Luminar 2018 , Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 not working with Big Sur OS

Answered

Comments

50 comments

Marco Marrocco

Wanna hear the best part? Luminar 3, a software that was still being sold one year ago, has been demoted to 'legacy' and so won't be updated to work with Big Sur and/or the newer Mac models.

- Regardless of how many people are still using L3 if just because it has got features that have been removed in Luminar 4

- Also, regardless of how many new users have been relying on Luminar 3, since it was offered for free during last Spring's near-global lockdown.

Pretty much their workflow is now toast, unless they fork the money to upgrade to L4, which, incidentally, one year from now will also be EOL in favor of the new AI-gimmick-thing.

I hope at some point people will seriously start voting with their wallets.

Regards,

--

Marco

Comment actions Permalink
    Vasile Florian Lica

ok ... so legally they should return money for Luminar 3 at least

Marco Marrocco

I'll gladly take my 0.00 Euros back, then :)

No but seriously, Aurora HDR, formerly Aurora HDR 2019, is - hopefully - getting the Big Sur update in a few days, even though it was launched in mid-late 2018. I don't get why Luminar 3 does not qualify for the same, as a general-purpose editor it probably has an even larger userbase.

Regards,

--

Marco

Vasile Florian Lica

so actually we have to pay like for Lighroom .. it looks like NOT one time pay and use it forever ... we have to buy every year...

Wolfgang Jarcik

it is exactly the same, and then the programs usually do not work as they were promised and you wait forever for updates. When an update finally comes, there are new problems again ...

Marco Marrocco

Well...technically no, you don't have to: with a proper subscription model, you get cut off from operating the software the very moment your subscription expires.

With Luminar/Aurora, you can theoretically skip every subsequent update, either free or paid, and keep using what you paid for; then again things happen and a major OS update may end up cutting you off from even installing the software anyway. I feel Windows software is less prone to outright break compatibility.

So in short, I don't think they're being dishonest with their claim of "one time pay", it's just that software, be it applications, operating systems and all things in between, have become so exponentially complex that no one can guarantee in good faith everything will keep on running years from now.

My major complaint in this regards, is that I see some really arbitrary definition of what's 'legacy' software and what's not. Luminar 4 is their current flagship application, cutting off the generation before from compatibility updates is, IMHO, doing a major disservice to anyone who, for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to upgrade. And what's worse, I don't think it will push people towards L4/AI; most of them, judging from the threads in this very community, are just going to take their business elsewhere - I know I will as soon as Aurora formally turns to 'legacy' (i.e. abandonware) as well.

Just my 2 cents, regards,

--

Marco

Kirk Osborn

You'll be able to use the purchased software for many years to come as long as your computer meets all system requirements.

Purchasing our new software products is completely optional, but we always provide loyalty discounts for the current owners of our software products. We release compatibility updates for our applications within the discussed terms, but this doesn't mean that you can't use your purchased software beyond these terms.

You can always use your purchased software on systems that meet the system requirements of the product that you own. If you update your system to the version that is not listed in the system requirements of a legacy application, we can't guarantee that this application is going to work as expected, but we always do our best to find all possible workarounds and share them with you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Vasile Florian Lica

well ... i have Luminar 2018, 3 and 4 ... I have paid money for all of them , and normally they should do like that that all three will work with Big Sur OS

Marco Marrocco

Vasile Florian Lica

>no one can guarantee in good faith everything will keep on running years from now.

>You'll be able to use the purchased software for many years to come as long as your computer meets all system requirements.

Aaand there you have your official answer.

...I rest my case.

Oh, and the tentative release date for the Big Sur patch is apparently the end of next week.

Regards,

--

Marco

Vasile Florian Lica

end of next week ... for all the Luminar versions? because i have three versions and i use all three

Marco Marrocco

Eh, nope...Unless they change their mind, it's still just Luminar 4 and Aurora 2019.

Regards,

--

Marco

David Martin

Bit of a Groundhog Day again for Skylum customers? You get to "pre-order" and sub the development of next years software as well as fund fixing it when it comes out and then have the last years purchases cut off while they promise to fix those ..... a lot of frustration and 6 months use id you're lucky! I have the latest Luminar 4, Luminar Flex and Aurora HDR and none of them work on Big Sur. Need a bit of Artificial Intelligence in other departments please?

Marco Marrocco

David Martin

I have given them the benefit of the doubt, but at this point I believe they know quite well this is a scummy move. They wouldn't have locked the announcement thread otherwise, same with the infamous "we made a mistake" post.

