Luminar still slow and other issues.

Answered

Comments

12 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi!

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

You may also try to reset your PRAM. This way, your computer will work faster. Here is how you can do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 

Thank you for all your suggestions, we will take them into consideration.

If LuminarAI doesn't suit your needs, you can request a full refund via this form: https://skylum.com/support 

Comment actions Permalink
    Wolfgang Jarcik

Wieder nichts Neues hier - genau die gleiche Standard-Antwort haben wir schon zur Genüge bei Luminar 4 bekommen. 

Sean Foo

The last time I complain about Luminar 4 for slow performance compare to Lightroom Classic, I was told the same major tasks, improvement improvement, asked to reset PRAM, in the end saying my machine was at the older side so it's slow. 

My machine is old, mid 2011 iMac 24GB RAM 6750M 512MB Graphic (which Luminar didn't use much), Lightroom Classic speed is still about 10 times faster than Luminar 4. I was hoping Luminar AI will be faster at launched, so after reading all these posts seems like nothing had changed.

Jim Garten

Sean, for the hell of it I reset my PRAM, and guess what happened next time I started Luminar AI......As I clicked from one image to the next to see if was faster.... it CRASHED! LOL!

Luminar AI is not worth paying for if you have 4. I'm using 4 right now for  a moment to compare, and its pretty much the same thing. It's not going to edit your images any better, and certainly not be faster. All of this new "AI" detect your  image and give you templates and suggestions based of that, I have yet to be wowed by any of it.  I never like anything it chooses. for my images.   All they did was take what was in 4 (Looks, change the name to templates)and put a little bow on it and trying to give you what you already have! This "AI" detection of images and template suggestions should have been an update to 4. That's all its worth.

My MAIN reason for upgrading for me was the promised speed.   As you can see my computer is plenty fast and it's still slow. And still crashing!!

Yes Kirk, I will most certainly be taking your suggestion of getting a refunding, and also telling any photographer I can to steer clear of this software.   

Sean Foo

Same thought, I got Luminar 4 because it does DAM but the quality of the grid view pretty much unusable, I have to bring up each photo to see actual colour and edits (which took me more than 10 seconds or even close to 20-30 seconds). I made my decision to even switch to use the software came with my camera (no AI, slow but reliable, and never crashed on me). Now only use Luminar 4 for family portraits touch up if needed, I now rather spend my time on improving taking pictures than waiting Skylum to improve the software.

Jim Garten

Oh don’t even get me started on the DAM, I waited YEARS for that! Smh

Elena Blum

Hi Jim Garten,

I definitely understand how it can be frustrating to have it not work the way you think it should,  so hopefully, we can get this sorted out for you.  Please contact us  https://skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Christopher Curtis

JIm,

I see you have the same iMac as me. Have you updated to Big Sur?

There are widely reported issues and crashes with Luminar AI under Catalina or earlier.

I had a really, really bad experience with the first public release of Big Sur and ANYTHING that used the graphics processor, including Luminar. I took a risk and loaded the Big Sur 11.1 Public Beta and I now have a stable system including Luminar 4, which is not any faster than it has always been, but is no longer crashing. 

It's a combination of Apple releasing OS updates that are really still betas and Skylum's notorious failure to deliver.

I feel your event photography pain. I have many folders with 3000+ images (dance or music show where every performer and their fans and families wants to buy that perfect pose or magic moment). Luminar helps me make pleasing individual images when I have time to be creative, but it is not remotely fit for purpose in delivering great images fast during and after events. Sadly, speed and ease of processing is supposed to be its selling point.

Stan Schwartz

My gripe is slow rendering after slider changes--much slower than LR on the same image.  I wish they had that little notification in the lower left that disappears when rendering is complete (at least until it's faster).

Overall, Luminar AI has some nice features but I'm not sure it matches the hype.

Jim Garten

Christopher.... yes I'm up to date with the latest updates. I don't notice any difference from Catalina to Big Sur.

Stan.......... if you look at the Luminar AI logo at the top left you would see it kind of pulsates as its "working" then once its loaded it stops.

I also from time to time get slider slow down also, that's even more frustrating.

ALL I wanted was a faster program. They keep saying its built from the ground up. I saw in the windows forum someone say according to the file structure it's exactly the same. Seems it!  

The catalog system is useless!!! Give us a similar option like Lightroom to generate 1:1 previews. I would MUCH rather load in 1000 images and it have to take longer to generate them. Even an HOUR to generate them if need be, and then be super fast after as im editing, Than what it is now. I would say many people who process large amounts of images would certainly agree.

And what's frustration, is I DO like luminar very much. It does simple edits to my photos very well, and tougher to edit photos ( back lit, poorly lit) and can make it easier. I love the results i get. It's the only reason I have stuck with Skylum all these years since ummm 2015? I have literally stopped processing images the last 6 weeks waiting for this to come out, assuming as I was promised it was built from the ground up and faster.

John Sneddon

Luminar4 and now AI user. Lag when making adjustments with the sliders is unbearable. Exporting a single image after editing seems to take forever. Not very pleased with my purchase. I have a top spec Desktop PC - NVIDIA 1080GTX, 64Gb ram etc.

I tried the link above to apply for a refund but it doesn’t work!

Austin Miller

Hello John.

I am sorry to hear about the performance of Luminar AI.

Please reach us via support@skylum.com so we can refund your purchase.

Please sign in to leave a comment.