Fix your problems and stop buying time with useless support steps like in Luminar 4.3

Answered

Comments

13 comments

Austin Miller

Hello Andreas. The issue with the Windows platform is that different computers have different components, not like Apple ones, for example. Therefore, we are asking to try different instructions in order to fix the particular issue because one instruction helps in one case and another in a different one. 

The issue with the OpenGL is also not so simple. Different users have different processors and graphics cards. Also, not everyone wants to update Windows 10 to the latest version because it might affect the stability of other applications (or simply the auto-update is turned off). Also, our users sometimes have a built-in graphics card that does not come with OpenGL 3.3 out of the box. Therefore, we are asking to update the drivers or reinstall them.

We advise disabling nahimic only in specific cases that are related to interface and rendering issues. What is really proven that these soft interferes with our UI. I will pass your concerns regarding the chromium framework as it might be useful for our developers to rectify the issue with nahimic and twitchy interface!

In regards to the font scaling, it depends on the monitor resolution. On some monitors, everything may be fine, on others it may not. But we have already detected an issue related to the scale and will fix it.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andre Moreau

If you think Luminar has problems, you should take a look at ON1 Photo RAW. Same problems there. Bugs don't get fixed but software development continues with an emphasis on those features that sells.

These are relatively small firms coming late to the show, trying to differentiate from Lightroom. Lightroom has been around for at least 13 years so has had plenty of time and resources to grow.

When a photo editing software doesn't have basic functions like quick undo, can't do full screen and is slow displaying an image but boast advanced features you have to wonder.

Andreas Epmeier

Hello Austin,

I see a major problem in a helpdesk is communication. I am an system engineer since 1992 and I have seen my share of problems, with hardware or software. The way you try to solve problems is ok and a very basic standard, but not more.
    If you said there are many possible configurations of hard- and software and this is a big problem. But you are giving the same answers or try the same solutions and you do not take it into account which hardware a customer really has. So this is no real solution it is only try and error.
    Or when some customer say that they have a Geforce GTX 1050 and new Nvidia drivers installed and Luminar AI shows the opengl-missing-bug, then there is something really wrong. Becausr every Nvidia driver installs opengl when it detects no opengl present or an older version. This could be checked with a simple tool lile gpu caps. But note, most machines with a dedicated GPU from AMD or NVIDIA support Open GL 3.3 and above as long as this GPU was released within the last 4-5 years. So if the drivers are updated and there is the opengl error, then I would try to figure out if the PC has a multi gpu configuration and which is set as the default device.

I have setup a vm with Win10- fresh install and only installing Windows 10 updates from MS without driver updates - only absolute basic drivers. And Luminar AI works without any issues. So there is opengl installed. Checked it with gpu caps. Next step I installed nahimic software - no problems, then I try different font scalings - no problems. And now my oculus vr software, java sdk, .Net 5.x, my gpu software from Asus(I need it to silence the fan) and the trouble starts. I think has something to do with the chromium engine and the gpu overlay or it could be software for organizing desktop icons called fences. When I start the PC with the built in admin account, Luminar AI functions without any problems. The difference is, that the admin account don't start fences, the oculus software and the gpu tool from Asus. I think I can test this but not tonight. Local time is 11pm.

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Very interesting - keep going with your investigations. I have fences installed too so will try disabling it and see what difference it makes. I have to say though that this seems to be a half baked release with all the problems people are having. I think this is a great shame as the software could be good if it worked as it should.

Andreas Epmeier

Hello Mark,

you can try to use another account under Win10 or the build in admin account. Then Win10 will not start programms like Fences, nahimic or the ASUS tool for the GPU. And with this "clean" settings Luminar AI works so far with no mouse problems and it feels a bit more faster and less laggy.

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Thanks Andreas - will give that a try - should haven thought of admin account or new one - bit rusty with the old IT now.

Mark

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Hi Andreas 

Tried another account, and you are dead right - the program works much faster, and loads previews of photos much quicker, also import is much quicker too. I think I need to delve deeper to find out exactly which program/service in windows is stopping Ai from working. My gut feeling is that it is not any windoew service's etc that cause the problem, but another app running in the background. Need to run a minimum windows load, and then load say two apps, and then test/repeat etc until I narrow it down to the culprit. Would it be useful if we compare what apps we have on our two machines, and collaborate on this? Let me know your thoughts. Do you think there may be a problem with .Net may be? or something else?

Mark

Andreas Epmeier

Hi Mark,

.Net should not be an issue. I have installed .Net 5.x and it worked.
    I will try some things with msconfig. There you can select different start options for Win10.

My guess is Fences and maybe the the overlay software for my ASUS gpu.

I must test some very special services on my pc:
    Virtual Desktop service, Oculus VR services and my OpenSSH Server service

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Hi Andreas,

Will do some testing via msconfig myself too - let us hope we nail it down eventually as it may help many people on here with problems.

Merry Xmas to you too.

Mark

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Hi Andreas

Have done some more testing, and interestingly enough have found that my photos stored on my Qnap nas are very slow to build the catalogue, and previews. I dont see why access over a Lan should be that slow i am using a gigabit lan router. Any ideas - thinking I may have to copy these files to a hard drive or ssd to get them to load in a reasonable time - thoughts? Although a hard drive probably wont be any faster than the Lan.

Mark

Andreas Epmeier

Hi Mark,

this problem exists since Luminar 3, but with every new version it's getting slower and slower to open files on a nas. I've tried different solutions, different setups, but nothing really works. A SSD directly attached to my router with USB3 on a gigabit network(cable and not wireless)is really slow in opening RAW files in Luminar. But when I copy files over the network to my pc it works fast an reliable, so this is also a problem with Luminar AI.
    I tried to deactivate every security, antivirus programs, firewalls, giving Luminar  AI and everything related to it. the highest priority on the network, but without any success.
    So this is a problem unfixed for Luminar AI and the only solution is to attach the SSD directly to the PC.

regards,

Andreas

Mark Haskell-Cooper

Hi Andreas

Sadly I have come to the same conclusion as yourself - until skylum re write the code to make it more efficient in this regard we are stuck with slow performance. Irritating and a shame really as it need not be like this. Your move Skylum.

Happy new year to you.

Mark

Chris Colon

I am not a tech person and i cant get luminar ai to work at all.  i click on tabs and edit and menu options but everything is greyed out... i uninstall and reinstall... turn off firewall and anti virus.. nothing... what is wrong.... this is a $100 dollar purchase.  This should not be happening.

Please sign in to leave a comment.