Future of Luminar

Answered

Comments

13 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi Aleks,

I will be happy to address your concerns.

First of all, let me please assure you that you won't lose your Luminar 4 catalog after the official support has ended. Your license doesn't have an expiration date, so you will be able to use the app for many years as long as it is compatible with your computer.

Besides, we will still be available on a case-by-case basis for consultation/support by request after the official support period has ended.

Indeed, it's not possible to migrate your Luminar 4 catalog to Luminar AI since the latter one is a brand-new application. However, you will still be able to work with your catalog in Luminar 4.

If there's anything we can help you with, we are always happy to help at skylum.com/support.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Moss

You know, it doesn't really matter if your support for Luminar 4 goes away because Skylum is never of any help anyway. You should be totally ashamed of yourselves for selling a product that never works right for tons of people. I truly hope that your AI product works better. Better than ending your Luminar 4 support you should FIX IT! That would be the right thing to do.

Aleks Huson

Hi Helga,

I probably should have done a better job of expressing my concerns, because your response didn't really address them.

I understand that Luminar 4 won't stop working at the end of support.

The problem is that I now face a decision:-

a) spend the next year investing my time in building my catalogue in Luminar 4 and end up stuck in an unsupported product with no migration path.

b) abandon Luminar 4 that I just recently paid for, and pay again to move to Luminar AI.

Contemporary offerings are much more than $20 for an upgrade, even with a more reasonable support roadmap and the ability to actually transition to the new version.

I see you've pulled the familiar "but Luminar AI is not a new version, it's a new product!" card, but just because you rewrote it from the ground up doesn't make it a *different* product. It may do more than v4, but it's occupying the same place in your product offering and should be treated as such.

The fact it doesn't support catalogue transfer is either just laziness or because you're trying to rush the product out the door to capitalize on seasonal sales.

Either way, setting a 12-month EOL on v4 and offering only $20 discount on transition shows a level of contempt for customers that is hard to ignore.

It's a shame... Luminar looked like an exciting product, however, there is just too much risk of lock-in involved.

I don't want to be held hostage again.

Agatha Winter

Hi Aleks,

I'll be glad to answer you.

Every 12-24 months we offer the upgrades (or new software). The next versions of the app or new software require purchasing a separate license for them. However, the purchase of the new product is absolutely optional. Your current license will not expire, you can keep using it as long as your computer supports it. 

As for the discount, please note that Luminar AI is a new piece of software built with AI at its core. It's a completely different application from Luminar 4. We offer a new approach to editing your images, powered by Artificial Intelligence. 

Also, you've mentioned that you've purchased Luminar 4 recently. Our users' peace of mind is our top priority. Therefore, If you’d like to get a refund of Luminar 4 and switch to Luminar AI, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and our support team will be happy to help.

David Moss

To all customer service reps:

Say what you want but the facts are this: Your customers have been complaining about many performance issues ever since Luminar 4 was released. So far there has been no effort on the part of Skylum to effectively fix things. THERE WAS NEVER A SERIOUS EFFORT!!! If there was Luminar 4 would be running like lightening on everyone's computer and this forum would be filled with compliments instead of complaints.

GOT IT?!

Darryl Brooks

Yeah, I fell for the "80% OFF. No, we’re not kidding" email also. That's when I unsubscribed to Skylum's annoying marketing emails. They never delivered on promises made on Luminar 3 and they haven't delivered on Luminar 4. I will be shocked if Luminar AI 2.0 actually gets released when promised.

David Moss

You're still not listening, are you?

Jeff Kipfmueller

Well, I feel completely duped. I bought Luminar 4 (my first Skylum product) thinking I would be purchasing a license for a product that would continue to be supported, upgraded, and developed for years to come. I was confident that this was a long-term product, as there had already been 4 generations of the software. Wow, was I wrong. Suddenly, I find out that Luminar 4 is a dead-end product, with support for one year — AND the product that is replacing Luminar 4 is not compatible and cannot import catalogs (I have well over 200,000 photos). This is NOT good customer service, nor does it promote or encourage me to spend a single additional dollar with Skylum — ever. So, Skylum, shame on you for treating customers like this. You will lose customers, like me, who would have supported you financially for many years to come. I am already researching programs to replace Luminar 4 — it will be uninstalled shortly. 

David Moss

Unfortunately Skylum has become a second rate company that's only concerned with taking people's money only to provide a second rate product with zero interest in fixing the program's problems. Shame on you, Skylum, for treating your customers like crazy. I for one will never purchase another product from you. Not only that I will discourage anyone who asks me about editing programs from buying from you. You simply and absolutely do not deserve the business.

David Moss

Unfortunately Skylum has become a second rate company that's only concerned with taking people's money only to provide a second rate product with zero interest in fixing the program's problems. Shame on you, Skylum, for treating your customers like crap. I for one will never purchase another product from you. Not only that I will discourage anyone who asks me about editing programs from buying from you. You simply and absolutely do not deserve the business.

Ondrej Pok

Sadly, what the previous commenters have written seems like the reality.

Luminar 3 - plenty of bugs and abandoned.

Luminar 4 - performance improvements promissed but I haven't noticed any improvement. Bug I reported almost a year ago still there.

I understand that to pay for the development, you need money inflow, but wouldn't it be wiser to keep developing one product and offer a more reasonable update fee for loyal customers ? Instead it seems Skylum is trying to lure in new customers who don't know their marketing methods yet, and just doesn't care about existing customers :(

Howard Tikka

So I finally "upgraded" Luminar AI. I'm discovering that was a mistake. While it's faster, the fact that it no longer has layers, does not utilize all of the presets, skies and looks from Luminar 4 and honestly seems to be a completely different way of working with images, is a complete and utter disappointment. And to know now that support for Luminar 4 is going away, is disappointing. Here's the thing when you are marketing to photographers or image retouchers, they work with a lot of images, over several years. And when they commit to your system of working, they expect it to continue to work with legacy images and settings. When you completely break that chain, you piss them off. They put their trust and livelihood in your hands. It's great that you want the company to go in a different direction, but your Luminar 3 and 4 users ARE your customers. THEY are the ones you should be listening to if you want to survive, thrive and grow. I'm going to give it a couple of more weeks of working with Luminar AI, but so far, I am not a fan. 

Helena Carter

Hi Howard Tikka,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear about your disappointment. We always listen to our customer's feedback, thus, I have forwarded it to the team in charge.

Still, if you feel like LuminarAI is not for you, we're ready to proceed with a refund.

Please sign in to leave a comment.