Can't Open Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

125 comments

Dan Dunnum

I got an Email from Skylum today. It said, "If you are receiving this email you are one of 10,000 emails that we have received." The funny part was they spun this as a good thing and said they would get to every one as soon as they could,  I don't know about you but I feel MUCH better now... LOL

Comment actions Permalink
    Bruno Pinto

I'll let them have a.good Christmas now, and to all you. Next year, hope luminar ai Will work, or I think I will ask refund. I don't think I have to do any changes on my computer, as it is all working good, including luminar 4, that was a episode to get it to work. I remember I changed some 127.0.0.1 somewhere and then luminar 4 worked. Not remember what file was that.

Jesús García
    Dave Wallin-Eddy try this idea of Paul-Andre Belle-Isle:

"For anyone having a problem to install like me, I was able this morning to install it!! I dragged the installation file to my c:\ before installing. "

Uninstall first.

Arlan Witbeck

I am having the same issue. It installed with no errors. I even followed the instructions of uninstalling and run CCleaner reboot and install in administrator mode. Still did not work. I then followed the suggestion to make sure that .net,  vcredist_x64.exe and so on are installed and up to date. I have a laptop with these specs:

i7   OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home    Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
    System Model     HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX
    System Type     x64-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 8.47 GB
      The Luminar-AI still will not run.

Dan Dunnum

Well I have given up.  I got my refund this weekend. I was quite surprised; it was the quickest response I have had since the 11th of December.  You know it is easy to get caught up in this process, but realistically it is the wrong thing to do. This program should be stable enough to run on a PC or Mac that can run Luminar 4, LR&PS, or Capture1. 

Making all the mod to our PCs with no improvement just means  this program was not ready for prime time. I did this kind of work for a living. We added options, expanding the flexibility of the program, every 2 months. We had junk like this happen 2 or 3 times a year, We did not release the update until we resolved the issue... no matter how much I needed that option to increase the bill of material.  

This has been an unpleasant experience.  I really hate that I was not able yo get this program. I really was looking forward to it,  Maybe in a year or two I will give it a try.

daren nenortas

Just wanted to pass on how i found a bizarre way to log in.  Like all of you, i was able to install the program, however when it came time to enter my email and password my screen would not allow me to enter any information.  Don't ask me how i figured this out, though what worked for me was from the login screen, I clicked on Luminar AI in the top left and on the drop down clicked on "account" and then "contact Skylum".  This opened a browser window.  I then went back to the login screen and maximized the program to full screen.  I typed my email on the email line, though nothing would show that my entry was showing.  After I typed my email, i minimized the screen, then maximized and the typed email was now there.  I did this for each line including clicking on the sign in button, and it worked.  I know it sounds weird, but i'm in the software and it works.  Hope that helps someone.

Bob

As a satisfied Luminar 4 customer, like many people I pre-ordered Luminar AI a while ago. I even participated in the recent Luminar Live event.

However I experienced this same problem on the day of release and reported it via the standard Skylum support mechanism. Until I encountered this community, I had no idea how pervasive the problem is.

I have had a couple of email exchanges with Skylum support personnel. All of their recommendations were the same as many of you have already received - C++, .NET, Windows 10 updates, ccleaner (which I will absolutely never run on my computer), etc. I was just instructed today to completely remove my NVIDIA graphics adapter driver and install the latest version, which was already installed.

I would just point out that the application image Luminar AI.exe actually does run when started - at least on my Windows 10 computer.

However after a few seconds it experiences a catastrophic software fault and abruptly terminates. This gives the impression that Luminar AI never "starts."

A description of the termination fault is found in the Windows application error log, which can be viewed with Event Viewer. I have given this information to Skylum support. I am not sure why they have been unable to debug the problem.

The faulting module, ucrtbase.dll, (which appears to be a Windows component that is probably used by C++), does have a history of causing application crashes. This is often the result of calling it with incorrect parameters.

For those of you who might be interested, the error details appear below.

