I want to have multiple versions of the same photo.

Answered

Comments

12 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Michael,

You can either make a copy of a file, so Luminar will show 2 (or more) files, or you can do the following:

• Create a template from the edits you have applied to your image and save it: https://prnt.sc/w4lnnd 
    • Revert back to the original, edit the image again and save another template;
    • Then switch between two (or more) to see the differences.

If you would prefer creating copies of your image in the catalog, the quickest way to do that would be to right-click on an image and choose "Show in Finder" to view the image on disk. Then right-click on that and choose "Duplicate".

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark Rosher

I think this is something I've referred to. Are you saying that once you've saved a .jpg version you cannot further manipulate the RAW and export a second or third .jpg image, but instead you need to duplicate the RAW and start again? If so, I'm afraid L.AI is not fit for purpose.

Michael Schleider

You are correct. Best way is to duplicate raw file pix and add the copies in the catalog. Skylum needs to add virtual photos. I’ve complained about this for a year and they have done nothing. Also their DAM for catalogues is deficient.  I also have ON1360. If they do sky replacements then I am done with Skylum. 

Leonie Prof. L. Dreschler-Fischer

For the time being, I am using Photos for Mac as the DAM and Luminar AI as a photo editing extension. This way I can easily duplicate the image in Photos and keep as many different edited versions of the same photo as I want. The RAW original is only stored once by Photos, and I can add titles and comments to tell the different versions apart.

Michael Schleider

This is a great idea.  I have 35,000 photos in my Library and I can easily add them all to the Lai catalog.

I think it would be overwhelming to use the same approach with MacPhotos But using the Mac plug-in

Kirk Osborn

You can process the image further after exporting. Please note that you cannot create virtual copies, but you can always proceed with editing your files after exporting them.

Michael Schleider

I am a photographer and shoot in raw.  I can use Luminar as plug-in.  The only problem is that once you edit a picture it is either saved as a Tiff or Jpg. and then you lose the opportunity to do further edits.

If I use photoshop and use smart object then I can go back to the file and edit some more.

Exporting creates a flat file and you lose all your ability to edit.  So for this reason I only use the export for sharing jpg pictures with family or on mobile devices.  Thanks for your input Kirk.

Richard Harrington

If using as a Photoshop plugin, try smart filters.  Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXVpbiz_Qkg&list=PLQlozenYb0jDBXLRwG0u34SlxjKcNmzjz&index=11

Michael Vogt

I'm not sure this will help many people, but if you're willing to go to the command line, you can create hard links to the file, which won't really use any more disk space, but will look like a completely different file to Luminar AI.

Martin Turner

The ability to make a copy of a photo IN-APP (irrespective of what it's called: virtual, whatever (i.e., it only exists in the catalog)) is a BASIC feature of MANY photo-editing apps; Luminar AI needs to come to the table on this, soon!

While helpful, the methods mentioned herein are tantamount to silly being this should be done by Luminar AI. Lightroom has done this for years and On1, Capture One etc. have had that for quite a while too!

Michael Schleider

I appreciate all the advice and work arounds. This is like telling someone all the ways to make toast in a broiler. I prefer to just press the toast button. Luminar is a like a broiler without a toast button. If the rest of the software companies can figure out how to make virtual copies then some creative Ukrainian should be able to as well. Let’s get it done and make our users happy. 

Marcello Macedo

Hi Gang!
    Quite disappointing these missing features from Luminar.
    @Michael Schneider: did you succeed adding your 35,000 pictures to the Luminar catalog? I´ll tell you that I had about 19,000, and I suffered many issues with the catalog, from slowliness to loosing the edits, and Luminar support told me to keep the catalog lower that 1,000 (!!!!) photos. That's right: ONE THOUSAND, only.

Luminar catalog is a joke. I moved from Mac to Windows, and Luminar doesn't have a toll to migrate the catalog. I had to export all the work I did on Mac to png, and be happy with that. In other words, I can't make further changes to those images without starting from scratch.

I was also rooting badly for the new On1 PhotoRaw 2022 to have, at least, a sky replacement tool as good as Luminar's, but it is miles behind.

The point is that I'm getting more and more disappointed with Luminar, but still it produces better results easier and fasted than On1 PhotoRaw (which I also have the 2021 license).

One thing I'm sure: I won't upgrade while that dammed catalog is still in use.

Please sign in to leave a comment.