Can't Open Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

125 comments

Elena Blum

Hi ,

Ensure that you have all the components that are essential for the operation of our software:

In case the steps above didn't help, please contact us  https://skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ryan Watts

Ok, I finally fixed this crash on open issue on mac. 

Not sure if this solution works on PC. 

Basically the CPU is spiking when its trying to update the catalog. and crashes the entire application. 

For me in my Home Directory / Pictures you'll find the Luminar AI Catalog, delete or backup that file then re-open and it should ask you to create a new catalog. 

Once you create the new catalog simply add the files back to that directory and all should be good. 

Allen Winiski

With all of all having the problem of not being able to start AI after downloading I find it very hard to believe that Skylum is not able to reproduce the problem.  Looks to me like they are don't really care about us.  I am really upset by their lack of urgency.   This is getting to the point where I wonder is this whole AI release is fraudulent.  Do something dammit

b olin

I am very interested in purchasing Luminar AI..  BUT if it doesn't run on so many machines then it would be a waste of my money to think that it would run on mine even though mine exceeds your required specs.  It seems that this has been a problem for quite some time.  AND it seems that either you, the developer doesn't care or just can't find and fix the problems. Not a good representation of your company.  This is all over the photo editing community of the internet and many people are watching.  Please fix it.  Keep us informed..  a lot of people are watching and waiting.

Allen Winiski

Welcome to the ever growing list of dissatisfied users

Ray Alström

Today is official launch day. To me it's insult to injury day. Five days ago I was an early release candidate and promptly downloaded and installed LuminarAI. It wouldn't open. Skylum advisors on this forum said to make sure all C++ redistributables were installed. Check. Then make sure .NET is installed. Check. Then a supposed fix was posted so I uninstalled, downloaded and re-installed. Still won't open. I opened a support ticked with Skylum and received an automated email reply that my ticket was received and I'll receive a response promptly. That was three days ago. No response. Today is official launch day and more users are reporting that LuminarAI won't open. Supposedly, Skylum released yet another iteration that fixes the issue. I just uninstalled again, downloaded and reinstalled. My copy STILL won't run or open. I'm reading through photography forums to which I belong and sadly, Skylum's reputation is taking a big hit over this issue.

Dan Dunnum

This reminds me of a project that I worked on before I was forced to retire due to health issues.  There were about 5 programmers and they all worked on a VM, and they managed "managed" the project using a tool called Carousel.   We met 3 times a week.  I was the guy that had final approval and also broke the program...  I hate two phrases.  "We have a new build" and "It works on my machine",  

This is Déjà vu all over again.  Seems someone needs to get a handle on this...

Dan Dunnum

Helena Carter, I have reached out. I got one reply.  I did as directed and found no change or any reply to the last note that I sent, including the the pdf of my system. 

I stumbled across this fix and it actually worked quite well. I think I went through these steps a couple times and yep, worked finally. Open Luminar as stand alone then I followed this steps:

1. 1 Make sure Lightroom is not running. If the app was running, reboot your Mac before proceeding. 
    2. In the top-bar menu click Luminarᴬᴵ > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Lightroom (If it says install, click and it will toggle to uninstall)
    4. Reboot your Mac and launch Luminarᴬᴵ.
    5. Click Luminarᴬᴵ > Install Plugins.
    6. Click Install next to Lightroom.

You may be prompted to enter your Mac user password at some point, please do so.

If this doesn't help, please, reach out via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a more effective way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sharjeel Khan

I've tried what Margaret Bright suggested to Martin Lewis. I've tried what Dan Dunnum suggested. I've tried the following what the support team suggested in the email:

Hi Sharjeel,

Thanks for reaching us about this.

Please ensure the following:

If there are any updates for your Windows operating system, install them. Check this article if you need help with that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Ensure that you have all the components that are essential for the operation of our software:

In case the steps above didn't help, could you please provide us with .NET Runtime logs too?

1. Reproduce the crash.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to this email"

Nothing has worked so far.

At this point, I am beyond frustrated. This is ridiculous now.

Dan Dunnum

I surrendered today.  I did this kind of work before I was disabled, and my teams knew if the programs didn't work we couldn't sell product.

For me photography and post-processing is supposed to be fun.  This IS NOT fun.  Looking for a refund and movin' on.

Dan Dunnum

I got an Email from Skylum today. It said, "If you are receiving this email you are one of 10,000 emails that we have received." The funny part was they spun this as a good thing and said they would get to every one as soon as they could,  I don't know about you but I feel MUCH better now... LOL

Arlan Witbeck

I am having the same issue. It installed with no errors. I even followed the instructions of uninstalling and run CCleaner reboot and install in administrator mode. Still did not work. I then followed the suggestion to make sure that .net,  vcredist_x64.exe and so on are installed and up to date. I have a laptop with these specs:

i7   OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home    Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
    System Model     HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX
    System Type     x64-based PC
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 8.47 GB
      The Luminar-AI still will not run.

