rating of photos not allowed anymore?

Answered

Comments

8 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi Andy, 

Yes, you're right. When Skylum designed LuminarAI it was with a fresh perspective. It has always been intended to be viewed as a new application and not an upgrade to Luminar 4. As such, the design group carefully evaluated the purpose of the product and its intended audience.

LuminarAI is designed to be a fast and intuitive photo editor. It is powered by artificial intelligence so you can quickly edit images with templates and AI-powered tools. These adjustments can then be quickly synced with other images.

LuminarAI is not designed to be a place where you organize your images and store them for a long period of time. Rather you are encouraged to develop the images you need and then export them when your images are complete. The catalog is designed to help you quickly find the images you want to edit and to apply those edits to multiple images.

If you do need to use a photo organizer, you can continue to use the AI-powered tools as a plugin or extension to photo organizers like Lightroom Classic and Photos for macOS.

Comment actions Permalink
    Dirk Abmeyer

Oh! Another annoyance. I'm still so busy with the others that I haven't even noticed ...

In my opinion, it is a bit ridiculous to keep claiming all the time that AI is something completely different or even an alternative to 4. It's 95% the same, it's not noticeably faster and some important options are even missing.

Markus Fröhlich

"If you do need to use a photo organizer, you can continue to use the AI-powered tools as a plugin or extension to photo organizers like Lightroom Classic and Photos for macOS".
    Why should I buy Luminar If I would already own Lightroom??
    ITS really anoying to read this now. Also, I didnt notice any speed improvement. All the ai stuff was already included in Luminar 4!

Helga Rowles

Hi Markus,

Luminar AI offers a bunch of innovations and a reinvented editing workflow. You can read about the advantages of Luminar AI vs Luminar 4 here: https://skylum.com/luminar-ai (Click on I already own Luminar 4. Do I need LuminarAI?).
    Also, we invite you to check our FAQ: https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/ai/general

As for speed, we'll surely keep improving it. However, there are also a couple of factors that can influence it. Please reach us at https://skylum.com/support with the following clarifications: 

• How many images are there in your Library? Please send us the screenshot of your Catalog file structure as in the example: http://prntscr.com/w77shs   
    • Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?
    • How much time exactly do certain actions take? 
    • Your hardware configuration: 

Click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. Check out this article (click this text to open link) about making screenshots on Mac if you need help with that. Attach the screenshot to your support request. 

James (Jim) Roberts

Not having a 5-star, searchable photo ranking system WITHIN LuminarAI and no way (at least that I can find!) to enter, modify, or save sidecar EXIF info is the DUMBEST marketing and product development decision imaginable, in my opinion, because it introduces a series of irksome extra steps to workflow that are time wasters and the LAST THINGS anyone who shoots a lot wants to suffer through.

Dumb, dumb, dumbest! possible product development mistake...and, regretfully, also the reason I will not recommend LAI - even though it does have some innovative features.

GEEZ, people! How hard can it BE to add these BASIC PHOTOGRAPHIC tools? You're doing AI, for heaven's sake, and you can't handle incorporating simple database and sidecar stuff!?!?!  Duhhhh.

Andrew Merryman

When I installed AI on Windows 10, I clicked "install as stand alone" rather the "install as plug in". Alina said it was never intended to be an organizer, so that was my mistake. Now I need an organizer.

Can I use the library/organizer in Luminar 4 and edit images using AI as a plug in? When I open Luminar 4 and click edit, I see an option to edit with plug in, but do not know how to set AI as an option.

I have no need for Lightroom, but I could download a copy of Adobe Bridge. Please provide a suggestion.

Andy #2

Brendan Burbage

I have to add my voice to this - my workflow is about as simple as it can get, 1 star = shortlisted, 2-star = edited, and LAI can't even support that.

I was really hoping that LAI was going to include the long-promised keywording, but instead the majority of the Catalog functions have been removed.  I do understand that you are aiming LAI at users who want to do a quick edit that creates a fabulous image, export and go to the next (and it certainly does make a huge difference to my images), but why include a catalog at all if it has so little functionality - wouldn't it be clearer for everyone just to operate on single images, and allow new images to be dropped onto the open app.

Please don't recommend Lightroom as a Catalog as a huge number of your users have come to Luminar precisely because they don't want to get trapped in Adobe subscription model.  If you aren't going to provide a viable Catalog please at least refer us to a viable alternative.

I've been using Luminar for a few years now, and it was steadily (if slowly) getting better, but this feels like a big step backwards.... please reconsider, maybe have a basic and advanced catalog mode (I'm sure you've still got all the v4 code lying around somewhere!) so that all the extra features can be hidden if you don't want to use them - as in your new vision, without alienating a lot of your existing users.  I spent a lot of time looking for an Adobe alternative, looks like I will probably have to start again

andy gray

Hi @Brenda....my workload is similar and I share same frustrations.
    My workaround now is.
    1. LAI when I feel lazy and want quick fix
    2. Bit more time tend to default to L4
    3. For that in depth professional tweaks and cataloging I use and totally recommend DXO Photolab 4........

Please sign in to leave a comment.