Luminar 4.3 compapability with macOS Big Sur

Answered

Comments

92 comments

John Tweddell

This has been known for months, don't understand why they need a "couple of days" surely someone knows about Big Sur golden version. Another example of Skylum thinking about new software and not caring about its existing products. Surely they realise that customers are starting to stampede away from this toxic corporate strategy of new software every year at almost full price even for existing users of the old one. 

Comment actions Permalink
    John Tweddell

Skylum have now admitted Luminar 4 is already a legacy product.

Spokesperson says “All OTHER legacy applications will not be updated for macOS Big Sur.” interesting - therefore Luminar 4 IS A LEGACY application already and anything more than a year old is now rubbished unless you don’t update OS

And closed the forum announcement for comments. Interesting!

Affinity have just released their Affinity Photo update for Big Sur and it’s state of the art - they have provided updates for years for no extra cost and alway deliver above expectation - now look at Luminar 4 - bug ridden, promised features still missing and now ignored by Skylum. If only Affinity had a DAM. Skylum- you have let your customers down, still no Big Sur update - you only plug a new different bit of “skyware” which I am sure will be ditched in a year for a new bit of junk. You should be ashamed of your corporate vision - it sucks!

Mikael Schultz

A few days just became a week... got a really bad feeling about this. You will get lots of angry users by doing this. These bugs should have been sorted out BEFORE the release of Big Sur. Apple release betas so software companies as yourself can find bugs in the software before the release date. I’m starting to get some really unprofessional vibes from Skylum with lots of angry feelings. You don’t want your customers to feel that, they will likely abandon Skylum. I truly hope that a week dosen’t become a month.......... Angry/sad/upset Mike

Mark Rosher

Oh, Anastasia, please! Are you telling this community that Apple did not share pre-release versions of Big Sur with you, like they did for all the other software houses? If not, why not. Did you upset them?

Antonino Puglisi

Photography is for me an hobby and I don't won't spend all my free time to solve technical issue (it is not the first time)

After these couple of tentatives (I bought Luminar 3 and 4), unfortunately, I'll come back to Adobe Software.

Jochem Herremans

Hi Anastiasia,

You know that you get developer betas? Or even the public betas ... These where released several months ago. I think that's time enough to fix the issues. 

Other companies like Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, On1, ... they got the release on time. 

I appreciate honesty, please don't tell us that you got the update on 12.11 and you where surprised that it didn't worked anymore.

Thank you for that Christopher, this is quite annoying, of all the apps I use on a regular basis, only Luminar is not confirmed at release, and this export issue first surfaced months ago.

If I would be a professional photographer who makes money with his work, this would be the point to go back to Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. 

For all others: There is a workaround. 

1. If you experience problems with editing photos: Turn off GPU hardware acceleration.

2. If you want to export your photos: Use 'open in photos.app' instead of the export feature. As far as I can see, the photos will be exported with all adjustmens that you made. In photos.app, drag the photos to your desktop, delete them in photos.app, convert your photos to small size jpegs, import them to photos or give them to your customers. @Skylum: there is only a problem with your folder selection wizard. The enumeration of options in one of the extra combo boxes seems to be buggy. This should be an easy fix. 

Of course, a responsible software company would be open with these workarounds. Skylum chose not to be that open.

Best

Jens 

Hi Mikael, many thanks for that. I'm going to start exploring alternatives as well, the Big Sur export issue is the straw that's about to break the camels back for me, having bought into Luminar 3, Luminar 4 and with Luminiar AI coming this is no cheaper than subscriptions which is what I was looking to get away from. For all the apps I use, Luminar 4 is the only one not Big Sur ready which shouts to me other developments have priority.

Chris Devillio

Forget about Luminar, as usual they seem to have no interest to deliver updates on time! Since a few months there are problems and no reaction at all from Skylum. My Adobe products work all properly on Big Sur. Sadly it's not the first time that Skylum takes too much time to bring updates. For me it's time to say goodbye and get back to the a much more stable product. 

Chris Devillio

No worries Anastasia, Lightroom and Photoshop were already up to date and ready to use 2 weeks before apple released MacOS Big Sur on 12th of November. Same like Portrait Pro and all Office Products I work with. Luminar is as usual the only software which isn't ready on time.

Craig Herrick

It really rather shocking that after foo f through this last year that Luminar is having this problem yet again. Great photo editing but lousy release management. And even worse customer relation management.

Christopher Fraulo

Raymond, users have been complaining about the export featured being broken since the initials Big Sur beta launched. That was months ago. No way they tested Big Sur and found no problems when tons of users told them the exact issues we had.