Just like most of you, I am extremely frustrated and disappointed by what appears to be a not-fully-user-tested, not-ready-for-prime-time rollout of this product. I have already consumed hours acting upon Skylum's resolution recommendations - with absolutely no positive outcomes.

In all of the years that I have been using Windows-based software applications, this is the first time that I have experienced this type of failure.

I worked in the information technology sector for 45 years, and would have been let go on the spot for similar customer-facing product quality issues - particularly with an initial release. To me this gives the impression of being a bit unprofessional, and can't be very good for Skylum's reputation.

In the end I would still like to use the Luminar AI features. So I am going to try to be patient for the time being and not ask for my money back - at least for now. I do hope and trust that Skylum with figure this out and make a functional and stable release available very soon.

----------------

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: Luminar AI.exe, version: 1.0.0.7348, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x43cbc11d

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000007287e

Faulting process id: 0x32bc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6d5689e2da9ab

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar AI\Luminar AI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: 2d9fa4f4-5e74-465c-8a24-66086e9ff24d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting

Fault bucket 1452422121125553141, type 5

Event Name: BEX64

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Luminar AI.exe

P2: 1.0.0.7348

P3: 5dedc13b

P4: ucrtbase.dll

P5: 10.0.19041.546

P6: 43cbc11d

P7: 000000000007287e

P8: c0000409

P9: 0000000000000007

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER642F.tmp.dmp

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER697F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER69BF.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER69CD.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6A3B.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Luminar AI.exe_192c18acc13aa7ef7233fc9947c5090d947ef1_3f8b2ac0_e957772d-2dcb-4a0b-ae4e-8155b29b5526

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 2d9fa4f4-5e74-465c-8a24-66086e9ff24d

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: 0e065f592ff923df04280a39519ba3f5

Cab Guid: 0

Elena O'Brien

I am so sorry to hear that the issues persist, but I can assure you that our support team is on it and we are doing our best to troubleshoot any issues you face.

Ray Alstrom

I've added my two cents worth several times on this forum. I'm not faulting tech support, because they have been responsive, but unable to solve my (our) issue with "uctbase.dll" fault when attempting to launch AI. Like several of us here, I'm an IT professional. In fact, I retired 34 years in the field. Admittedly, I'm on the hardware side, not programming, but I do understand many aspects of coding interacting with hardware. I had a very recent issue with Anthropics release of Portrait Pro 21. It wouldn't launch after install, throwing an obscure .dll error. Their tech support release an updated iteration of their install and fixed my problem withing 48 hours. With so many reports of this "uctbase.dll" error upon launch, I find it difficult to believe that Skylum can't reproduce it and find a solution or, at least, a work-around. Believe me, I've tried every suggestion Skylum has posted! I'm currently post-processing several hundred wedding pictures - using Luminar 4. I sure wish I could be doing them in Luminar AI. *sigh*

Sharjeel Khan

In my case, it is the same kind of error in the Windows Event Viewer, but the .dll file is different. I get an "APP CRASH" error, and the faulty file is "KERNELBASE.dll".

They asked me to delete the "Luminar AI" folder in the %APPDATA% folder in the last email exchange, but that hasn't fixed the issue.

Dan Dunnum

Folks this development team needs to get some file management in place and quit throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.  This will take longer to resolve the situation, but it should result in a build or patch that resolves the issue for everyone, or you could well be in the same place next update.

I have experienced this same thing in the development phases on the software projects I ran. As deadlines loomed mistakes were made and patches didn't until we helped a few of the programmers that it file management was important, and it was better to let my deadlines slip than send out junk.   

Bob

Here is the answer that I finally received from Skylum:

----

Please accept our apologies for the delayed reply. While our normal standard of service is to reply in 24 hours or less, it currently takes about a week to get back to our customers due to a high volume of support requests.

I've double-checked your hardware specs and it looks like your computer is not compatible with Luminar AI.

...it doesn't support an instruction set SSE 4.2 that's essential for the operation of the software. It seems to be the root of the issue here. 

