Extremely disappointed with Luminar AI after using Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

17 comments

Andy Miller

I agree. I will continue to use Luminar 4 occasionally. Having a hard time navigating the site to ask for a refund 

Comment actions Permalink
    Abhinav Bhatnagar

I would love to know if there is way to request for that. I am happy with my Luminar 4.

Andy Miller

I’m seeing if you click on 
    <Explore
    <About Skylum 

<Support and License renewal 

You can contact them via email from there

i really wanted this to work. Back to ON 1

Elena Blum

Hi Abhinav,

LuminarAI is a brand-new program, rebuilt from the ground up. It is not an upgrade to the previous version of Luminar. Moreover, we suggest to treat LuminarAI as an alternative to all traditional photo editors, including Luminar 4.

Most of our tools make selections for you thanks to Artificial Intelligence. AI perfectly handles the segmentation and application of tools to just the right areas.

We provide LuminarAI with your happiness guaranteed. I definitely understand that it can be frustrating to have it not work the way you think it should,  so hopefully, we can get this sorted out for you.  If not, I’ll be happy to issue you a refund for the money you spent on your purchase. Please contact us  https://skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help. 

Christopher Wong

Do not force quit Luminar AI after install and seemingly unresponsive launch.

It takes painstakingly (few minutes) wait time to launch after install and 30-60 seconds for all subsequent re-launch.

Certainly hope that this slow processing launch is fixed soon.

Kiril Varbanov

Yeah, same here. I will pursue options for refund. If not, I will simply flood all forums. There are no excuses such as "it's new" - I know it's new, that why I trusted you and prepaid. This is truly bad. If it's not tested, don't release it. 

Jeffrey House

This  is my first Luminar product and I'm really enjoying the features it offers. I'm not enjoying the constant "unresponsiveness" of the program so far.  Incredibly frustrating.  

Jeff Schwartz

It was working OK while I was 1st playing around but the 2nd day the edit functions stopped working and now the program doesn't even start.

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

If you are experiencing issues with launching Luminar AI, please try the following:

• Make sure Luminar AI is closed.
    • Locate your Luminar AI Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Rename the Luminar AI Catalog folder as well as Luminar AI Catalog.luminarai file inside this folder. Choose any name you like. 
    • Start Luminar and choose to Create a New Catalog.

Please note that you should be able to re-open your previous catalog later via File > Catalog > Open.

If the issue persists, please get in touch with our support team at skylum.com/support and they will help you sort it out.

I must also inform you that due to a high amount of requests, it may take some time for them to get back to you so I would like to kindly ask for your patience.

Christopher Wong

Not many folks are computer literates!

They are purchasing Luminar AI cause they were sold by all the rage about this newest photo editing software that solely uses artificial intelligence.

No one wants to spend their hard earned money on something that is problematic from start.

Problems should have been resolved prior availability for sale to the general consumers.

Phil

Not happy with Luminar ai. More targeted at beginners, fair enough, but why would you call one of the only 2 available local masks texture, makes no sense, still no tonal masking either
    luminosity masking is not nearly as useful. This is a backwards step skylum, lets hope an update improves it.

Phil

Sorry automask is much more descriptive.

roger hersee

Agree that AI does not appear to be as revolutionary as claimed, and some features seem to be absent.

Very disappointing, but will try harder before giving up.

Michael Z

If there were'nt so much bugs it should be renamed to "luminar for beginners" or "luminar elements".
    The "export-tab" is a fake with no function (I have to go to the main menue...)
    The "histogram" is unusebaly small, no hotkey for it, just a bad joke.
    No implementation of ColorCheckers in order to work with defined colors.
    Compared to Luminar 4 this is a GIMMIK, NOT A TOOL for Photographers.

I suspect, the real intention of luminar AI is to be a platform for selling "extensions".
    Feeding your influencers seems to be more important than to ask photographers what the need.
    I'm very, very disappointed!

