Luminar AI: Launch Q&A

Pinned Featured

Comments

8 comments

Fred Pais

Hello, 
    I attended the launch seminar of Luminar AI. I am looking forward to actually using the software. 

I received 3 files thanks to Rich (I believe) including LUTs, Skies, and Textures as an AI Bonus download. I went to my folder in Windows 10 for the Program files and found both Skies and LUTs where I added the new files. However, I can't see where to apply the Textures folder to be used at some point. What should I do here?

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Harrington

Just use the Local Masking > Texture tool

Is there no way to transfer #tags, notes, flag colors to Luminar AI from Luminar 4? I'm on a Mac running Big Sur. Do I have to create all my albums again? 

When I installed Luminar AI I saw nothing to indicate it even was giving me the option of pulling information like the above and album structure from Luminar 4.

And where is the information pane as in Luminar 4? I can't figure it is, if it's there. Thanks.

Richard Harrington

Lower right corner in Catalog view (click the I button)

Mike Gee

Hey all, as a long time Luminar user on Mac,  I was excited by the prospect of Luminar AI. Sadly, after nearly month using I have to say that it is largely a waste of time and I mostly stick to using Luminar 4. 

So what's wrong with it? I use Luminar as a plug-in in Photoshop. In the past it has been responsible for some of the best editing I've ever done in conjunction with PS. Not the case with AI. Yes, you still have the edit functionality but if that is all I'm going to use then I might as well stick to Luminar 4.

The actual new AI template functionality is hopeless. Let's start with the templates it suggests when you open a photo in AI – I have, for instance, a lot of shots taken in a harbour – landscape, boats racing, people at play etc. The templates it suggests using have – 95% of the time – nothing to do with the type of photo I have to edit. The recognition is appalling.

Then there is the six or so looks within each template. If you are an Instagram user maybe they would suit but in general they are outlandish, unreal and turn the photo into something it was never meant to be. For serious photographers and editors they are simply a waste of time. It seems a direct pander to the quick and easy needs of the insta gen – I wonder if Skylum has actually researched the age bracket of its users and what they need and use Luminar for.

As a semi-pro photographer I would love there to be an editor that makes the process faster and simpler but this isn't it. If I was to show clients pictures edited with these templates I would be laughed out of the room. And my family and friends would, mostly, ask me what substances I'm taking.

AI shows a serious lack of understanding about photography and photographers. What was highly promising editing system in development has taken a u-turn and become a cheap penny arcade sideshow piece. This is underscored by the fact that Luminar  4 will be phased out in about a year's time and all of us who enrolled early in the piece delighted that here was a company trying to develop something really needed will be dumped unceremoniously at the side of the highway, our money taken and spent on this flight flam novelty called AI.

I could even stomach it if the AI actually worked but it doesn't – the sky replacement option is hit and miss at best, the facial recognition is very poor, it goes on and on. Luminar AI is a test program that needed a lot more development before users were actually charged for it.

It's all very sad. I'll keep using it until Luminar 4 is gone. But will I renew AI in a year's time? I very much doubt it.

Fred Pais

Hey Mike,

I just read your comments. I am a professional primarily in real estate photography. Most of my shots are inside.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Real Estate work is basically ignored in the industry as it takes a back seat to everything else. I find AI more suitable for portraits and landscapes, although unfortunately, I have no need for either at this time. My landscape photos are when I have time away from work and now perhaps when Covid is under control. 

I am awaiting my refund request after using it once in 10 days of receipt. Too bad as I also was expecting big things.

Espen Vestre

Hi Mike,

I have to agree with you. I'm not a semi professional, but an experienced amateur (having used SLRs since I was a kid - almost 45 years now). I used to be an Apple Aperture user and just recently switched to Luminar 4 because I wasn't very happy with Lightroom (I don't like the subscription and I don't like the app much either). I really liked the shadows and highlights controls of Luminar 4, and decided to jump on the Luminar 4 + Luminar AI + Aurora HDR package (I'm not into HDR, but the "natural" preset of Aurora works very well for some extreme contrast landscape/cityscape shots).

So, having really bought into the Skylum products, I was very excited about Luminar AI. What a disappointment! I haven't been able to use the suggested templates a single time yet, the suggested templates all make my pictures look like I'm a kid discovering Instagram for the first time. Since the templates are pretty much useless, what I get from Luminar AI so far is a less useful UI than Luminar 4.

I'm so disappointed that I've already moved to DxO Photolab 4 as my main platform. I'll keep Luminar and Aurora as extra tools to try whenever DxO PL4 doesn't give me what I seek. I'm now a bit angry with myself that I wasted so much money on the Skylum products before having thoroughly tried out Photolab. I'll probably only miss the AI sky enhancer (not the silly sky replacement tool, but the one which enhances sky contrast etc), which works very well on some dull skies.

Please sign in to leave a comment.