Oh well, with Luminar 3 being officially abandoned and Aurora clearly on its way out as well, my interest in Skylum products has dropped to near-zero. I'll be hanging around the forums from time to time in case I can help out someone who has been facing the same issues I have, but other than that...

Not.Another.Dime.

And I hope I'm not the only one making this choice.

Regards,

--

Marco

Paul Drew

I've just updated my iMac to Big Sur and found that Luminar 4 was not working properly. All my images were blurred.

I fixed the problem by creating a new Catalogue and re-importing files and folders into Luminar 4. Problem solved. It would appear that libraries created under Catalina are the problem.

All fixed now! I hope this helps other Luminar users.

David Martin

And Skylum couldn't have worked this out during the Beta????

David Martin

Thanks Paul Drew ..... please someone buy him a case of beer .... and offer him a job as Head of Product Development at Skylum. Your fix seems to work just fine!

Vasile Florian Lica

By creating a new catalogue it doesn’t fix the problem. You can edit them but NOT to export the pictures edited

David Martin

Just checked .... yes .... confirm not able to EXPORT!

Vasile Florian Lica

yes .. they said that in the end of next week will be problem fixt. And i wish they will for all the Luminar versions

Vasile Florian Lica

until now I haven’t found a better alternative of Lightroom... but the world is not ending at Luminar ... there are some other options

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! The compatibility update for Luminar 4 will be released within a week. Also, Aurora HDR will be released shortly.

As for Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3, the apps will not be updated.

Vasile Florian Lica

will be not updated? hmm ... let me see . One year ago i bought Luminar 3 (for example) . So all the users of Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 will get the money back,right?

Anastasia Davis

Please note that Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 our legacy apps. 
    As for Luminar 2018 users, all users got a free upgrade to Luminar 3. Regarding Luminar 3, we supported, delivered updates and added a Search tool to the app a year after Luminar 4 release, as promised.

Vasile Florian Lica I can see that you recieved Luminar 3 upgrade free of charge since you had bought Luminar 2018 on May 8, 2018. 

Vasile Florian Lica

yes, you may not update it anymore, but you can’t let it after one year that is unuseful... to may not be able to use it at all .
    Luminar 2018 and 3 , apart that i’ve paid money for the software, i bought also PRESETS ... what CANNOT BE USED in Luminar 4 .... so that’s why i use also Luminar 2018 and 3
    PS: i’ve bought 3 software from you , and don’t make me regret it

David Martin

Or else? You won't fall for the same stunt next year?

Vasile Florian Lica

well I’m not gonna buy anymore a new software that I’m not gonna be able to use it properly next year

Austin Miller

Hello Vasile. Please note that Luminar 3 was released in 2018 and we delivered updates for it for two years. 

Could you please specify what looks are you not able to move to Luminar 4?

Vasile Florian Lica

For example i have in Luminar 2018 some look packs bought ... professional portaits where are some presets of BW ... very special, and not onky that.... many others . But what i am asking is that i am able to use Luminar 2018 and Luminar 3 ... i don’t need spacial updates for these two software.
    I don’t have to downgrade my OS back to Catalina to be able to use them

David Martin

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009933580/comments/360002428179

So it looks like Skylum customers should consider themselves fortunate to get a working copy for nearly two years? Thanks for the info Austin .... perhaps potential customers should be informed BEFORE they purchase the product?

Margaret Bright

Hi Vasile,

Please note that the looks from Luminar 3 can be transferred to Luminar 4.

If you want to move your custom Luminar 3 Looks to Luminar 4:

1. Launch Luminar 3.
    2. Click File > Show Luminar Looks Folder.
    3. Copy .lmp files and save them somewhere where you can easily find them.
    4. Close Luminar 3.
    5. Launch Luminar 4.
    6. Click File > Show Luminar Looks Folder.
    7. Paste the .lmp files that you saved in Step 3 into the folder that you’ve opened in Step 6. 

If you'd like to transfer the installed Look Packs from Luminar 3 to Luminar 4.

1. Make sure that both applications are closed. 
    2. In Finder, click Go -> Go to folder and paste the following line: ~/Library/Group Containers/DPA6233TPQ.com.macphun.luminar3/Looks
    3. Copy the Look Packs you have installed in Luminar 3 to the place where you can easily locate them.
    4. In Finder, click Go -> Go to folder and paste the following line: ~/Library/Group Containers/ RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminar4/Looks
    5. Copy the Look Packs from Step 3 to the folder you've opened in Step 4. 
    6. Launch Luminar 4. The installed Look packs should be available in your Looks Collection. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.