Launch Times - App and Plugins - Unbelievably S L O W!

Answered

Comments

13 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Robert,

Using artificial intelligence in photo processing saves you time, but in order to run all technologies correctly, the program requires more resources and the launch speed depends on them. 

However, as far as I can see you have macOS Mojave and this is a known issue with the start time on this macOS and we plan to fix the situation in one of the following updates.

Comment actions Permalink
    Robert McQuinn

Hi @Elena,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that AI requires more resources. Topaz Sharpen AI launches and works very quickly - see the times I posted above. I guess it is what it is. Disappointing to say the least.

I'll have to wait for the update, (I will not "upgrade" the OS to Catalina or Big Sur - I have no use for either of them) as the way it is now it's useless for me. Of course this begs the question, if your development team knew there was an issue with this, why would you release it until you fixed it (or at least put a disclaimer on the download). Corporate deadline?

Sean Foo

You can make a drink with that wait time!

rajiv pachat

I also noticed that eventhough I selected the option for having Luminar Ai as plugin for PS 2021 it never comes up unlike Luminar 4. Also while launching Luminar AI there is a message which says software not responding till such time it comes into life. Wish your team did the necessary groundwork before launching the software this year in a huff!

Elena O'Brien

Hi Robert McQuinn,

This wasn't a rushed release to meet the deadline, but please note that official release date for LuminarAI is set to December, 15th. We plan to release an update very soon, so that no matter which OS you are running, it will work smoothly for you.

Matt Orth

“but please note that official release date for LuminarAI is set to December, 15th.”

So the current release is a beta, and not the official release?  That wasn’t made clear before. 

Robert McQuinn

Hi Elena

Your company hyped this EARLY availability as part of the hook to get us to buy early and have access to the new product before the rest of the world. Nothing in your corporate media suggested that this would be a pre-release version of buggy software. lol

So...we are beta testers given that the "real" release is 12/15. had I known that, I would have waited and saved myself the time, trouble and aggravation of the last few days.

How to I get a refund?

Elena O'Brien

It is not a beta version, It is a final version of the product. Just to clarify, we did not have a beta for LuminarAI. It is just possible that our team will roll out more performance updates once LuminarAI is officially released.

I am very sorry that you have stumbled upon any bugs with our software, I hope that with the future updates you'll have nothing but a smooth performance.

Robert McQuinn, if you'd like to receive a refund, please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support and we'll get that sorted out for you ASAP.

Sean Foo

I remember a lot of the affiliates mentioned they're using BETA of Luminar AI, or were those incorrect?

Christopher Curtis

Sorry Elena O'Brien, but this sentence:

It is not a beta version, It is a final version of the product. Just to clarify, we did not have a beta for LuminarAI.

completely contradicts what other representatives of your company have said, and formally. People who signed up early and joined Luminar Insiders were told that some of them might (for mysterious reasons) be chosen to receive a beta of the software. Some of them did and were frequently reminded on that forum that they must not discuss or even mention their experience unless they also made it clear that they were using a beta. Your evangelist, Rich Harrington, used what he called a "legally required" formula to make it clear that the features being discussed or demonstrated were not yet fixed, even after it was announced that the software had gone "gold master" and the first 30,000 customers were given access. There were also numerous examples of your affiliates being told NOT to demonstrate or discuss particular aspects of the software because "it is in beta and that is likely to change before release. It has been repeatedly made clear that the software is only publicly released on 15 December 2020. What people have now is not a released product but pre-released.

Some of this is pointless semantics, just like whether Luminar AI is really "new" or just a new version of Luminar, or whether Luminar 4 which is about a year old is really obsolete or will continue to work (while your computer and OS meets its requirements) or whether features which have been removed are really improvements.

The reality is this: some of your most supportive and enthusiastic customers (who were willing to pay for a product they had not seen nearly 4 months before they would receive it) seem to be disappointed enough to want their money back. Some feel disappointed because the app does not do what you said it would, or does so slowly and with lots of bugs. Some are disappointed because they bought your last strongly hyped software less than a year ago and with operating system and hardware upgrades realise its days are numbered (plus companies almost never maintain old software anything like as well as their newest). Some are disappointed because the new product breaks their workflow.

You can't please all the people, or all your customers, all of the time. No software is perfect and certainly not for every possible use. You have to make decisions about how your products will develop. That's all fair enough, and customers will either love what you do or go somewhere else. I think the underlying issue with Skylum is that you are not fundamentally honest about all that. You've spent months describing Luminar AI as a huge and radical breakthrough that will change photo editing forever by making it quicker, better and more creative, requiring less time and knowledge than ever before. You've paid a lot of affiliates and evangelists and educators to demonstrate turning unpromising originals into stunning results, with one or two moments' work. My experience of Luminar is that it does some good things to some of my images, and I can be delighted with the results. It tends to be too strong and overblown, to give superficial impact at the cost of real quality unless I work hard to tame it. It's also often slow or very slow, sometimes buggy and in my experience can't do what it needs to do to be at the centre of my photographic workflow. I'm hoping that Luminar AI will be an improvement on Luminar 4 and was willing to pay for it despite how recent Luminar 4 purchase was, but I am not expecting miracles. I hope it will be acceptable.

Your CEO says that you don't want anyone using Luminar who doesn't love it. I don't. Where does that leave me?

Robert McQuinn

Christopher Curtis  you nailed it. I couldn't have said it better! 

Christopher Curtis

Thanks, Sorry to go on, but being irritated by Luminar as a company is very close to making it not worthwhile to try to use their (often pretty good) software.

Robert Cross

That launch time for Luminar AI is consistent with my experience on the same OS.  As are the launch times you give for all those other apps.  And the whole time my Mac tells me that Luminar AI is "Not Responding", before finally giving me a Login screen.  Of course, the Login never works, either.  This better be fixed fast, or I'm requesting a refund.  I also will not be "upgrading" to Catalina or Big Sur any time soon, as a significant selection of my creative apps (esp for music production) don't play nice with them yet.  And, by the way, the Login problems are happening to others in this Forum with at least Catalina installed, so...

Please sign in to leave a comment.