Comments

11 comments

Roy Blackwell

Gave it a try and it works, a bit convoluted but better than no way at all.

Comment actions Permalink
    Norm Gilbert

You need to bring back layers in AI. Without layers, this program will fail for all except the most casual and amateur of users. Even if layers is just used for plus-ins, you need to make AI plus-in compatible as much as Lightroom and Photoshop are. Right now Topaz Sharpen and Mask work as plug-ins in Luminar 4. Topaz Mask AI does not work in Luminar 4, but should be made to work in Luminar AI, which STILL HAS NO BACKGROUND REPLACE and likely never will.

Roy Blackwell

Julian Selman: I have not found a way to use Topaz AI products with Luminar AI via plugins.

Lynne Pariseau

that's a shame!! up to now, I've been able to use all of the Macphun programs as plugins, plus several from other companies --- I'm disappointed.   I guess the work around would be to do the AI editing, save the photo and then use the standalone version of the plugin to achieve the effect you wanted in the first place--- one plugin I used all the time is Noiseless.  the CK version worked better that the so-called denoise options in Luminar 4 etc.  Anyone have any other ideas?

Sam Nutton

OK Anastasia, Julian and Roy,

I've found a work around for this problem also assuming you have Luminar 4.

1) Copy the Luminar AI plugin file into the content folder of Luminar 4. This gives you the option to open Luminar AI from within Luminar 4.

2) Copy the Topaz Denoise AI plugin file from the contents folder of Denoise and place it in the Luminar 4 contents folder.

Open Luminar 4 (and because that still uses layers you can open Topaz Denoise AI and go to edit - plugins and chose the Topas Denoise option.  Topas DenoiseAI launches and you can edit the file using that. When you've finished editing your file in Denoise export it back to Luminar 4.

3) Then from Luminar 4 this time go to edit - plugins and choose Luminar AI and you denoised edited file exports in LuminarAI so you can continue to use the full features of Luminar AI.

It's a bit of a faff to set up but basically it inserts alayer using program between Luminar AI and Topas DeNoise AI.

I have tried this and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Sam Brown

The other advantage of this work flow is that it gives you access to work in traditional layers in a more flexible photoshop type of way if should want to. Also as Luminar 4 crashes on export to file since the update to Mac Big Sur and Luminar AI doesn’t if gives you back the functionality of Luminar 4. Now all we need is Canon R5 CR3 file support.

Lindsay Parker

Sam Brown, I would like to give your work around a try, but need a bit more help please. What is ' the Luminar AI plugin file' and where do I find it?  

Sam Brown

Lindsey since posting this it appears this only works within the Mac version of Luminar AI, is that the OS you’re using ?

Lindsay Parker

Sam, no, I'm using Windows.

Sam Brown

Skylum don’t include the plug-in files for windows OS to make the work around work sorry

Anastasia Davis

Hi Julian!

In our other applications, third-party plug-ins are supported and send back the processed image as a new layer. 

One of the changes in LuminarAI is the switch from layers to a Local Adjustments tool and smart segmentation of our AI-powered tools. This is why there will be no third-party plugin support in LuminarAI.

Please sign in to leave a comment.