Craig Herrick

Every other piece of software works fine except Luminar... they had problems last year. I think being judge mental is justified. And I say this as a computer scientist as well as a photographer.

jo bekaert

i have the same problem as Mr. Armin Hadzic... 

"I've just updated Luminar to 4.3.2 (Big Sur) but when I load an image (any image) it gets a proclamation mark and after that everything is locked inside the software"

photos which are placed into the "wastebusket" are impossible to remove 

in "Aurora HDR 2019" i can edit photos but I can't export them... 

Gautam Sharma

Facing same issue. Have to complete some work, and now I am stalled :( :( Please release an update soon. Forced to move to other softwares.

Peter Schulz

I just installed the offical version of BigSur and Luminar 4 keeps crashing upon start. It looks like Luminar is trying to initialize the photo gallery but keeps crashing at approx. 35% of the initialization. It worked without problems before,

Gina Papp

Today I updated my Mac os  to  BigSur- and Luminar4 started to act funny.  Did not keep the applied changes to my image to develop also whenever I wanted to export, the app crashed, and keep crashing.. So was  a very disappointing experience. 

Until now it was working fine,but not any more..

Any solution?

(just to mention it : Affinity  got a compatible  WORKING update..  Makes me wonder...)

John Tweddell

Gina - you will see from the posts we are waiting for Skylum to bring out the update for this - until then you are out of luck I'm afraid

Winter Wolfgang

I hope they fix the problem very soon. If not,i think only stupid people buy Lumiar A1 if Luminar 4 make such bad trouble. 

Emmanuel Awemu

I am rethinking all of my investments purchasing software from Skylum. Whenever any OS updates become available, they never work to tweak any bugs that may ensue thus rendering us the users frustrated. I updated my Mac to Big Sur last night and since then Luminar has been crashing throughout. None of the workarounds worked for me. When will Skylum do something?

Suzanne Pask

I purchased Luminar 4 just months ago and I had been very happy with it until I installed Big Sur.  Now I am unable to edit any of my images.  I was working on one to enter into a competition so very disappointing.  I had put Aurora HDR on my wish list for Christmas but that isn't likely to work either which is disappointing.  This is very FRUSTRATING!  When will this be fixed?

David Martin

This repeats year after year ..... clearly Skylum is not interested in keeping customers just sucking in gullible customers with promises for next year and discarding last year's suckers.

John Tweddell

I think they were too busy putting a polish on Luminar AI and as a legacy products it’s very much on the back-burner. My surprise is they don’t seem to have realised the backlash - they will when they see how few of the suckers, sorry customers, have purchased the new annual version, sorry entirely new, annual edition.

Mark Rosher

I'm lazy with software and need a push to change my workflow. Apple eventually pushed me away from Aperture, and I chose Luminar over Photo. But I also use Affinity Photo... I think this might be my push to read the WorkBook that's sat on my shelf. I'm paid in for AI, but maybe it and Luminar 4 will be secondary apps rather than core workflow for me now. Shame. In truth Luminar, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, they've all worked well for me. But dumping me into an environment where I can't easily work at all is fairly unforgettable. Unforgivable? We'll see.

Paul Brannan

I thought I had found my photo editing software, but if this is the release management support we get, I will look elsewhere.  Is there any way to get a refund if we have already bought the AI upgrade?

David Martin

I thought much the same years ago and I have supported them through that time ..... sadly the last couple of years have been "Groundhog" days and they just don't seem to learn from it (or simply not interested as they have moved on to the next project?)

Last year customers appear to be of no interest. There are plenty of options out there and I certainly won't be sponsoring Luminar AI development in an unseen product when Skylum doesn't even bother to test last year on OSX11 betas ....

Gary Cosham

Could I also ask please please please can you update Luminar 4 to read EOS R5 cr3 files , I bought the camera four months ago and I’m still waiting to be able to import images into Luminar . Surely it doesn’t take four months to send out an update for CR3 . And no I will not convert to DNG files I should be able to import to Luminar without using another companies software , it’s a complete disgrace. G

Andrew Mercer

Sigh - every year it's the same. :(

Every OTHER software producer updated, tested, and released their updates for the new MacOS version months ago based on Apple's developer and beta version. Meanwhile SKYLUM have been twiddling their thumbs and get caught out.

Unless you sort out your development practices and improve customer service, don't expect me to be upgrading to Luminar AI. If Affinity release a Lightroom competitor or catalog plugin for Affinity Photo then your business model is toast.

Armin Hadzic

I've just updated Luminar to 4.3.2 (Big Sur) but when I load an image (any image) it gets a proclamation mark and after that everything is locked inside the software. Computer restart doesn't help with Luminar and this proclamation.

Please sign in to leave a comment.