Same issue here.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Comment actions Permalink
    Robert McQuinn

Same issue here. Roughly 3 minutes to launch the standalone app. Unbelievable! It's starting to look like us early 
    "adopters" are going to be the beta testers for this. I'm VERY disappointed. 

And it's not my MAC configuration either. I have no problem running PS, LRC, Topaz all at the same time. Luminar4 launches like a dream as a plug-in still. So it has to be this specific app.

System: MAC OSX Mojave 10.14.6 (I don't like Catalina),27" 2017 iMac, 3.8GHz Core i5, 64GB RAM 2400MHz DDR4 (Yep that's right, twice what Apple offers) Radeon Pro 580 8GB Graphics card.

Brad Slama

Wow. I wish that I had your iMac, Robert. If it's slow on that, it's already time for an update. And, I won't upgrade to Catalina either as it won't allow me to run my CS6 Adobe products (yes, I'm boycotting Adobe's subscription lunacy; sorry, got off-topic).

Tom Hunt

As a follow-up, tried this again when home after work tonight.  Uninstalled, reinstalled.  Then took about 5-6 minutes to launch Luminar AI the first time, but then subsequent launches are as quick as any other program (i.e. Capture One, Luminar 4, Topaz, etc).  Seems like perhaps Luminar AI had a little one-time initialization & housekeeping to attend to on first launch, but all is good here after that.  Hope same for everyone else having this issue.  Still, would have been nice for Skylum to give a little warning about this... we've all got enough anxiety these days, no?  :)

Jim Garten

Before every luach we are promised it will be faster. It's always been my main complaint.

I'm still experiencing delays switching between images, zooming in and out. I thought this catalog system would be better its still not up to par with Lightroom, or Capture One!

I would prefer a delay importing images, as it creates previews. Than have to deal with it on the fly as I'm trying to edit. Every time i switch between images having the edits greyed out, or zooming in and out, and having to wait gets annoying very fast.

Not to mention Luminar was and still is the only photo program I use that makes my iMac fans go crazy.

As you can see my system is no slouch, if I'm having these issues I can't imagine what it's like on slower machines. Unexceptable!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

SSD

Brad Slama

Tom... Thanks for the reinstalling tip. I didn't keep my .dmg installer after I installed it the first time. I wonder if I can download it again and try what you did.  ??

Brad Slama

Well, so far I've reinstalled Luminar AI three times. Each "new" launch takes 51 seconds. Not in the least bit normal. I keep checking for an update.

Wilma van Oorschot

Same problem here, hope there's un update coming soon

Gyurza S

I think this is usually the case with every new piece of software, I am sure there will be updates to address these issues...

It takes a long time to load the app....(about 45 seconds) Lightroom and PS launch under 10 on my computer.

Once you load a photo, it takes forever to refresh after zooming in and zooming out....

Windows 10 Pro ( W Latest Updates)

Intel i5 9600K 3.7GHz

32GB Ballistic Ram

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB

Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2280 1TB

Jim Garten

Gyurza, new to Skylum? lol

They have been making these promises for years. Every release they claim it will be faster. Its not. Don't hold your breath waiting for an update. Unless you mean a new release next year you have to pay for.

Search the forum for my post about the catalog, I believe that is what really hinders the speed of Luminar.

Brad Slama

Gyurza... Luminar 4 responds the same way when zooming in and out. I received a reply from Skylum Support asking how long it takes to start up (51 secs), how many images I have in my catalog, are they on an internal or external hard drive?...etc.  I've only put FOUR photos (none RAW) into AI to test it prior to giving it access to my photo folders. It's certainly not my (our) computers. One moderator said that their team is aware of the slow start up times for those using Mojave on the Mac platform but, that obviously doesn't apply to you - a Windows user. Maybe in another week or so we'll have an update.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello everyone,

We are terribly sorry to hear you experienced issues with performance speed. Of course, we do our best to speed up the app with each new update. While Luminar AI shows nice results on some computers, on other ones there might be slower performance.

As Brad Slama mentioned, we are working on the problem, which leads to slow launch on Mojave Mac computers. As for other OSs, there might be several aspects which influence the speed (amount of images, their location and format). Nevertheless, we will be optimizing the app speed with each update and do our best to produce better results, so everyone can use Luminar AI without any troubles. Please, stay tuned. I'm sure we will manage to improve this.

Yaggi Boom

Surely this was tested on Mojave? "On other ones there MIGHT be slower performances." Oh dear.

Jim Garten

The responses now and for YEARS from Skylum have been laughable, they always say the same things. (search the forum for luminar 3 nd 4 slowness) As if they are surprised this is happening. In the last 4-5 years I've been using Luminar I've had 2 very fast computers, many OS, it didn't matter. It can't handle folders with too many images, because the catalog is TERRIBLE. I load 1800 images into Luminar, and the catalog is under 1MB, lol

Skylum makes promises they can't keep, then each year expect you to pay for tiny upgrades, while still promising more.

Brad Slama

I'm going to cool my heels and give Skylum some grace. I looked up what I paid for AI back in September and it was a whopping $59.00. I just now looked up what Lightroom would cost one to "subscribe": $9.99/month or, approximately $120/year. I suck at math but, I can figure this one out - for myself anyway. If you're a professional photographer who makes bank on your art, Lightroom is probably the way to go; write off the expense. For hobbyists like myself, I'm good with Luminar 4 and AI. If I can avoid giving Adobe any additional $$, it's a win-win for me. I'm in no way discounting anyone's right to express frustration as I enjoy reading the posts and learning from them yet, I really think an eventually update will address many of the issues.

