Luminar AI crashing when exporting

Answered

Comments

22 comments

I am currently trying to export 42 photos. The progress bar is not moving (but is showing) and nothing is happening. So problems with export here as well. Photos are all JPEGs.

Comment actions Permalink
    Austin Miller

Hello all.

Could you please try the following?

1. Ensure that the size of the image does not exceed 15,000 pixels on one of the edges. 

2. Try disabling your antivirus software. 

3.  Try changing the export directory to an alternative one. Verify that you have all read-and-write permissions for that folder: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10 

4. Please verify that you have an admin account: https://oit.ncsu.edu/it-security/antivirus/how-to-tell-if-you-are-an-administrator/ 

You can right-click the app icon > Run as Administrator.

If none of these steps help, could you please try to create a new Catalog via File > Catalog > New, add a small folder with images there (via File > Add Folder), and check whether you're able to export the files from there? 

John Kizorek

Happens when exporting any size file. Software seems very unstable. Has crashed “every” time I try saving an image, sometimes just in the middle of editing.
    I’m sure you’ll get the bugs out, but this is not a program I can trust for my business at this point.

Frank Zelko

Luminar AI seems to crash when exporting a photo back to the original file. Must rename and then no issues. Is this normal? I had this happen in Luminar 4 too.

Helga Rowles

Hi Frank, 

Could you please try reinstalling the app?

• Delete the app with AppCleaner. Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner 
      Drag LuminarAI from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminarAI.
    • Go to Pictures -> LuminarAI Catalog and rename this folder (if you have created the Catalog in another Location, please navigate there and rename the Catalog folder).
    • Open LuminarAI Catalog folder, locate the file LuminarAI Catalog.luminarai and change its name too. 
    • Go to Application Support (launch Finder > Go > Go to Folder > paste /Library/Application Support/Skylum Software and delete LuminarAI folder.
    • Go to Terminal and paste: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarai , then press Enter
    • After that please install LuminarAI back from the link below:
      http://skylum.com/download/luminar-ai-download 

Let us know if the issue persists when you export a photo back to the original file. Thank you in advance!

Frank Zelko

Hi Helga, I followed your directions but only got to the point where I went to Finder.Go.Go to folder. I typed in the /library/Application Support/Skylum Software and I get "can't find folder". Wont go any further and I did not see the next step which was delete AI folder. Suggestion as I have removed everything so far, renamed folders as direct, and now stopped from proceeding because of this. Helpplease

Elena Blum

Hi Frank,

Please copy/paste this path ~/Library/Application Support/Skylum Software

Marco

I solved with windows antivirus settings (Win10): antivirus threats setting -> allow apps via controlled folder access -> allow LuminarAI.exe

It is also possible to solve it starting from the history of the antivirus interventions (access to blocked folders); you will find the Luminar block applied to the folder you have chosen for export. Just select Allow via the Actions button

Yener Bülbül

Ok, if Skylum has a 100% clear, easy and step by step solution for all the crashes (in using and with export) then send a message. I prefer a software update because I am not responsible for problems with Software I bought. In the meantime I use Photolab 4........

Now I turned off all windows defender tools but I can export maximum 7 pics. Then it crashes. You can understand after this big advertising campaign of the "best photo software ever" the result is very disappointing and I am more then angry!!!

The software itself is fine but I a have not the time to waste my time with non working, problematic software.

Thx. for understanding.

Yener Bülbül

If I export in the standard directory/path then the export works. I mean I am now exporting 166 pictures. Number 70 is now ready exported. Before after 5 pictures the software crahses. So until now it looks fine.

Anyway I am a new user of Luminar AI and the software seems to have too many bugs. The software is fine but Luminar must stop the bugs.