Note that it's required to have at least an Intel Core i5 issued after 2011-2012. 

There are several solutions in this case:

Solution 1. Hardware upgrade.

All the latest software puts increasingly high requirements for the hardware configuration of your computer. If you want to enjoy the latest and the most powerful software packages, a hardware upgrade might be in order.

You can find the complete list of our tech requirements here: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/technical-requirements 

Solution 2. Another device. 

Do you by any chance have another device that would fully meet our requirements? If so, please try to install Luminar there.

Solution 3. Request a refund.

Our users are our most important priority, so, if you'd rather prefer this option, just let us know, and we'll issue a refund at your earliest convenience.

Please let us know your decision. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

---

So it appears that a CPU must be capable of running the latest streaming SIMD extentions (SSE 4.2) instruction set in order for Luminar AI to work.

You can determine the technical capabilities of your CPU, including implemented instruction sets, by downloading, installing, and running CPU-Z.

https://www.cpuid.com/  

Virustotal reports this to be malware free.

Maybe this requirement is impacting you - or maybe you are having another problem.

But unfortunately, as my CPU runs SSE 1, 2, and 3, it looks like I am out of luck, based upon what Skylum has stated.

Ray Alstrom

Bob,

Thanks for the post. It's exactly the problem I've encountered. My AMD processor, which is an A6-3620 only reads as high as SSE-4A. It simply can't recognized SS-4.2. I suppose Skylum could have been accommodating and coded for legacy processors, but I'm not sure AI would perform the way they envisioned. I'm a retired IT guy, so I'm not going to bash Skylum because during my career I've told plenty of customers their computers were old and needed to upgrade. I guess it's my turn to listen to my own advice. I can't say I'm going to run right out and do so, but I know it's on the horizon and in the meantime I'll make do with Luminar 4.

Giovanni Farina

I had the same issue of Luminar AI not starting up. I tried everything I could think about it and finally found a solution. Reading through the comments here I understand that there are different types of problems, some even hardware related so this method may not work for everybody, but I guess it's worth trying.

All I did was to do a full uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro, removing all the detected folders and registries correlated with Luminar AI, by the way, I never saw a program installing so many registry entries, more than 800, after the uninstall it's done, navigate to "C:\Users\[YOURUSERACCOUNT]\AppData\Roaming\Skylum", the easiest way to navigate there is to type %appdata% in the windows search box bottom left, and remove any folders that are named Luminar AI, as far as I can tell, the one including a version number is used during the installation process, the one simply called Luminar AI, contains files. After doing that I re-installed and it worked straight away.

Hope it can help somebody.

GINGER MURRAY

Hey All! I FINALLY got LuminarAI to work for me!!! I will try my best to explain how I did it. First, I followed the instructions to uninstall LuminarAI and used CCleaner to remove the registry. Then I went to C:\Users\[YOURUSERACCOUNT]\AppData\Roaming" and located LuminarAI. On top of that I went to "Local Disk C"  (the disk drive you installed LuminarAI) and in the search box (top right corner) type in "Luminar" to find any remaining folders because sometimes even after uninstalling it doesn't remove all the folders. When I did this search I found a file that was a LuminarAI crash log. Within that file, it said this...

AcrobatNotificationClient.exe

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ReaderNotificationClient_1.0.4.0_x86__e1rzdqpraam7r\AcrobatNotificationClient.exe
    Creation Time: 1/25/2021 3:00:39 PM
    Problem: Stopped working

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
    Package Full Name: ReaderNotificationClient_1.0.4.0_x86__e1rzdqpraam7r
    Application Name: praid:App
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 5b98af46
    Fault Module Name: combase.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.746
    Fault Module Timestamp: 2f680839
    Exception Code: 800704c6
    Exception Offset: 00084202

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 465a490c2b4a09eadea1f4f60a74377d (2207314629962774397)

I googled the "Acrobatnotifcationclient" and learned just to disable adobe acrobat update in services. 

