Luminar AI - Crash. Anyone else experiencing this?

Answered

Comments

20 comments

JASON EBELING

Same here everytime i use it i'm about 6 min working on a photo and totally crashes and I lose everything.  it's very frustrating.  I also am using Big sur, but I'm using the 7 days free software, maybe that has something to do with it?  I don't know but day 3 into the 7 days and i havent been able to do much thats for sure.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ryn Ue

It was working just fine for me on Wednesday, and I got through dozens of photos testing out the features. Crashed every time non-stop on Thursday though. First it wasn't loading the album gallery at all (and then "unexpectedly quitting") - and after attempt to make a new album manually (via randomly renaming the photos library directory as suggested) the thumbnails loaded (with the previous edits intact) but no templates/edits/exports are possible.

Big Sur 11.1 on (intel) mac mini less than a month old.

Rod Fernandez

Crappy Luminar AI keeps crashing! I can’t do anything with it al all!! Using Macbook Pro 2019 with latest OS Big Sur.

Richard Cawthorne

Very frustrating. Had high expectations, but so far quite disappointed. Really not acceptable with the price tag 🏷

Really do expect more

Colin Grant

It seems to be as memory hog. I have a late 2017 iMac with 32 gig ram. Yesterday it was using near 50% of that ram and all I was doing was reducing highlights. Not long after the sliders became unresponsive and it crashed (just vanished). It is a very dumbed down Luminar 4 with Artificial Intelligence that is indeed very artificial - in that it does not do a lot more than recommend a pack of presets and/or overlay the image with a cropping grid in an attempt to make some sort of creative statement. I have now asked for a refund (twice) but no response so far.

Richard Cawthorne

I might do the same

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello everyone,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with Luminar AI.

Did you notice any specific pattern, which leads to crashing? Does the app crash when you edit specific images or use specific tools?
    We would appreciate if anyone could share the crash log, which can be collected here:

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar/x in their names and attach them to your email.
    Richard Cawthorne

I did look for this, but couldn’t see any readable file logs with luminar in the phrasing, nor could I find an email address to contact anyone with... this is why I posted here

Robert Lee

I have experienced multiple crashes associated with export if more than one single edit image is open. A few days into these crashes the program failed to start, crashing on the saved images from the edit session. I had to deinstall the software, which didn’t solve the problem, until I deleted the catalog files. Then I had to finagle the reinstall because I didn’t have a clean removal. Now if I only edit one photo at a time and close each one, the stability is present. But exports do not always complete without corrupting the export, in this case a PNG. I am invoking the plug-in for Photos.

Helga Rowles

Hi guys,

Just a heads-up that Luminar AI is not yet compatible with the M1 chip. 

If that's your case, please note that the native support on the M1 chips may take some time. However, using the software on new Macs will be possible much faster than the native support due to Rosetta 2 that aids the transition. This translation process will provide you with a fully operational software. Luminar AI is expected to launch in compatibility mode with the new Macs by the end of January.

If that's not the case, would you mind contacting us at skylum.com/support so we can gather more information about the issue you're facing, please?

Thank you in advance!

Please, attach system info to your request: click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens.

Richard Cawthorne

Not using m1 chip, and the diagnostic report process you suggest doesn’t provide any data on the luminar Ai crashes. I sent an email, but no one has replied

David Smith

Luminar AI working on my Mac, but... every time I closed the program I got a crash report. First few times, not an issue, but then it corrupted the catalog. So I couldn't edit any files.

Creating a new catalog seems to have solved that problem, though of course, I've lost my edits to previously worked on pictures. 

What I've found is that if I go back to the Library BEFORE exiting the program, it manages to close without crashing.

I edit pictures from within Lightroom calling on Luminar AI. When I export the file, it saves it to the last 'saved' folder. It doesn't put it back in the correct folder in Lightroom or update Lightroom. Other editing packages don't seem to have this problem.

David Silber

I'm using Luminar AI as a Photoshop Plugin on an iMac (Big Sur). The problems I'm seeing are:

1) When it starts, it ALWAYS picks a particular template and opacity (and a low opacity at that). I have to reset those settings every time. Annoying, but at least there's a work around.

2) I've seen several computer crashes caused by Luminar AI. The system gets quite slow, then reboots. I've only seen this when using Luminar AI (if I avoid using Luminar AI, I don't see it at all). Frankly, I'm a little scared of using Luminar right now.

David Smith

I have a workaround for my crashing problem. Once I’ve exported the picture, I return to Library before closing the program. It doesn’t then crash. Love to know how to a. Return the image to Lightroom rather than having to import a new file and b. How do I enable AI as a plug-in to Photoshop. Adobe help not very helpful.

Dirk Claussen

Same here!!! A fresh installation on my MacBook Pro (BigSur), i only have added a couple of pictures to the folder which is added to the catalog and have see the beachball of death when launch the programm. I have created new catalogs and try different ways off adding pictures, but a few quick edits later again beachball.

I unfortunately have to say that it is the same as in Luminar 4, i have give it a lot of tries on 2 different Mac books running Catalina or Big Sur. I have seen so many crashes and often the catalog was broken after that. It is a shame, i really like this software to work but at the moment it is no option for me unless use it as a plugin...  

Kate Williams

Hi Dirk,

Please get in touch with our team at skylum.com/support so we could take a closer look at the freezes you're experiencing. 

Tilo Wondollek

Using now Lunimar 4 on my MacBook Pro M1 (11.2) leads to app crash whenever I try to export. Searching for possibility to run it on Rosetta 2, but there is noch checkbox avaliable (only Intel, no Universal). Does anybody have an idea for a solution?

Elena Blum

Hi Tilo,

Please send us your system info at https://skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Daniel Appelgryn

I'm using Lunar Ai on my Huawei Mate book pro 13 but the program crashes a lot, I cant edit photos in qty only one at a time otherwise it's a mission impossible. Lunar Ai definitely needs fixes 

Helena Carter

Hi Daniel,

Please, reach us out via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you with that.

Please sign in to leave a comment.