Sean Frev

Hoping this helps someone using Luminar 4 on Win10.  I had continual crashing trying to export a large jpeg panorama. I finally was able to make it export using these steps, no idea why or if it will work for you but I tried every other combo and this was the only one that worked:

1) Right click every icon in your systray toolbar and quit or exit everything I could

2) Put computer in Airplane Mode

3) Stopped Antivirus protection by right clicking on Windows security Shield in systray toolbar>View Security Dashboard>Virus and Threat Protection>Turn Off Real Time Protection (This disables Controlled Folder Access too)

4) Hit START button and type "Remove" then choose Add or Remove Programs. Find Luminar 4 and choose Uninstall (this won't remove any settings or photos, just repairs the installation)

5) Luminar setup will begin and then choose REPAIR Luminar. Exit setup when it finishes!!

6) Run Luminar as Administrator (right click Luminar Desktop icon or in Start Menu and choose that option)

7) Exported using these settings: JPEG at 100% quality and Dimensions set to Long Edge at 14000px, No sharpening and I exported to my desktop instead of the usual folder. Your dimensions may vary but since my jpeg was a pano it was over the 15000px limit in Luminar

If this helps, please hit the up arrow to give a thumbs up!!

Luminar, please continue to support your customers, mmmkay?

Lee Greer

I’m a portrait photographer who depends on software that works . I wasted so much time editing just to find out I can export them. I’ve tried every single trick to try and fix . The step by step uninstall method , turning off antivirus and firewalls, changing the display setting on monitor and managing the 3D graphics and boom still crashes .I’m on one of the most powerful computers around . So it back to Lightroom and photoshop plus the customer support sucks.

Milton Torres

This is completely unacceptable, you sold us a buggy software and now you want us to jump through hoops to make it work? that is your responsibility as dev and as a business, I have tried everything you always put out which is the "tylenol for all ailments" SOP, I just got an update and although it seems to be getting along with Lightroom, still crashing when exporting, its a damn shame because your software is awesome, please fix the bugs, you are wasting a lot of our time and money on top of the money we used to buy your software, photographers are frustrated and tired of getting the same answer and fix, btw your software hugs memory from 00 to 9gb ram in like 3 minutes of editing 

Lee Greer

Milton this software is a joke. the only way it will work halfway correctly Is to Have a PC or A Mac with only Luminar installed, no other programs. The way their developers test it. Every time there's an update I try it out and it's even worst than the previous. Now when u add a template and try to reset it back to normal.it won't! the template is still on the photo. I'm in the works of trying to get my money back no one will even respond. we just have to wait for a real company to take these ideas and make them work, till then continue using photoshop and lightroom.

F-M Mellbin

I can only - on a very able PC - export 6-10 pictures at a time before crashing. Wanted to use AI solution to mass-process my pictures, but impossible when I cannot get the results out. I have today and yesterday spent around 5 hours exporting just 185 pictures out of more than 600 processed.

Such a shame - great interface and LuminarAI could have done everything i needed it to, but sadly when trying to export even one file it hangs or crashes.  I tried all the troubleshooting tips to no avail and have reluctantly uninstalled the trial software.

Hi all,
    Same problem here, currently running the trial version (1.5.1 (8677)) on Windows 10 Pro, CPU: Xeon E5620  and 18Gb RAM.
    I was planning to buy the software but it's unusable, at export the program closes/crashes, no files are being exported ... :-(
    Too bad because the features are great!
    Regards

Helga Hufflepuff

Dear Member,

Sorry to hear that Luminarᴬᴵ did not work properly. Please, note that our software requires at least Intel i5 or better to run smoothly. Intel Xeon doesn't meet the system requirements, which is why you experience unstable performance. Here you can learn more about technical requirements:

https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/technical-requirements 

Hi Helga! I am running Intel Core i7 and ran across the same problems and had to uninstall 

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Member,

In case your computer does meet the requirements, there might be another problem. Would you mind reaching us via https://skylum.com/support ? We will check this further and see how we can resolve the problem.

Thierry

Hi,

I have just purchased Luminar AI.

I have exported 2 pictures fine but the system crashes every time I try exporting the 3rd one.

Could anyone please help me?

Thankk you

Kate Williams

Hi Thierry,

This is something our support team may want to look into. Could you please send us event logs at support@skylum.com

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email to support.

A video tutorial on how to collect logs: https://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Also, please click Luminar AI > Help > System Info > Save as and attach the generated .zip report as well. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Please sign in to leave a comment.