Luminar 3 crashing under MacOS Big Sur

Answered

Comments

24 comments

• Official comment
    Elena O'Brien

Hi Ryan Madaris,

Please note that Luminar 3 is our legacy application, which means that we no longer support it.

You can use the following workaround to perform export: click on the 'Export' button, select 'Open in Photos' option, and export an edited photo that way: https://prnt.sc/vjf8fm 

Also, we provide free Luminar 4 licenses to all Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex owners on macOS Big Sur and Monterey who're facing this issue. 

To redeem yours, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support

Comment actions Permalink
    Gerald Drescher

same for me - bought a new MacBook, copied my catalog and now I am not able to export anything. This is super annoying and makes me super angry since I spent so much time editing and now there are over 2k photos which I can't export or use for anything... 

I also dislike the answer from Elena O'Brien since I bought Luminar to be independent from Adobe. For the money I spent for Luminar and now need to spend again for the Update to AI, I could have proceeded with Lightroom with full support and full integration in Bridge.

So I am highly disappointed by Skylum at thist point.

Gerald Drescher

in another post I found a solution - do not export your pictures via export function 'cause obviously Luminar 3 will crash. Instead use "open with" - "photos" - this way I was able to import my files to photos and then export it from photos to my personal folder.

This at least saves you from loosing all your stuff.

But still Luminar support did not come up with this - another user had to - that's not what I call good service.

Everybody who is looking for an alternative now, I tried darkroom which is ok, but I will go with adobe Lightroom from now on... 

Derek Li

Just experience the same crash issue here.

Skylum please fix the issue and don't let your customer down. Luminar 3 is not really that old and I'm quite frustrated with the non-support statement. 

jeroen gevers

Same problem here, I'm using L3 for about a year and for me as a non-professional L3 was working fine. I'm not upgrading to 4 or ai, at least not for the money they are asking for it. 

I'm a bit angry for how Skylum handles the issue's here.

I think it's better to pay for Lightroom, which works, then to fork over more money to a company that only supports the software for about a year......

Andy Thomas

Same here. It's not unreasonable to ask for the ability to save work as before in Luminar 3, which is only a year or two old. I do not want to upgrade to Luminar 4 and find that it becomes "legacy" after a few months, and I certainly do not want to follow Skylum down their "Turn your photo into something it isn't with Luminar AI" road map.
    Luminar 3 was a great product. So sad, but I will reluctantly be going to the LR subscription model. So long, Skylum. Thanks for nothing,

Kate Williams

Hi Andy,

Luminar 3 will receive its compatibility update so this crash will not be an issue. It's just that our development resources are currently limited and directed to the current version, Luminar AI, so it may take some time before the Luminar 3 update is rolled out. 

In the meantime, we can offer you a free extension of a Luminar 4 trial until the Luminar 3 update is shipped. To get it, please download and launch a free Luminar 4 trial here: https://l.skylum.com/luminar4_mac 
    Then, please reach our support team at https://skylum.com/support and provide the following info:

1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
    2. Click About This Mac.
    3. In the window that opens, click System Report.
    4. In the window that opens, make sure Hardware is selected in the column on the left.
    5. Locate the Hardware UUID string, copy it, and paste it into your reply to this email.

With this data, we'll be able to extend the trial. 

Note that the trial has no limitations in functionality. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Andrew Lo Forte

They should give us free update to Luminar 4 and aurora 2019... I have issues on both...they don't even open anymore...I'm very upset...

