Luminar 2018 , Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 not working with Big Sur OS

Answered

Comments

50 comments

Vasile Florian Lica

ok ... but what about the Luminar looks packages what i bought for Luminar 2018 ? Because there are my most important

Comment actions Permalink
    Margaret Bright

You can move them as well.

But firstly, please be advised that we've changed the logic of how the looks are applied in Luminar 4, as compared with Luminar 2018, and remodified the filters themselves. 
    Therefore, some of the preset components may get into the deprecated tab. Moreover, chances are that the results obtained with your Luminar 2018 presets may be a bit different in Luminar 4. 

If you want to move your custom Luminar 2018 Looks to Luminar 4:

1. Launch Luminar 2018.
    2. Click File > Show Presets Folder. 
    3. Copy .lmp files and save them somewhere where you can easily find them.
    4. Close Luminar 2018
    5. Launch Luminar 4.
    6. Click File > Show Luminar Looks Folder.
    7. Paste the .lmp files that you saved in Step 3 into the folder that you’ve opened in Step 6. 

If you'd like to transfer the installed Look Packs from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 4.

1. Make sure that both applications are closed. 
    2. In Finder, click Go -> Go to folder and paste the following line: ~/Library/Group Containers/DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar2018/Presets
    3. Copy the Look Packs you have installed in Luminar 2018 to the place where you can easily locate them.
    4. In Finder, click Go -> Go to folder and paste the following line: ~/Library/Group Containers/ RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminar4/Looks
    5. Copy the Look Packs from Step 3 to the folder you've opened in Step 4. 
    6. Launch Luminar 4. The installed Look packs should be available in your Looks Collection. 
    Vasile Florian Lica

Alright ... let the party begin ... with the Update for Big Sur OS. Thank you

AndyB

Good morning. Please can you be more specific as to when this update will come. Last week you were saying it would be within a week. Now we are a week further on and just a few hours ago one of your guys says again it will be within a week. But already a week has gone since you say that the first time. And if I'm being honest I expect a week from now we will be told "within a week". If it's going to be a month or six weeks please say so. Please be honest with us. Thank you.

Margaret Bright

The update is going to be released within just a couple of days. Thank you for bearing with us while we work on this.

I really appreciate your patience, as I understand how much of an inconvenience this must be for you.

Please stay tuned and check for updates!

Vasile Florian Lica

WELL THERE HE IS THE UPDATE !!!

Vasile Florian Lica

The Update for Big Sure is Finally here and is woking

David Martin

Where?

Margaret Bright

Yes, I am happy to inform you that the update is already available :)

Here's how to update Luminar:

1. Launch Luminar.
    2. Click Luminar 4 in the upper left corner of your screen.
    3. Click Check for Updates.

If you purchased Luminar from AppStore, launch AppStore and you should see the update for Luminar in the Updates tab (it might take some time for the update to become available in AppStore, so if you don't see one, please check back later).

Marco Marrocco

Okay, maybe this is worth a bump, because at times it's awkward to figure out what threads have been updated just from the post count.

From the Big Sur thread:

>We have some good news. Luminar Flex (and Luminar 3) will be updated to support macOS Big Sur too.

No ETA at this moment but at least it's comforting to know that the Skylum staff are listening; there's simply too many people still using L3 exclusively to drop it for good.

So, in short, thank you, I think you did the right thing.

--

Marco

Marcel Pietsch

Just found out that you actually can export images with Luminar 3 on Big Sur. You just cannot go through the regular File > Export dialog, instead click File > Open with > Photos, and Luminar starts exporting your images to the Mac Photos app.

Víctor M. Lázaro

Any news about when will be L3 updated?

Helga Rowles

Hi Victor,

We don't have a confirmed ETA for the update just yet.
    As soon as we have any news, we will let you know.

Tomas Miklovic

OK, and what about the Luminar 2018? You are not going to update it? Maybe you should offer to update to Luminar 4 for maybe 10 EUR, so I can do something. I hardly hit 100 edited pictures, which is not much even for personal use, don't you think? I have many other programs being updated and working under Big Sur. I do not want any speacial update, just to export files. Nothing else. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tomas,

Unfortunately since Luminar 2018 is a legacy application, it will not be updated for macOS Big Sur support. As a workaround, click on the 'Export' button, select 'Open in Photos' option, and export an edited photo that way: https://prnt.sc/vjf8fm 

Gerald Drescher

Marcel Pietsch thank you for your hint. it saved me over 2000 edited files I otherwise would have lost since Luminar 3 is always crashing on my new Mac. 

It still is crappy since after exporting you have to use the import function of photos and then export it out of photos to your dedicated picture directory. But still amazing to have a solution to backup edited files, but to keep using Luminar in the future it won't be a solution for me.

Víctor M. Lázaro

I think this is ridiculous, already the new product is ready, I received too much spam about the Luminar Ai and other products and you are not able to update L3 for using my Lifetime License of it with Big Sur...feeling cheated...

so again, how long do you think is going to last for having the update for L3? c'on it is a easy question, please, do not reply we don´t have a confirmed ETA, it is not serious!!!

Alex Garbisch

I’ve tried using Lu4 but it just doesn’t work for me. Trying to edit large numbers of photos individually quickly is nearly impossible. It takes several clicks just to switch between adjustments. Lu3 is perfect as far as layout and the ability to have a customized workspace that fits your editing style. I understand that it’s a “legacy app” (no matter how dumb I think that excuse is) but the fact that it is useless a year after purchase is not acceptable. Exporting to photos is not a satisfactory workaround for any professional user either. Working off a laptop on the go, I export to external storage. I also don’t want client photos going on with my personal photos.
    It would be an awesome gesture and a reason for me to purchase other Skylum software if you would just make the normal export feature functional in Big Sur. If you can’t do that simple thing then I’m done. I can’t be put in a position where I don’t know if my software will be working a year after purchase or I can discover that is suddenly unusable a week before a big job. That’s not going to work for you guys on a business level. I was so hopeful that Luminar would be an actual competitor to Lightroom, and for a while it was, but I guess it’s over. 😞

Alex Garbisch

>>>Angela Andrieux
    3 months ago
    Hi Tomas,

Unfortunately since Luminar 2018 is a legacy application, it will not be updated for macOS Big Sur support. As a workaround, click on the 'Export' button, select 'Open in Photos' option, and export an edited photo that way: https://prnt.sc/vjf8fm

^This isn’t an acceptable work around for any professional user. I work off of external storage going through large amounts of files. I’m not going to go in and transfer each photo from photos. Also, photos is where my personal photos live. I don’t want there to be any client photos in there. That’s like saying the workaround for your company credit card not working isn’t fixing the card it’s to just run all the transactions through your kids checking account. 🙄

Simon Hayward

I have Luminar 3, 2018, and Flex. None of them are working with Big Sur. Due to Luminar being dreadful, I don't use them often (there are a couple of filters I occasionally use). But now, they are all useless.

I've never recommended Skylum software to anyone, and now I'll be recommending people don't touch it with a barge pole!

Please sign in to leave a comment.