Luminar AI and Layers

Answered

Comments

12 comments

Elena O'Brien

Hi,

We’ve added a new Local Adjustment tool that lets you solve the problems that many rely on layers for. With it, you can make specific adjustments for individual areas or people. You can overlay textures or make targeted adjustments. Local adjustments are also easier to sync with multiple photos and can be stored in a LuminarAI Template. The Local Adjustment tool eliminates the need for complex layers, bringing results and performance without clutter.

Could you please clarify the issue you have encountered with adding a Texture in Local Adjustments?

Also, as to the watermark, you can also add it as a texture using the Local Masking tool, see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/w13tmf 

This way, you will be able to apply watermarks to your photos.

Comment actions Permalink
    marc legay

Hi Elena O'Brien

Maybe it's a user guide which is missing. Since Luminar 2018, here is how i do the watermark( it's an extract of  Luminar 2018 user guide): Blend, then you must be able to reduce the size & change the color curves. And at last change the blending mode
    If you can show me how to do the same with AI no problem....

johnes Flores

I’m interested in how to insert the watermark using texture masking. I’ve tried it several times with ZERO success. Also, layers is great with composite photos. I still don’t know how with AI.

Bob Gee

I agree ... Now, I really like to use Luminar for my editing but it seems like every new release they eliminate something. When we went from 3 to 4, you could not make slight angular adjustments in the cropping tool, you had to transform first then crop. Now, going from 4 to AI, losing the layering is another pain point to work around, especially if you are doing a series of photos that you have bracketed.

So disappointed layers are gone.  I'll stick with 4. 

Greg Hammond

Eliminating layers is a huge shortfall and a terrible mistake. Seems insane to invest so much into development to throw away a critical tool. Luminar AI is amazing, and there is nothing wrong with simplifying the main interface, but there is no reason to eliminate tools. Local masking does not replace layer functionality. Period. Asking your users to kludge their way through this is not right. 

Federico Lazzari

Indeed, I am a low-intermediate user. I don't do photo shoots and deal with photos intermittently. I got used to L4 layers and as some other users noted, AI local masking is not the same and as easy to blend photos and take control of different edit options. 

Especially since VERSIONING has never been a feature (Which we had in Apple Aperture). 

Another lost feature is the star-ranking in the catalog. But this perhaps belongs to another thread. Yet I am startled to receive as response that AI is not meant to replace Luminar 4, but it does not add-in into it - as it does with adobe and photos by apple. The common theme here is that I don't really understand where you are heading to with your product strategy..... 

antony sutton

This is marked as answered, but the loss of layers has not been replaced by the very limited toolset you offer. I can't even apply a different level of an effect to different areas of my image at different levels - this si 101 of image processing!!!!   try using Lightroom for a few hours and see how their editing tools work - then COPY THAT

Lucio Ferri

Definitely NOT answered, rather throwing heaps of ridiculous and useless workarounds and excuses.

Find me a single photographer NOT using the layers and I'll be more than happy buying the new version.

Meanwhile, rather than stick with the old version I'll likely fully move to the competition

Federico Lazzari

I agree, again, it remains totally NOT answered. Why don't you at least develop Luminar AI as a plug-in / add-on to Luminar 4 !!!

That would allow those like me to stick with Skylum's Luminar and not move on to a competitor. Since AI your product strategy makes no sense. 

I just wish I could get my money back- 

Tim Otto

I switched from Lightroom to Luminar because I objected to their going to a subscription model.

I have both Luminar and Luminae AI and am a Luminar X member.

I thought that Luminar was intended to compete with Lightroom but after hearing a cousin talking about his Adobe Elements program, I can't help but wonder if Skylum is intending to position itself against Adobe Elements versus Lightroom. .Who is your target audience?

Thanks,

-Tim  

Margaret Bright

Hi Tim, 

Please see my reply to you in this thread: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009740660/comments/4404911507090

Please sign in to leave a comment.