Luminar X Membership - Included Looks

Answered

Comments

36 comments

• Official comment
    Kate Williams

Hi Michael,

Once a month starting from the date of you signing up, your skies/looks will appear on your Luminar X Membership account page (a new look and sky pack each month). You will be able to download them from there: https://skylum.com/account/membership 

If some items from the marketplace are marked as a part of your membership but are not listed in your account yet, it means that they will be available in one of the following batches of content. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

Log into your account to download your membership assets: https://skylum.com/luminar. You do not get them from the Marketplace.

Michael Teel

Hmmm, there are only 2 assets in my membership account if you visit the Market Place there are a lot more than 2 assets with the badge Included in Luminar X Membership.

Michael Fousie

Very Confusing! 
    So in the meantime I can't edit my images with assets I might need, eg Chasing Storms, until they appear in my membership account? That's disappointing.

Margaret Bright

Hi Michael,

The free content becomes available in parts so that you would have more time to play around with the items that become available for you. But I will forward your feedback to the respective department to see if there's something we can do in the future to make it convenient for everyone.

Richard Thrasher

I agree with what has been said above. If it's included with the membership, it should be immediately available. I think it's silly for Luminar to decide how much time I need to "play around" with an item before I'm ready for the next. Particularly, as I'm editing images, I'm pretty confident I'll know when I need a storm sky vs a sunset sky. Please do pass along that feedback. Thank you.

Michael Rogala

I was just going to purchase a membership until I read this thread! Thank you for saving me money! That’s at least ONE customer you lost with this deception!

Charles Sage

I agree.

ALL membership benefits that are currently on hand should be made available to members immediately. Future benefits should be made available as they are produced. I overlooked this "parsing" policy when I signed up and provided my payment info. It's more like purchasing a bundle deal and only being able to access its parts when the seller chooses to release them. I may not be inclined to renew as quickly. I could almost understand it if the membership were billed month-to-month, but when paid up-front annually it's not right. Simply put: when I make a purchase, I expect to be able to use the product.

Understand please, I'm stopping short of labeling this as deception, I just think it's a poor marketing strategy that doesn't foster long term confidence and loyalty.

Charles Sage

My first comments were a little on the soft side.

Bottom line: if this policy doesn't change, I won't renew my membership next year. I'll purchase new resources on an as needed basis.

Parker Harrington

this is indeed confusing and disappointing

Roy Blackwell

Charles Sage: "ALL membership benefits that are currently on hand should be made available to members immediately."

No, they should not ALL be made available immediately. I started my subscription in September so I have four sets of looks and skies available to me with another eight sets coming in the next eight months. So you join today, get the previous four months, plus the next twelve? It does not work like that. It would be nice if you had the option when joining to choose to get the previous four sets of assets, with only another eight months left in your subscription. That would be a fair option. Getting the previous four, plus the next twelve is not a fair option.

Charles Sage

Okay, it's not fair and not deceptive. It's a moot point at this stage for me as I'm no longer hungry for other people's art since I've learned how easy it is to create my own looks and skies. I do appreciate the head start and food for thought, tho.

I still think it's poor marketing as it's described as a membership rather than a subscription. To me, membership means one has access to all that the organization has to offer, no? Again, it's a moot point.

Floris de Vrijer

No, they should not ALL be made available immediately. I started my subscription in September so I have four sets of looks and skies available to me with another eight sets coming in the next eight months. So you join today, get the previous four months, plus the next twelve? It does not work like that. It would be nice if you had the option when joining to choose to get the previous four sets of assets, with only another eight months left in your subscription. That would be a fair option. Getting the previous four, plus the next twelve is not a fair option.

I am sorry Roy, but just because you (and others surely) started earlier would mean we (the newest subscribers) should wait, is sad. You normally get the assets as soon as they are released. And, to be honest, what are you paying for otherwise?

You're right that it's not deceptive. It says so on the website that the content is provided on a monthly basis. But I could never have imagined that that much money would leave me with this little value at this moment.

Marek Pajda

100% agree... this is indeed confusing and disappointing...  besides - it is stupid (not logical)... when I see the template that have a badge "Included with Luminar X Membership" I do believe I can download it immediately I am "the member"!!!

Roy! this is really stupid that you care more that I have not all your staff (looks & skies) instead that you have as many as possible...

Radoslaw Stefanczyk

I have just purchased the Luminar with membership hoping that the extra fee gives me access to the content which is a normal practice. This should be available  regardless  of the caveats .

Instead of charging 99usd I should be charged just for the fraction of the subscription. 2 assets are not worth the price  and I am very much disappointed, especially considering that the software is actually pretty good and its a sneaky subscription rules that let the whole thing down.

How can I get the refund? I would  like to cancel the subscription immediately as it is useless at the moment.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Radoslaw,

The membership provides you with monthly deliveries of assets. However, if it doesn't meet your needs, please reach out to us at support@skylum.com or www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help you.

Floris de Vrijer

To be honest, 2 months further now and I really love the tutorial of Elia Locardi on landscape photography. It's a joy to watch. The new packs of skies and looks are nice, but depend on your personal preference. Once you have them, you will never lose them. I think that is nice too.

I still understand the frustration, but I once you don't expect everything at once, you can accept it for what it is and see more value in it.

Bill Raich

I also feel cheated.  How can I cancel my subscription of Luminar X

Elena Blum

Hi Bill Raich,

Please contact our support team and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

OK, so I'm another person who was VERY confused by the set of the subscription system. In my experience, when you get a subscription it starts with whatever the current month is ... not backtrack to when the subscription service started, which is what it sounds like happens here. 