Much more flexibility with ON1 - so if you will not launch a "Luminar 5", I will have to leave...

Abhinav Bhatnagar

I still do not understand the bells and whistles about AI and naming the entire product as AI. 

When talking about the edits/sliders (whatever you call it), Luminar 4 also already had AI Enhance, AI Structure, AI Sky replacement, AI Augmented sky, AI Skin enhancer and AI Portrait enhancer. The only extra thing in Luminar AI is the AI composition, AI atmosphere and AI for face, skin and body , mostly separated from AI portrait enhancer in Luminar 4. 

Looks have now become Templates and yes while it does suggest which template to use and when you choose a template, the sliders also have adjusted according to the template. But frankly I rarely use any Templates. Most of the in-built templates make the photos looks really weird and I really don't like the end result from most of them on my landscape photos and I end up editing myself and then since Luminar AI has lesser features than Luminar 4, I go back to it. May be they will add Layers next year.

The initial videos were really very misleading. It looked like it would suggest how you can change mood of the photo, suggest various various skies etc to the photos. But it does nothing. Even the skies provided are all exactly same as in Luminar 4. Of course we gotta pay more and buy a Luminar X membership or can add our custom skies. I was expecting that it can suggest to add reflections etc to photos, or to change skies,  or to add rain/sun/fog/objects ..but nothing. 

I am still surprised why is this product named as AI when almost all of those AI functionalities were also in Luminar 4 as well and overall it had more functionalities than this. Yes the UI is neat and better and in that also as Michael mentioned the export options are fake.

The irony is that the tool which is supposed to be faster takes such a long time to start. As someone who has been loyal since the first luminar, i have all skylum products but this has been my biggest disappointment. May be they are also going the Apple Iphone way and will release very few features in a new product and hold off on some and sell a new software every year. Perhaps, I should wait for a few years before spending money on the latest software model .

To be honest I've wasted a lot of time on this program and an update and now I can't really be bothered any more. It takes too long to load, is gluggy and slow, menus don't work and it's juvenile in it's applications. I thought I had problems with photoshop and PSE, but both pale into insignificance when compared to this. It's frankly rubbish aimed at folk with more money than sense who are happy to buy add-on after add-on. I bought one lot of templates which similarly were a waste of money. I'll still use Luminar 4 for some things, but this will be relegated to the back of the computer. I suspect I'll delete it.

Matthew Stough

Throw me into the group of Luminar and Aurora users since they were MacPhun (and some of the excellent specialized tools they made back then) as having played with the 7 day trial (now expired) Lumina AI to come away with the conclusion it's not worth even the discounted (19% for 1-seat, 25% for 2-seat) price.  (First of all, like subscriptions, I find this 1-,2-seat crap just slimy...you could always put your software on the home and office machine, or home/office machine and laptop...that's just workflow and crappy to make the distinction nowadays.  For Heaven's Sake, you introduced your "Membership"...grab money that way).  Anyway, I can't see paying the "loyal" or "upgrade" price of $60 or $74 for Luminar AI...it simply is not worth it.  With all the re-direction this company makes (basically, annually), who would even buy into that Membership thing?  Luminar 4, Luminar Flex (godsend from the CEO a few years ago!), and Aurora HDR 2019 are enough.  I don't mind spending a few more minutes thinking about and tweaking a photo to get it just right, instead of the "Borg" saving me time with its "artificial intelligence" (where some of it is already in Luminar 4).  Why not Luminar 5 with a sub-$50 upgrade price for "loyal" users, a $79 price for new users, and a free upgrade to your $59/yr "Members."  And, lastly, catalogs?  Remember when Luminar "X" would replace the demise of Aperture for DAM/editing/metadata???

Thanks for offering but no thanks.  I'm watching the crew at Affinity making phenomenal progress on their suite, each at $49 with several significant X.x.x upgrades for free.

Please sign in to leave a comment.