RafalCov RC,

Luminar AI currently supports HEIC files (starting from Update 3).

Comment actions Permalink
    David Swinney

Sorry, Agatha.

I consider that to be excuse-making and a totally unsatisfactory response from Skylum.

Here's a list of just a few popular photo editing tools that all support HEIC files on Windows, having somehow solved the "technical difficulties" that Skylum is using as a justification for failing to provide support for this widespread and popular photo format:

• Adobe Lightroom Classic
    • Adobe Lightroom
    • Adobe Photoshop 
    • ON1 Photo RAW
    • Capture One 

Funny how they all seem to think it's important to support that format.

I'm so glad that Skylum is "considering" adding that support.

What a disappointment your company continues to be.

Douglas Krohn

I agree, it is BS that we cannot work with HEIC on non-mac Luminar AI. Almost as bad as Lightroom CC not having red eye reduction! Lol

Daniel Jonsson

This was a huge surprise for me, that a newly released photoeditor doesn't support iPhone photos.

It kinda makes it useless for me as it is right now.

Sönke Freitag

This is very disapointing - HEIC not supported on a new released photo editing tool !

This opts out all iPhone Users. I did not expect that when i bought the new version
    - will tell my friends photographers to wait with the update until this BASIC FEATURE
    is implemented (Nevertheless we also work on traditional CR2 of course which is working with AI).

Ian Brown

The reason I bought Luminar AI today was because my old version of Lightroom did not support HEIC on Windows and when I researched Luminar 4 and AI I was sure it stated support for HEIC...very disappointing that Windows 10 is left out in the cold with no ETA.

René Staab

ACDSee works fine with HEIC on Windows, why not Luminar?

Winkler Benjamin

Wirklich maximal enttäuschend. Hatte ja noch Verständnis in Luminar 4, aber jetzt mit der neuen Version sollte es doch unterstützt werden. Gibt es schon einen Termin wann diese essentielle Funktion nachgerüstet wird?

Werner Fitzner

Yes, I have a brand new Galxy S21 Ultra and my pictures are also in HEIF format.

In Win10 I can view the pictures, why not in LuminarAI?

Is the support for HEIF already in the queue ?

Miguel Campos

Instead of spending so much time and money marketing the product, how about spending that money in providing support for HEIC, gosh, almost every piece of software out there support it. They must have smarter programmers or design engineers that get the fact that this format is quite popular. 

Georgios Kiriazis

Unfortunately Luminar 4 can still not open a HEIC file for editing (and I am supposed to have the latest update)

Kate Williams

Hi - As of now, I cannot provide an exact estimate for the HEIC / HEIF support on Windows. There are some tech limitations on our way, however, we're looking into the best ways to overcome them. 

@Werner, 

Could you please share a sample with us? It'd be useful for our development team. 

Here's how you can send the file at https://skylum.com/support: 

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Thanks! 

RafalCov RC

What do I do with HEIC? I have loads of HEIC files on my Windows PC. Microsoft store just installed support for new files and now it is working but your software is not recognising them.

RafalCov RC

I'm using Luminar 4 are you talking about a different product?

Ian Brown

This post is about HEIC support for users of Windows 10/11. At the top of this post Agatha Winter said it may be coming in the future but a year later it is not in the most recent update for WIndows 10 users. Again as every customer in this post has said having HEIC supported in Windows is important and certainly is why I still don't use it very much at all. This will only get worse as time goes on as HEIC isn't going away.

Roy Blackwell

Windows 10 (since 2019) and Windows 11 natively supports the HEIC file format. As stated by Helga, Luminar AI has supported HEIC files since Update 3. Do not expect support for HEIC in Luminar 4, it is most likely not coming. 

Ian Brown

Ok well I checked again and yes I now can see HEIC files in Luminar AI. This wasn't the case a year ago which is why I joined this post and Skylum's answer was that if was forthcoming but a mute point now as it can recognize HEIC in my folders. Thanks. 

RafalCov RC

Forget about this software the idea behind them giving out the luminar 4 promotions was so you will stumble upon not supporting HEIC which is superior and buy from them Luminar AI otherwise you wouldn't even consider buying this software. They used dodgy tactics so just uninstall and forget :)

Ivan Azure

Hi Georgios Kiriazis and RafalCov RC!
    Please note that there are no latent tactics. Currently, there is no information concerning the indicated aspect within Luminar 4. As far as the notifications appear, we will let our customers know. Please stay tuned. 

Dominic Wong

Our family member just got a brand new iPhone and output photos are in HEIC. I really need Luminar 4 to support HEIC else our family photos are stuck. I'm not the only one here - please hurry 😢 

Agatha Winter

Hi David!

Unfortunately, there's no information yet on the matter of HEIC support implementation on Windows. There are some technical difficulties with the implementation of HEIC files compatibility.

We'll definitely consider implementing it in the future, however, for now, there's no ETA for that. Please, stay tuned!

Please sign in to leave a comment.