Deleted photos, GONE!

Answered

Comments

22 comments

Pete Roc

I was just about to post this myself -

This needs urgent attention -

No photo editing program should delete your original files

- Either the program should create a copy of the original file to work with and if deleted in the program, should not remove or touch the original.

-Should be able to remove or clear images from the program its self only.

-Options for deletion to be added to preferences.

I was not as unlucky as yourself, have you been able to restore them from your Bin.

I deleted a few images only, whilst playing around - and thought I better check because the warning message caused me some confusion / concern. Perhaps it should currently read "IF YOU DELETE FOREVER - YOU ARE DELETING YOUR ORIGINAL IMAGE ON YOUR PC PERMANENTLY"

The word "Library" alone is not clear enough - message needs to more informative - easy fix until a patch fixes this problem.

There are peeps out there, that have setup their system trash folder to delete instantly and not have the restore option. I know its crazy right - but happens. -

Hope you guys can fix this issue sooner than later....

Update - I would advise making a separate folder with the images you wish to edit - so if you do delete them via the program its self, you will still keep your originals in their original place on your storage. Temp Fix

Comment actions Permalink
    JB WILLIAMSON

No luck, no response except for yours.  I searched my hard drive for file folders that I was positive on the name, no results.

This needs to be fixed ASAP & tell us how to recover the files!

Roy Blackwell

Luminar AI works with the images in your own folders. Edits to these images are stored in the catalog but not the original images which remain on your storage device. When I see the words 'delete forever' and 'permanently remove' I would be extremely cautious. The 'agony of delete' can bite you. There are undelete apps that can attempt to bring them back, just be sure if you go this route you get a legit app and not some malware tool. Note, I agree the word 'library' should be reworded, perhaps 'storage device.'

JB WILLIAMSON

It shouldn't remove them from your harddrive, nor does it say that. They're not in the trash folder wither.

Roy Blackwell

I tested this on my Windows 10 machine and it does indeed delete and move files to the Windows Recycle Bin. Try an undelete utility to get your photos back (google it).

Anthony Barraclough

Although of no help to those who have already suffered, thanks for posting it - I was unaware of this so you have saved me the grief.

JB WILLIAMSON

Update, tried using a program to recover deleted files called Recuva. Great program, allows to search by folder, photos, video, etc.

Did not find what was deleted, found pages & pages, but not what I needed.

It's Monday so hoping support will reach out soon & fix this. FIX=find my files & change the program.

This is marked as answered, but not corrected.

Roy Blackwell

Sorry to say JB but I seriously doubt there is anything Skylum Support can do to help you recover 'permanently deleted' photo files.

JB WILLIAMSON

It didn't put them in the recycle bin!

Roy Blackwell

Any chance JB that your lost photos were backed up to one of the cloud services (Microsoft, Google or Amazon)? Still on an SD card? I would be heart sick to have lost that many photos.

JB WILLIAMSON

I wonder if there's confusion with Luminar 4 & L AI programs.  I found a folder on another drive labeled Luminar.  I opened it it was L 4, & it had photos from 2001-2018, that I never imported into L4.

Still waiting on support to contact me.

Kate Williams

Hi JB ,

Where were your image files located? Was it an external drive? 

Luminar works with the native OS file system. Thus, when you're deleting the files from your catalog, they normally should be placed in the system trash. However, if it was an external drive, the deleted files may not appear there. That's a limitation imposed by the Windows OS itself - Windows considers all external drives not as storage but as a removable device and thus doesn't send files to the system trash when you choose to delete them. 

If it was an external drive:

1. Open File Explorer.
    2. At the top menu, click View.
    3. On the right pane, click Options > Change folder and search options.
    4. In the Folder options window, click the View tab.
    5. Under the Advanced settings, tick or select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    6. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
    7. Click Apply, then OK.

Once saved, try to access your external hard drive. Its recycle bin should now be visible. You may then open the recycle bin folder and check whether the files are there.

Also, please note that Luminar 4 and Luminar AI are two independent programs. They don't interfere with each other. Besides, the image files are not directly imported into the software, Luminar simply creates a link to their original location on your drive. 

JB WILLIAMSON

The files were on my Desktop in Folders, not on external drives. They never showed in the recycle bin or anywhere on any drive. I tried control z to undo, I searched,by name for one of the file folders, zero. I tried Recuva to find deleted items, zero, although it did find tons & tons of files.

I do have external drives as storage for files/folders, no programs. What's peculiar is each has a recycle bin & contains the same files currently in the recycle bin

I tried your suggestion above, no success. Should I undo this?