Bob

As a satisfied Luminar 4 customer, like many people I pre-ordered Luminar AI a while ago. I even participated in the recent Luminar Live event.

However I experienced this same problem on the day of release and reported it via the standard Skylum support mechanism. Until I encountered this community, I had no idea how pervasive the problem is.

I have had a couple of email exchanges with Skylum support personnel. All of their recommendations were the same as many of you have already received - C++, .NET, Windows 10 updates, ccleaner (which I will absolutely never run on my computer), etc. I was just instructed today to completely remove my NVIDIA graphics adapter driver and install the latest version, which was already installed.

I would just point out that the application image Luminar AI.exe actually does run when started - at least on my Windows 10 computer.

However after a few seconds it experiences a catastrophic software fault and abruptly terminates. This gives the impression that Luminar AI never "starts."

A description of the termination fault is found in the Windows application error log, which can be viewed with Event Viewer. I have given this information to Skylum support. I am not sure why they have been unable to debug the problem.

The faulting module, ucrtbase.dll, (which appears to be a Windows component that is probably used by C++), does have a history of causing application crashes. This is often the result of calling it with incorrect parameters.

For those of you who might be interested, the error details appear below.

Just like most of you, I am extremely frustrated and disappointed by what appears to be a not-fully-user-tested, not-ready-for-prime-time rollout of this product. I have already consumed hours acting upon Skylum's resolution recommendations - with absolutely no positive outcomes.

In all of the years that I have been using Windows-based software applications, this is the first time that I have experienced this type of failure.

I worked in the information technology sector for 45 years, and would have been let go on the spot for similar customer-facing product quality issues - particularly with an initial release. To me this gives the impression of being a bit unprofessional, and can't be very good for Skylum's reputation.

In the end I would still like to use the Luminar AI features. So I am going to try to be patient for the time being and not ask for my money back - at least for now. I do hope and trust that Skylum with figure this out and make a functional and stable release available very soon.

----------------

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: Luminar AI.exe, version: 1.0.0.7348, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x43cbc11d

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000007287e

Faulting process id: 0x32bc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6d5689e2da9ab

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar AI\Luminar AI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: 2d9fa4f4-5e74-465c-8a24-66086e9ff24d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting

Fault bucket 1452422121125553141, type 5

Event Name: BEX64

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Luminar AI.exe

P2: 1.0.0.7348

P3: 5dedc13b

P4: ucrtbase.dll

P5: 10.0.19041.546

P6: 43cbc11d

P7: 000000000007287e

P8: c0000409

P9: 0000000000000007

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER642F.tmp.dmp

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER697F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER69BF.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER69CD.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6A3B.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Luminar AI.exe_192c18acc13aa7ef7233fc9947c5090d947ef1_3f8b2ac0_e957772d-2dcb-4a0b-ae4e-8155b29b5526

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 2d9fa4f4-5e74-465c-8a24-66086e9ff24d

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: 0e065f592ff923df04280a39519ba3f5

Cab Guid: 0

Dan Dunnum

Folks this development team needs to get some file management in place and quit throwing pasta at the wall to see what sticks.  This will take longer to resolve the situation, but it should result in a build or patch that resolves the issue for everyone, or you could well be in the same place next update.

I have experienced this same thing in the development phases on the software projects I ran. As deadlines loomed mistakes were made and patches didn't until we helped a few of the programmers that it file management was important, and it was better to let my deadlines slip than send out junk.   

Bob

Here is the answer that I finally received from Skylum:

----

Please accept our apologies for the delayed reply. While our normal standard of service is to reply in 24 hours or less, it currently takes about a week to get back to our customers due to a high volume of support requests.

I've double-checked your hardware specs and it looks like your computer is not compatible with Luminar AI.

...it doesn't support an instruction set SSE 4.2 that's essential for the operation of the software. It seems to be the root of the issue here. 

Note that it's required to have at least an Intel Core i5 issued after 2011-2012. 

There are several solutions in this case:

Solution 1. Hardware upgrade.

All the latest software puts increasingly high requirements for the hardware configuration of your computer. If you want to enjoy the latest and the most powerful software packages, a hardware upgrade might be in order.

You can find the complete list of our tech requirements here: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/technical-requirements 

Solution 2. Another device. 

Do you by any chance have another device that would fully meet our requirements? If so, please try to install Luminar there.

Solution 3. Request a refund.

Our users are our most important priority, so, if you'd rather prefer this option, just let us know, and we'll issue a refund at your earliest convenience.

Please let us know your decision. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

---

So it appears that a CPU must be capable of running the latest streaming SIMD extentions (SSE 4.2) instruction set in order for Luminar AI to work.

You can determine the technical capabilities of your CPU, including implemented instruction sets, by downloading, installing, and running CPU-Z.

https://www.cpuid.com/  

Virustotal reports this to be malware free.

