Luminar AI crashes every time

Answered

Comments

18 comments

Hello. The same thing happens to me, in windows 10. At this moment, it is useless
    Comment actions Permalink
    Jon Bish

At least you're using the program... Cant activate and is useless at this point...

Alan Cox

I have just started to use Luminar AI and I have worked on about 12 photos and was amazed how easy it was to use but this morning I was working on one photo and it crashed whilst Updating Image Gallery and every time I restart the programme it returns to this image - even after restarting the computer - any ideas? Thanks Alan

Austin Miller

Hello kass. Could you please specify if the app continues to crash? 

Jon what error message do you receive when trying to activate Luminar AI?

Alan please try the steps below:

1. Make sure Luminarᴬᴵ is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like. 
    4. Start Luminarᴬᴵ. Click File > Catalog > Open > navigate inside the folder you renamed in Step 3 > double-click Luminar AI Catalog.luminar file you've renamed in Step 2.

If the 4 steps above don't help:

1. Make sure Luminarᴬᴵ is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into the Terminal window: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarai
    8. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminarᴬᴵ. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder). 
    kass mcmahon

yes, i am still having this problem. I managed somehow to get one image completed and exported, and all others will crash the program when i try to export. I've lost significant work. Note that i tried to go from Luminar Ai to Luminar 4 to see if i could create and complete an image using Luminar 4, and this too will crash every  time upon Export, so none of the edits show up in my image back in Lightroom.

Kate Williams

Hi Kass,

Just to be sure that we're on the same page - are you using the software as a LR plugin or in the standalone mode? 

Where are your images located - internal or external drive? Are you able to reproduce the issue if the pictures are located on the internal drive, for instance, in a test folder inside Pictures? 

Could you please also verify the following:

1. Ensure that the size of the image does not exceed 15,000 pixels on one of the edges. 

2. Try disabling your antivirus software or adding Luminar to the list of its exceptions.

Moreover, to get the issue sorted out faster, it's essential for us to isolate its root cause. Let's check whether the issue is related to the combination of file and edits you're applying in Luminar. Could you please provide us with the screen recording of your editing process as well as the original file you're working with?

You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

To submit the info, please reach us at https://skylum.com/support

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Richard Huff

I'm having this crashing issue, too. I can open the plug in in Lightroom. I may get one task done on the image in AI and if I try one more it crashes. Fairly quickly I've gotten to the point where I need to apply changes after I make them before trying some of the other features.

Lee Greer

’m a portrait photographer who depends on software that works . I wasted so much time editing just to find out I can export them. I’ve tried every single trick to try and fix . The step by step uninstall method , turning off antivirus and firewalls, changing the display setting on monitor and managing the 3D graphics and boom still crashes .I’m on one of the most powerful computers around . So it back to Lightroom and photoshop plus the customer support sucks.

I am having same issue. Every time I use erase or clone features, application crashes and closes. Sometimes I manage to get some work done but then again it will crash. Part of the error...

-------------------------------

Application: Luminar AI.exe
    CoreCLR Version: 4.700.21.6504
    .NET Core Version: 3.1.12
    Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).
    Message: System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
    at Luminar5.UI.Models.RightPanel.Instruments.InstrumentSliderModel.RaiseUserChangedValue()
    at Luminar.Filters.ViewModels.BaseEffects.BaseEffectViewModel.UpdateValueCommandExecute(Nullable`1 update)

Victoria Grace

Hi,

Could you please reach our techs via https://skylum.com/support so that they could have a deeper look into the problem? Thanks in advance!

D R

Hi there,

You may have not noticed but there are NUMEROUS reports on crashes with Windows 10.

Your paying users are NOT your beta testers and debuggers, and to judge from the amount of frustrated issues, you need to do something about it.

For a start, add code to LuminarAI to intercept crashes, and allow to report to you with one click the system configuration, state of library file, and whatever you will need to debug the problem. Also, you should allow to to recover from a crash automatically, by allowing to scan and fix the catalog file on a restart after crash.

It is my guess that some editing tools/setting crash the app, and so even after a restart LuminarAI crashes when trying to apply the edit.

The simplest mitigation would be to allow after restart to UNDO the latest edit on the active image, which will allow LuminarAI to restart.

PLEASE do something about it, it's not hard, you just need to acknowledge there's a major issue and put effort to fix it.

Elena O'Brien

Hi there,

There are, indeed, a few issues with the new Luminar that we are working on fixing. That is why, we have an update coming in a week, give or take, to make sure our customers get a stable software.

If you are facing any issues with Luminar, please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support
    and we'll get that sorted out for you ASAP.

D R

Thank you Elena, I will look forward to this release.

Pedro Rivas Soberón

Since the second update (the one of the reflections of the skies) the program breaks every two by three. It is very hard to work like this

Helga Rowles

Hi Pedro,
    We've recently discovered a crash associated with the Sky AI and Augmented Sky tools. It should be fixed in the upcoming update. We're really sorry for the hassle. 
    If Luminar AI crashes when you're using other tools as well, could you please reach us at http://skylum.com/support so we can further investigate it?

LUCILLE VAN OMMERING

I agree with all the folks who've been experiencing problems with replacement skies and subsequent crashes.  If you truly expect to convince customers to buy your products, including the latest "luminar neo", I suggest you do a much better job in getting the basics right!  Not only is the constant crashing maddening to your paying customers, it's also rotten business practice.  At this point, I have let all my photo friends know about this horrible situation, and they have decided to heed my advice about going elsewhere.

D R

I think I mentioned it before, any software - especially as technically-complex as Luminar, may have bugs. What I don't understand, is why Luminar does not have a built-in mechanism (crash report framework) to track such crashes and report them to the developers to make it easier for them to identify and fix the issues.

Also, performance can be quite annoying at times - there is no reason why not to move some tasks to the background. For example, exporting can be handled as a background task, avoiding they long wait while exporting images.

Kate Williams

Hi Lucille, 

Please contact us at https://skylum.com/support if you currently experience crashes in Luminar. We'll do our best to help you. 

Kindly mind that even though we've announced Luminar Neo, we still support Luminar AI and are working on an update that will ship within a couple of weeks.

=========================

D R

You can click Luminar AI > Help > System info > Save as > send us the generated .zip file at https://skylum.com/support or directly - support@skylum.com

Not only does it collect the basic system info, but it also collects some app logs and settings that can be helpful. 

However, we do need to get the standard Windows event logs since the crash report framework can track not all crashes (because of their nature). For instance, if the crash occurs because of the issues with memory allocation, the app is closed by Windows before the crash gets logged. It's still written into the standard event viewer, though. 
    When it comes to collecting info about a case, we prefer having as much information as possible to ensure that no details go unnoticed. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.