Is Luminar AI a really step forward?

Answered

Comments

12 comments

Elena O'Brien

Hi,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

I can see that you are in contact with out support team, so I hope that we can make it all better for you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Brad Slama

I'm with Michele, Elena... I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled (twice), restarted computer, relaunched and... it still takes nearly a minute (51 seconds) to launch the program. My iMac is more than capable to run the program yet, AI seems to be arrive late to the party every time.  I really want this iteration to work; I just need it to cooperate.

Christopher Wong

I agree with both Michele and Brad.

Templates are similar to looks in Luminar 4.

Launching Luminar AI after install takes a few minutes and 45 seconds for each re-launch!

I am on iMac 27 Mojave 10.14.6. 

This is the only photo editing app that takes such a long time to launch!

Very disappointing....will there be a fix for this problem or do we have to live with it?

Helena Carter

Hi ,

As to the speed, could you please let us know the following:

- How many images are there in your Catalog?

- Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Michele Borgarelli

I don't have any image in my catalogue because I use Luminar as plug in for Lightroom. However, it doesn't make any difference if you launch it as lonestanding program or plug in, it takes forever.

I just want to point out again, that this is only part of the problem. The other aspect is that Luminar AI, in its current version, it is pretty much a down step compared to Luminar 4. It is very similar to what happened with Apple when they decided to leave Aperture for Photo. I am sure it is more appealing to a larger group of people, but to the fact the most of all advanced features have disappeared it is a major flaw and this is not what I was expected. So, unless this will change in the future, I already regret I spent my money on this software that is unlikely will be my future choice.

Michele

Brad Slama

Hello, Michele... I'm waiting as well for an update that will speed the launch but, I noticed that you wrote: "...most of all advanced features have disappeared...".  I think you'll find most of those when you click on "Edit" at the top of the window; then they're appear at the right. I apologize if I misinterpreted your comment. I hope that this helps, though.

Michele Borgarelli

Hi Brad,

So in Luminar AI you don't have the ability to add image layers or adjustment layer. Luminar AI has not the option "mask" but this tool is not flexible as it was to have adjustment layers. You can't add image layer that it was a very important "plus" of both Luminar 3 and 4. The help serviced said you can use the "texture" tool, but again this is not the same of adding an image layer. In the professional tool the very useful adjustable gradient tool has disappeared, as well the photo filter too. In Luminar 4 you could create specific mask for each tool, this is completely gone. One great features of LUminar 4 was to have the ability to see a preview of different LOOKS on the image directly (very fast). Now you need to go in templates, then click on the star below the magic wand and the list of your looks appears. However, they don't show an image, so you have to click on them to this the effect and this is slowing down the process. More, I sincerely don't understand why they keep changing names to the same tools (I guess is so we have the impression this is new?). 

So I have the impression that if you want to give up the ability to control post processing the images Luminar AI is probably the perfect software. But if you want to have the full control on the post processing, Luminar AI is a significant step back. As mentioned in my previous posts, I don't think this is going to be my future software. Indeed I have asked a refunding for my money.

best wishes

Michele

Brad Slama

Ahhhh.... I understand now, Michele. Thank you for the clarification. Maybe a little of PhotoLemur was snuck into this program. :) I'm going to sit back and see if they issue and update in the near future. I'm thinking that they wanted to launch this product before Christmas and may have put the cart before the horse.  I'll keep checking back on this forum for news from people like yourself. Thanks again, Michele.  Greetings from Alaska.

Michele Borgarelli

Brad I also hope these flaws are just they put the cart before the horse. However I am afraid , from my interaction with the support service, this is not the case and these tools won’t come back
    Best wishes from Virginia

Michele

Brad Slama

Well, we shall see. I still work in Luminar 4 and that may be where I'll stay if there's no update. Ironically, Michele, my new daughter-in-law is from Virginia. She seems to have left her accent there though.

Michele Borgarelli

Actually I am originally from Italy. ;)

Brad Slama

Yeah, with your name, I figured that you might be. My dad stepped off the boat from Austria. The same daughter-in-law and my son went to the Amalfi Coast to meet friends from Germany. They LOVED it there. He took some shots on his phone but no DSLR shots. Darn it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.