Andy Thomas

Just an update: Following Kate William's post, I have now installed a trial version of Luminar 4, and have received a 55 day extension to the trial.
    Hopefully this will tide me over until Skylum resolve the issue with exporting in Luminar 3 on macOS Big Sur.
    Thank you, Kate & team.

jenny xie

Thanks Andy for your update. Is the solution mentioned by Katy applicable to all affected Luminar 3 users? Would be great if Katy saw this and could reply. I have been very much annoyed by the crash for a few months already.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jenny! We will be happy to help you, please follow the instructions above and reach our support team: https://skylum.com/support

Rino Vogel

Are there any Updates for this problem or should we better switch to another program? It's really annoying to work like this and i will definitly not buy another Luminar if this is the support they provide...

jeroen gevers

Rino, there isn’t an update. I got sick waiting for it. So I switched to Lightroom,

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Rino and Jeroen,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused by lack of Big Sur support in Luminar 3. Since Luminar 3 is now claimed to be a legacy app, there will be no compatibility update BUT we do not want you to feel neglected and ignored. All Luminar 3 owners, who use Luminar 3 on Mac with Big Sur can receive a free copy of Luminar 4, so you can continue editing your images.

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support, so we can provide you with a free license. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ryan Knell

Hey Helga,

I just discovered the issue myself after upgrading to Big Sur.

I actually already own Luminar 4 - I bought it some time back and am happy to support Skylum as I get great results with your software for a range of applications. Being a software developer myself I understand that you need to sunset applications and the cost of ~$100 for an update for what it offers isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

This isn't an "i'm going to jump to lightroom" post.

What I wanted to do though is give you guys some context of how I use luminar in my workflows, and why I have 3 installed next to 4, which is also why I'm disappointed by the decision not to provide an update.

Luminar 3 is a really powerful tool that allows you to quickly edit and balance your photos. I heavily customise my workspace setting and saving defaults for the tools I use most frequently. I see it as a professional tool and an essential part of my photography toolkit - although I only do it for hobby reasons.

When I purchased Luminar 4 I was disappointed to see you had done away with workspaces, and instead I now need flick through each category every time to find the various changes I want to make. This was a huge setback for me and if I am not doing "creative" work with skies and a few other bits I go back to Luminar 3.

If you could please pass my disappointment on to the manager / product owner who makes these decisions, as this is a real request coming from a paying customer who is glad to continue to support your software - prosumers are a big part of your market and a segment you are letting down with recent incarnations.

Helga Hufflepuff

Ryan Knell,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback about Luminar. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your frustration and see how Luminar 3 is important and useful for you. 

Of course, I made sure to forward your comment to a relevant team for consideration to show that we still have active Luminar 3 users. As much as I would love to, however I cannot promise anything at the moment, but be sure that I brought this up to my colleagues' attention.

Appreciate your kind input. Thank you for being our dedicated user. We are happy to have you among Luminar users. 

Pratish Menon

I use Luminar 3, and I have been having the same issue i.e. 'crash on export'. I uninstalled before I read this thread, and now I am unable to install Luminar 3 altogether. Helga Hufflepuff - any help would be appreciated.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Pratish Menon,

I'm sorry to inform you that export issue was not fixed for Luminar 3, since this is now our legacy app. If you own Luminar 3, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we can provide you with Luminar 4 license instead. Look forward to hearing from you.

jeroen gevers

I tried that, left my details with “support” to get an luminar 4 license. Nothing was sent.
    I loved luminar 3, but how your company conducts their business, made me chose someone else. Heck, I was forced to look somewhere else.
    Please keep your promises to your clients.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Jeroen,

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Having checked our message history, I see that we did send you Luminar 4 license, but for some reason our letter did not reach you. I made sure to resend it. Please, check your inbox and Spam just in case.

I also have no other choice than revive the thread here.

It is so frustrating, and I have also emailed the support a while ago - no reaction in months!

Thank you for nothing, Skylum!

Margaret Bright

Dear Member,

Could you please reach us at urgent@skylum.com? Our team will assist you ASAP.

東煜 11陳

My luminar 3 on mac hasn't got update for solve  export problem

Kate Williams

Hi 東煜 11陳,

Luminar 3 is legacy now, it won't get compatibility updates. However, we offer free Luminar 4 licenses to all Luminar 3 owners on Mac with Big Sur or Monterey who experience crashes during export. 

To  redeem yours, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support 

Please sign in to leave a comment.