Maybe this requirement is impacting you - or maybe you are having another problem.

But unfortunately, as my CPU runs SSE 1, 2, and 3, it looks like I am out of luck, based upon what Skylum has stated.

Ray Alstrom

Bob,

Thanks for the post. It's exactly the problem I've encountered. My AMD processor, which is an A6-3620 only reads as high as SSE-4A. It simply can't recognized SS-4.2. I suppose Skylum could have been accommodating and coded for legacy processors, but I'm not sure AI would perform the way they envisioned. I'm a retired IT guy, so I'm not going to bash Skylum because during my career I've told plenty of customers their computers were old and needed to upgrade. I guess it's my turn to listen to my own advice. I can't say I'm going to run right out and do so, but I know it's on the horizon and in the meantime I'll make do with Luminar 4.

Donna Hahne

I have been trying to open Laminar for 3 days now, I don't know how many time l have download it. I just wish l could get my money back and Never Never Never again would l touch Skylum

Roy Blackwell

I just received a Luminar AI update on my Windows 10 machine: from version 1.0.0 (7326) to version 1.0.0 (7338). Can't say what has changed. I did not have the can't start problem.

Paul-Andre Belle-Isle

Ok ok... Skylum did a good job in enhancing the performance. It's at least 50% faster than before. I'm starting to get happy now. It's actually fast enough now. Luminar 4 was always too slow and I was losing a lot of time but now it's acceptable. Good job on that Skylum.

Fausto Abril

Hey and for everybody else, do what Jesus Garcia explained it worked for me PERFECT! just drag your downloaded file or LuminarAISetup or exe. to your main drive or C drive and from there execute or open your LuminarAI file and will open and install the program in your PC....ohhh I am a happy camper, Thx again Jesus...me salvaste el dia, andaba arrancandome los pelos de la cabeza lol, thx man!

JESUS GARCIA

Thanks to Paul-Andre Belle-Isle. He is the author of the great idea. Not me. 

Mark Altmeyer

Unfortunately it's still not starting and 100 percent CPU.

Paul-Andre Belle-Isle

Scott Baker You are right! 🤣

Mickael Ahouansou

Yes, the problem I was describing came from an installation made today. Kirk I unpacked the program and reinstalled it after your suggestion. But I have exactly the same problem as described in my post above. Launching luminar AI, but I can't do anything about it. Windows familly 64 bits, nividia 1080Ti, core i7 8700K, 32 Gigas of ram

Ray Alström

I don't think moving LuminarAISetup.exe to the root directory solved anyone's issue. For those of you saying it solved your issue I'm fairly certain what happened was a coincidence. Moving to C:\ root and running the install simply rain the latest Skylum install with the latest iteration that Skylum posted. Each time you run install, the routine installs all the files from the cloud instead of the traditional fully packed download file on your machine's hard drive.That's why downloading LuminarAISetup.exe is several seconds but running the install is several minutes. 

In any event. The latest iteration released earlier today as a "fix" managed to get LuminarAI working on some machines, but not all. Mine is one of the non-working machines. It installs, but it won't run. It tries to run, it shows up in the Task Manager, the CPU max's out at 100 followed by disappearing from Task Manager and the CPU returning to a normal load.

Windows App log:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 12/12/2020 7:32:33 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Ray-HP-Pavilion
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Luminar AI.exe, version: 1.0.0.7348, time stamp: 0x5dedc13b
    Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x43cbc11d
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000007287e
    Faulting process id: 0x19d8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d6d0ef7a2f7f46
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar AI\Luminar AI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
    Report Id: 0c7f9a7b-c807-4614-834d-54f68408cdfc
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-12-13T01:32:33.8993987Z" />
    <EventRecordID>49732</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Ray-HP-Pavilion</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Luminar AI.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.7348</Data>
    <Data>5dedc13b</Data>
    <Data>ucrtbase.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.19041.546</Data>
    <Data>43cbc11d</Data>
    <Data>c0000409</Data>
    <Data>000000000007287e</Data>
    <Data>19d8</Data>
    <Data>01d6d0ef7a2f7f46</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar AI\Luminar AI.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll</Data>
    <Data>0c7f9a7b-c807-4614-834d-54f68408cdfc</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Mark Altmeyer

Still no luck after ensuring all components were installed. Email sent.

Mark Altmeyer

Made no difference on Windows for me. Thanks for sharing what worked for you.

Dan Dunnum

Agatha Winter, when was the link updated, and where can we find it?  Can we use the link in our software list.  

Pamela Nathe

I sent my computer specs in to Skylum a few days ago, but still have not heard anything and I still cannot open Luminar AI. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? This is more than frustrating. I see that the program has now officially launched, so I must assume that there has been some progress, but if there is I haven't been notified. Is anyone else still unable to open the program?

Please sign in to leave a comment.