When I told it to remove the files just imported, it said it would delete them forever, but not off the hard drive. My impression was out of the program. It doesn't make sense to delete them from my computer. My desktop was wiped clean.

Are you in a different time zone, your reply was like 3 hours earlier than CST. It will keep me from thinking the reply is not timely. Thx.

Alex Rodriguez

I experienced the exact same thing unfortunately and lost some very valuable files. I agree with JB Williamson on this. If I delete the files from the program* it should not be deleted from the hard drive*. At the very least it should be sent to the trash bin where I can retrieve it if I had to like many other programs do. Is there any update on this or a solution to retrieving the files? I now have to hire a 3rd party company to try and salvage the files from the hard drive. This should not be the case. I admit I should have backed up the files however the program should not be permanently deleting anything. Hoping for a positive solution to this avoidable problem.

JB WILLIAMSON

This is going on 3 weeks & nothing is done. I know Christmas & New Years delayed things but now it's time to fix this!!!

I don't consider this resolved.

Rafael Andersson Lipcsey

I can only echo those above! This happened to me today, my files were located on the desktop, and when I deleted them in Luminar AI they vanished forever, without ending up in the trash first. I definitely lost some very valuable files, and now matter how hard I tried with various recovery programs to get them back, I could not find them. 

Given how this issue was raised 4 months ago, I am quite disappointed that it has not been addressed! 

JB WILLIAMSON

Rafael, sorry this happened to you too. Skylum could care less about the problem, obvious by their lack of support, etc. I asked that the issue be resolved, software change, etc., I was ignored.

Makes no sense to delete the files from your computer & even less sense that they don't go to the recycle bin & not recoverable by usual software used to recover deleted files.

SERIOUS flaw!!!

We have your money so we no longer need you. That is until we come up with another program.

Anthony Barraclough

Whilst having every sympathy with your loss and annoyance at Skylum's lack of interest, I do find it strange in today's world with cheap storage, both external and in the cloud, all photographers do not back up their precious original photos immediately.

Over the last xx years of computing I have had one total failure of my hard drive, since when all my files are routinely backed up to both an external network drive and now cloud storage.

Like many, I can afford the inconvenience of losing AI's adjustments but not the originals.

OOI I have the £10 subscription to Adobe LR with 1TB as my cloud storage which is fine, but note if you ever leave it and mass retrieve your photos it doesn't retrieve the folders and albums.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Rafael Andersson Lipcsey,

Can I please kindly ask you to contact us via support form here: https://skylum.com/support? We will check all the steps before your photos were wiped and try to find the cause of issue.

JB WILLIAMSON,

I'm terribly sorry for caused inconvenience and photos you lost. Can you clarify if you've experienced this problem recently? If yes, can you also reach us via https://skylum.com/support and clarify where you store your catalog?

Dave Lightfritz

I am going to have to go with Anthony on this one.. I have a 500gb SSD where I save to desktop folders, while also keeping my External drive connected, where I will immediately copy all images when I upload from a shoot. It is routine for me to not only save to desktop, but also external drive and sometimes (more recently, also saving to a USB flash drive just in case). I was able to retrieve many old, thought to be lost forever files from an old hard drive which I haven't used in 15 years, old Sony memory sticks from 10 years ago using a program called Recuva. It is free and will allow you to recover up to so much data before charging you... Every part of technology is frustrating, which is why I have learned from my mistakes in not saving often and extra copies, of every file I have, to numerous places. Hope you are able to find them and fix the problem!

Rafael Andersson Lipcsey

Dave Lightfritz and JB WILLIAMSON you are both definitely right. 

I think I was taken off guard. I was a longtime Lightroom user and only recently made the switch to Luminar AI, and so I was completely used to the system where if you delete your files in the software, the originals will still be there. 

And thanks for the tip, I tried some of these data recovery programs yesterday, but the files were completely gone. That being said I was able to find them on the memory card I use in my camera. I could not yet recover them though because of the 1gb data limit for "free" recovery. I didn't try Recuva because I have a Mac, and there is no Mac OS version. But it seems like it is my only option without having to pay a bunch on money, so I'll dig up some old PC laptop from my basement and give it a go!

Dave Lightfritz

Good morning Rafael,

I downloaded probably 8 different recovery software apps to get what I needed without having to pay a dime. Maybe try to find some other apps that will allow you to recover 2gb here or another 1gb there... I pinch pennies everywhere I can and refuse to pay $100+ dollars for something if I can take a day and get it for free. Happy to hear you were able to find them and best of luck to you getting them back!

Please sign in to leave a comment.