Then I googled " moappcrash" and followed this instruction down below. 

In the search bar, type cmd.
    Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.
    Type SFC /scannow and press the Enter key.

Re-enter Command Prompt as Administrator and run these:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Even if you don't have this particular crashlog/error, I would suggest doing these steps because it will fix some corrupted files as it had for my computer.

After all that, I reinstalled LuminarAI and it opened instantly!! 

I hope this helps!!

Brett Ward

After seeing what people have gone through to get this working, I'm glad I gave up and moved on.  I did give it a few weeks and tried a bunch of things that Skylum told me to do.  Too bad.  AI looked nice.

Ray Alstrom

#Brett Ward I share your sentiment. I'm a huge fan of Luminar 4. I couldn't wait to get my hands on Luminar AI. Alas, my processor doesn't meet minimum requirements and I tried every trick in the book, but AI just won't run. Huge disappointment. Can't afford to run out and replace my computer with one spec'd out to run AI. Had to cut my losses and move on.

Alexander Mihaylov

Same problem with me... I just can't start it. Such a big disappointment!

Margaret Bright

Hi Alexander,

Please get in touch with our support team so that they could investigate what may be causing this issue. You can get in touch with them at https://skylum.com/support.

Alexander Mihaylov

Hi Margaret Bright

I have submit a request few days ago. I'm waiting for a proper response. 

Tomasz Wesolowski

Hi, just pay for it few days ago, contact support but I was ignore, was told days ago at FB my messages never been receive so have to re sent, and was told someone be with me shortly but...... my problem start with save a file not working, have to close app and open , save....then app start switching off itself when was editing pics, and now can't open .....see this problem in last moths and nobody find solution ? 

Victoria Grace

HI Tomasz Wesolowski, I've checked our support inbox and I can see that we've contacted you twice but never received a response. The emails must have landed into your spam folder. We've just sent you another email, please, check your inbox. Thanks in advance.

Autumn Hackney

I have uninstalled Both Luminar4 and LuminarAI today hoping a new updated would fix the problem of programs not opening.  However, same problem persists.  Opening screen shows up then it just shuts down. Using Windows 10 on a newer laptop with appraopraite hardware. My Aurora HDR still owrks but that is it.

Autumn Hackney

Ray Alstrom, I have an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-855OU CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz with 32 GB RAM.

Barry Schwartz

I was unable to open Luminar AI on my desktop of Laptop, both of which met the needed specs,  The application would open for about 2 seconds and then close.  I saw there was a version 3 update, and hoped some of the bugs had been worked out, but I could not update from within the software since it would not stay open long enough.  So I logged on and downloaded the new version 3, and it appears to work now on both computers.  I will provide updates, as sometimes the problems take a few days to make the software unusable.  But try loading the new version (3) and I hope you all have the good luck I have had with it

Ray Alstrom

Autumn Hackney your specs far exceed the minimum requirements. The success in getting Luminar AI to run seems to be correctly uninstalling the version that's not running using an uninstaller like Revo and then running a registry cleaner like CCleaner - at least that's what the Luminar support people say. Uninstalling Luminar 4 won't help since it's installed in a separate folder and doesn't share any .dll files. Does/did Luminar 4 run on your laptop?

Margaret Bright

Hi Autumn Hackney,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will help you get this issue resolved.

Please kindly provide our team with the error logs:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your support request.

This would help us determine the reason for the app's behavior and advise on further steps.

Loki D. Wolf

What worked for me was resetting the host file in the etc folder. Because not only would the software not install, their website wouldn't even load properly (see image below)! 
    I contacted customer service and one of the responses (which was in 24hrs) was to do just that. After I reset that file, everything worked proper. I hadn't seen that as a solution here.
    And though I'm posting this months later, I hope it helps others out there. Because it was the single thing that was stopping everything for me.

I went from this:

to this:

Again, hope this helps some out there dealing with installations problems. 

Cheers!
    Link to reset "hosts" file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default 

Please sign in to leave a comment.