Lee Verdon

I have the same issue with loading time. So far it has taken over 10mins and counting to open up.

This is unacceptable for me as a professional photographer. Our time is precious Skylum, you're wasting my time with this hyped up software!

I'm using a 15inch MacBook Pro Retina on macOS Mojave.

2.5 GHz Intel i7.
    16GB RAM.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB.

Disappointing start, not happy at all.

James Connolly

Using Mojave 10.14.6 and waiting minutes for Luminar AI to launch. Then processing a [non-raw] image is another minute. AI makes Luminar 4 look absolutely speedy. And I haven't even used a library. I've been adding one photo at a time.

While I'd love to support Luminar development, it seems pointless to pay for software that doesn't run. Let's be clear: if you have to wait 4 minutes to get to the point where you can work on an image, the software isn't running. It's one step above vapourware.

Should we hold out hope that it might become usable or ask for a refund now and wait for them to announce the “brand new, never seen before, all new features, Luminar AI 2.0" in September which will, of course, require a new license despite already having paid for the development of Luminar 4, and AI?

Thoughts?  Is it too late to ask for a refund?  I really like to support independent Mac developers (heck, I bought the 3 Affinity apps despite only using 2 of them)…

Robert McQuinn

Don't hold out hope! Contact Skylum and ask for a refund. I'm done with Luminar. With PS21 I can do everything that Luminar promises. And it works quickly :)

Dave Jones

I am having the same problem with loading up - about ten minutes.  However, to be fair, I am not a computer geek, and has a Pentium processor and 4mb RAM, which I think is not quite powerful enough.

Nevertheless, once launched, I am happy with the results - except that when I use erase, it seems to pick up bits of the photo that do not remotely resemble the area surrounding the erased area!

Yaggi Boom

Wow, I hope you mean 4Gb of RAM? I was using an iMac with 24Gb of RAM and it was painfully slow, but with, 4Gb.....I can see why its taking 10 minutes to load. If its 4Mb as you say, what computer is it you have and how fast is the processor?

Dave Jones

Sorry, got that wrong.  8Gb RAM not 4mb!!

Yaggi Boom

Okay, with 4Mb it would have been an overnight job :D Well 8Gb isn't too shabby, disk space and processor speed will increase the time, especially if its a slow HDD as well. With my very fast machine it was till taking  an unacceptable time to load, and then to process, I gave up and requested a refund. Luminar 4 was giving me great results so I will wait now until I see others praising Ai consistently. Even then, there will for me be a lack of trust in the product. 
    The erase function was never much to write home about but you can use the clone and stamp function to see if that improves the results. Good luck.

Dave Jones

Yaggi Boom,  Thanks for taking the time to help.  My computer is SDD, but the processor is Pentium, which I believe is not as good as i5, which us what Skylum recommend.  

To be honest, I bought Luminar ai as I have been using LR/PS, but it is a bit of a waste of money as   I use only   use LR most of the time, but find PS very complicated and usually only use it when I want to use the clone/stamp.

I have been pleased with Luminar ai in the few days I have had it (apart from the time it takes to load up) and for the number of times I use the eraser, I could live with that.

I had been looking at upgrading to an i5 computer with 8Gb, but from what I have been seeing here from people with much more powerful computers, that would not make much difference, so I would probably be spending my money for no improvement.

Bob Watson

Like so many others, I have the latest version of Luminar AI on a fully updated windows 10 machine. Luminar is so very slow and sluggish, I would not use it if I hadnt paid for it. It runs much like I would expect of free bloat ware not a professional level program. This has been going on for each version since released. After reading the posts and community forums, it is obvious that it is not my computer.  Running with 16GB RAM on a 2TB partitioned SSD drive. Catalogue is on the SSD drive. Please fix this very annoying issue. It is so painfully slow, one almost has to schedule working on a photo to make sure you have time to complete your edits.  

Aaaaaand, did they fix it?
    After 6 month?
    Of course not.

Bob Watson

I do not think they know how to fix the performance issues. So bad, I hardly use LuminarAI anymore. I do use Luminar 4. Would like to get to know AI better as I think it has potential. It is obvious to me from reading these and other comments, the program was not market ready and the company’s business model is to use the paying customers as beta testers. Sad state of affairs. Woukd not surprise me to see AI off the market soon if they the performance issues continue.

Austin Miller

Hello Bob and Member,

Our tech department is working around the clock to fix the performance issue.

We will do our best to do this as soon as possible!

Bob Watson

Glad to hear it because AI offers lots of promise. I suspect the tech department doesn’t know the answer since the program has been out for quite a while with little to no improvement. I fully understand the intricacies of software development and the problem may be “buried” so deep in code it will take a long time, if ever,nto fix it. I am just wondering what he program was released and sold as a ready to go piece of software with the issues as they are. I know it had to be noticed by the developers so it appears to be a rush to market issue. Good luck and hope it is worked out sooner rather than later.  Thanks for the update.

Please sign in to leave a comment.