Luminar 4.3 compapability with macOS Big Sur

Answered

Comments

92 comments

Anastasia Davis

Jaden Paber Hi! The compatibility update will be released within a week.

Comment actions Permalink
    Chris Devillio

Forget about Luminar, as usual they seem to have no interest to deliver updates on time! Since a few months there are problems and no reaction at all from Skylum. My Adobe products work all properly on Big Sur. Sadly it's not the first time that Skylum takes too much time to bring updates. For me it's time to say goodbye and get back to the a much more stable product. 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Chris! Please note that MacOS Big Sur was released on 12.11.2020. Today is 15.11.2020 (and it is Sunday). Thus, we had only one working day to release the compatibility update.  We want to test the update thoroughly to deliver to you. It will be out at the beginning of the week (maximum at the end of the week).

Mark Rosher

Oh, Anastasia, please! Are you telling this community that Apple did not share pre-release versions of Big Sur with you, like they did for all the other software houses? If not, why not. Did you upset them?

Chris Devillio

No worries Anastasia, Lightroom and Photoshop were already up to date and ready to use 2 weeks before apple released MacOS Big Sur on 12th of November. Same like Portrait Pro and all Office Products I work with. Luminar is as usual the only software which isn't ready on time.

John Tweddell

That is a joke Anastasia? Everyone else had their ready to go. Affinity released their Affinity Photo update for Big Sur and it’s state of the art - they have provided updates for years for no extra cost and alway deliver above expectation - now look at Luminar 4 - I realise you are a pr type and not a software engineer but even you must cringe at the Q&A you are using.  

Antonino Puglisi

Photography is for me an hobby and I don't won't spend all my free time to solve technical issue (it is not the first time)

After these couple of tentatives (I bought Luminar 3 and 4), unfortunately, I'll come back to Adobe Software.

Jochem Herremans

Hi Anastiasia,

You know that you get developer betas? Or even the public betas ... These where released several months ago. I think that's time enough to fix the issues. 

Other companies like Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, On1, ... they got the release on time. 

I appreciate honesty, please don't tell us that you got the update on 12.11 and you where surprised that it didn't worked anymore.

John Tweddell

I think they were too busy putting a polish on Luminar AI and as a legacy products it’s very much on the back-burner. My surprise is they don’t seem to have realised the backlash - they will when they see how few of the suckers, sorry customers, have purchased the new annual version, sorry entirely new, annual edition.

Mark Rosher

I'm lazy with software and need a push to change my workflow. Apple eventually pushed me away from Aperture, and I chose Luminar over Photo. But I also use Affinity Photo... I think this might be my push to read the WorkBook that's sat on my shelf. I'm paid in for AI, but maybe it and Luminar 4 will be secondary apps rather than core workflow for me now. Shame. In truth Luminar, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, they've all worked well for me. But dumping me into an environment where I can't easily work at all is fairly unforgettable. Unforgivable? We'll see.

Craig Herrick

It really rather shocking that after foo f through this last year that Luminar is having this problem yet again. Great photo editing but lousy release management. And even worse customer relation management.

Raymond Griffiths

I suppose it's possible that Skylum worked through the beta Big Sur and found no problems, and Apple made changes for the final release. Let's not be judgemental.

Christopher Fraulo

Raymond, users have been complaining about the export featured being broken since the initials Big Sur beta launched. That was months ago. No way they tested Big Sur and found no problems when tons of users told them the exact issues we had.

Raymond Griffiths

Then I withdraw my sympathy.

Craig Herrick

Every other piece of software works fine except Luminar... they had problems last year. I think being judge mental is justified. And I say this as a computer scientist as well as a photographer.

Paul Brannan

I thought I had found my photo editing software, but if this is the release management support we get, I will look elsewhere.  Is there any way to get a refund if we have already bought the AI upgrade?

David Martin

I thought much the same years ago and I have supported them through that time ..... sadly the last couple of years have been "Groundhog" days and they just don't seem to learn from it (or simply not interested as they have moved on to the next project?)

Last year customers appear to be of no interest. There are plenty of options out there and I certainly won't be sponsoring Luminar AI development in an unseen product when Skylum doesn't even bother to test last year on OSX11 betas ....

Gary Cosham

Could I also ask please please please can you update Luminar 4 to read EOS R5 cr3 files , I bought the camera four months ago and I’m still waiting to be able to import images into Luminar . Surely it doesn’t take four months to send out an update for CR3 . And no I will not convert to DNG files I should be able to import to Luminar without using another companies software , it’s a complete disgrace. G

Austin Miller

Hello all! I completely understand and feel your pain! We will make sure to release the update in the nearest time.

Peter Nennstiel
    What does in the near future. Weeks, months, year?

Harry Stuurman

I just realised all SkyLum software stopped working. SkyLum has had MONTHS to get their software updated but did not do anything?!

My Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR 2018 don't work anymore and I also have placed pre orders for Luminar AI but very worried now if anything will ever work again!

Very very disappointed!

Austin Miller

Hello Peter! Luminar 4 will receive an update within a week!

Hello Harry! Could you please specify what happens when you are trying to launch Luminar 4 or Aurora HDR 2018?

Harry Stuurman

@Austin Starting the software works alright - but unable to export images. Luminar 4 just crashes and Aurora HDR does not do anything when I click export.

For now I am quickly going back to Adobe to keep my business running.

Sam Friedman

For me Luminar 4 starts ok and I can open a photo but cannot edit or export so useless. 

Andrew Mercer

Sigh - every year it's the same. :(

Every OTHER software producer updated, tested, and released their updates for the new MacOS version months ago based on Apple's developer and beta version. Meanwhile SKYLUM have been twiddling their thumbs and get caught out.

Unless you sort out your development practices and improve customer service, don't expect me to be upgrading to Luminar AI. If Affinity release a Lightroom competitor or catalog plugin for Affinity Photo then your business model is toast.

John Tweddell

Before I update to Big Sur - does the new version of Luminar work OK??

@John not yet. Some reports of workarounds sometimes working when using Luminar as a plug in, but Skylum have posted a Big Sur compatible version will be available within a week. I’m not upgrading yet, I haven’t got the time to fight with workarounds.

Jerry Nowicki

No difference running new version in Big Sur.  Still cannot edit or export. 

John Tweddell

I will wait then. The update refers to the export problem. But I also had the issue that Luminar would not load the original only it’s own jpeg. I had to go back to Catalan - one bitten! 

John Tweddell

This is a joke. Time to jump ship I think once I export my versions.

Please sign in to leave a comment.