Furthermore, it is a bit deceptive to label something as "Included with Luminar X Membership," when it's NOT actually included with the membership at the moment of purchase. By seeing all of these assets as "Included with Luminar X Membership," it actually makes the membership look like it immediately comes with a range of assets and not just two during the first month. If anything, it needs a label like - "Members get access to this in the 3rd month of their membership." 

At the same time, this is a really awkward way to control a membership. Newer members aren't actually getting access to the newer assets this way. From what I can gather, I'm now getting access to assets others have had access to for six or more months. I've had a range of annual subscriptions over the years, and this is the first time I've ever run into one setup like this.I may be misunderstanding what's going on here, but this is based on the conversation I've read in this forum.

Clearly, there is enough confusion that your marketing team needs to go back to the drawing board on how it is presenting this information. Skylum, as an organization, is needlessly making people upset with its unintentionally deceptive advertising. I don't think anyone was trying to be deceptive, but it's clearly been a problem for the last number of months on a regular basis.

Jason

William Anderson

Very confusing, misleading and disappointing. This strategy of a time based asset release is ridiculous. I was very excited when using the free trial, my fault for not reading how the membership assets worked before purchasing. However I’m clearly not the only one who is disappointed by this. Please fix asap. Otherwise will most definitely not be renewing or recommend this to anyone at all. Great software, VERY poor marketing. 

Tobias Neumann

It is very disappointing, that you can see items in the shop, where it is stated, that they are included in the "X Membership", but in reality they are not! They will become included in a few months. The argument that the users should get the time to explore the other things until that date is insane, because the reason is pretty clear: users should buy that before it becomes free. It is not a userfriendly thing, it is a turnover maximization, which is completely not customer oriented.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Tobias Neumann,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I will make sure to forward this to a relevant team so we can improve. Thank you for your contribution.

Marco Marrocco

Hi Helga, sorry for interjecting.

Not a subscriber, nor I plan to do so, but back in another thread I think a few points were made on how to turn the overall disappointment some are experiencing into something more constructive, and that possibly bears repeating:

1) Change the wording on the membership benefits. This is a must.

You can't tell people that something is included and then they find out it  eventually will unlock in a few months. Even if that's not your intention, that sounds misleading and at worst kind of sleazy. I understand the reasoning why you can't have people access all the assets from day one, but that needs to be stated clearly at sign up. No fine print, no endless maze of support pages / community posts to browse.

This is what I mean: Get access to 10 exclusive new Luminar Looks each month. 

It is technically true, as in, each month they are getting a pack of looks they didn't have before (unless they happen to unlock something they had already bought from the marketplace, but I hope you have means to ensure this does not happen.) The problem is: with this exact wording, every subscription program I have been part of means that they are releasing new content each month, and that becomes immediately available to subscribers. People have come to expect this thanks to Netflix etc., no matter how unrealistic it may sound when it comes to photo assets, so I can easily understand the disappointment when paid subscribers find out they are pretty much unlocking a tiny part of the preexisting marketplace content every month.

2) Not a solution, but it might lessen the disappointment: have subscribers choose what assets they want out of the available content. You have a very diverse range of things "included" with the subscription, but, let's face it, not everyone does portraits, or nature photography, or even likes doing sky replacement in the first place, so it would help it they could focus on getting the types of assets they need the most, as opposed to crossing their fingers and hoping the next update is not a set of tropical skies or planet overlays - which I have nothing against, mind you, but at the same time find of...very little use in my everyday workflow.

My 2 cents as usual, hope you'll find this reasonable enough.

Kindest regards,

--

Marco

Ajaya Kumar

When I visit the Market Place I see an instruction (Included with Luminar X Membership.) When I select  Buy the system wants to charge me. What does it means? Is it free for a Luminar X Member or it has to buy?

Bernhard Sackl

Same for me, I visited the Market Place and saw several items with the badge "included with Luminar X Membership". Then I subscribed and noticed minutes later that all these items are actually NOT included. This is nothing but cheating and I will cancel my membership immediately.

Gerome Bonner

All, I've been in sales/marketing for many years... I also feel this is at minimum "Sneaky Business, however I do feel mislead.  Companies know what they are doing when your market place shows $25-$39 for each sky that you like but then post "INCLUDED WITH LUMINAR X MEMBERSHIP".   Consumers see the obvious savings and purchase the annual membership instead.  I just purchased my membership 20-minutes ago and now I feel dooped.  The feedback is very, very consistent Skylum team.  Consumers have spoken... you really need to change it.  A simple fix like "Included with previous Luminar X Memberships.  Limited access for New memberships".  Its really not a money thing, people just don't like getting taken/mislead.  You can't use "fine print" as an excuse here.

Andre Kok

Thanks for this information I will definitely not join the x membership program

Ole Johan Aanestad

Unfortunately, I did a purchase of the X membership, but not being able to download them all as we want.
    tells me that I never will renew my membership.

Hopefully you take notice and make them all available.

Calling it a "membership" are wrong, ts more a subscription of "monthly" new templates etc..

If you not want change it you should consider a option of "downloading two+" of my choice in month , I am not interested in all, and want to choose.
    As its now.....it sucks!...its a fraud.

Margaret Bright

Hi Ole Johan Aanestad,

Once a month starting from the date of you signing up, a new pack of templates/looks and skies will appear on your Luminar X Membership account page. You will be able to download them from there: https://skylum.com/account/membership 

If some items from the marketplace are marked as a part of your membership but are not listed in your account yet, it means that they will be available in one of the following batches of content. 

The "Included with Luminar X Membership" label exists to prevent duplicate purchases (so that you don't buy an item that will be unlocked to you for free in the future).

If you need any assistance with the Membership, please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support. They will be happy to help! 

Please sign in to leave a comment.