Luminar 4.3 compapability with macOS Big Sur

Answered

Comments

92 comments

Sam Friedman

Im wondering same too, not going to stay with Luminar if no solution soon.

Comment actions Permalink
    Peter Marcaurelle

Reviewing all my software before upgrade, therefor have the same question about Luminar 4.

Christopher Fraulo

I have the most recent release of Big Sur and Luminar 4.3 export still crashes. I assume they will send an update for the app first. I would wait if I were you. From what I've read, they are a little slow when it comes to updating. Not happy, as I was in the middle of editing some wedding photos. Jumped over to Capture One/Lightroom. They both worked flawlessly for me on Big Sur. 

Thank you for that Christopher, this is quite annoying, of all the apps I use on a regular basis, only Luminar is not confirmed at release, and this export issue first surfaced months ago.

Gautam Sharma

Facing same issue. Have to complete some work, and now I am stalled :( :( Please release an update soon. Forced to move to other softwares.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello everyone,

Please, note that we have not released a Big Sur compatible version of Luminar 4 yet, but we are definitely working on this. Stay tuned and bear with us. Thank you!

Mikael Schultz

Same problem here, I can't do my work until this is fixed. Really shouldn't need to downgrade to previous macOS version for this. When will your update be rolled out? Are we talking hours, days, weeks or months? Best regards.

If I would be a professional photographer who makes money with his work, this would be the point to go back to Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop. 

For all others: There is a workaround. 

1. If you experience problems with editing photos: Turn off GPU hardware acceleration.

2. If you want to export your photos: Use 'open in photos.app' instead of the export feature. As far as I can see, the photos will be exported with all adjustmens that you made. In photos.app, drag the photos to your desktop, delete them in photos.app, convert your photos to small size jpegs, import them to photos or give them to your customers. @Skylum: there is only a problem with your folder selection wizard. The enumeration of options in one of the extra combo boxes seems to be buggy. This should be an easy fix. 

Of course, a responsible software company would be open with these workarounds. Skylum chose not to be that open.

Best

Jens 

Peter Schulz

I just installed the offical version of BigSur and Luminar 4 keeps crashing upon start. It looks like Luminar is trying to initialize the photo gallery but keeps crashing at approx. 35% of the initialization. It worked without problems before,

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Mikael Schultz,

It will take a couple of days to prepare the update for release. We will make sure to notify everyone by in-app notification about the new compatible version.

Please, accept our apologies for the caused inconvenience. Will do our best to fix ASAP. 

John Tweddell

This has been known for months, don't understand why they need a "couple of days" surely someone knows about Big Sur golden version. Another example of Skylum thinking about new software and not caring about its existing products. Surely they realise that customers are starting to stampede away from this toxic corporate strategy of new software every year at almost full price even for existing users of the old one. 

Gina Papp

Today I updated my Mac os  to  BigSur- and Luminar4 started to act funny.  Did not keep the applied changes to my image to develop also whenever I wanted to export, the app crashed, and keep crashing.. So was  a very disappointing experience. 

Until now it was working fine,but not any more..

Any solution?

(just to mention it : Affinity  got a compatible  WORKING update..  Makes me wonder...)

John Tweddell

Gina - you will see from the posts we are waiting for Skylum to bring out the update for this - until then you are out of luck I'm afraid

John Tweddell

Skylum have now admitted Luminar 4 is already a legacy product.

Spokesperson says “All OTHER legacy applications will not be updated for macOS Big Sur.” interesting - therefore Luminar 4 IS A LEGACY application already and anything more than a year old is now rubbished unless you don’t update OS

And closed the forum announcement for comments. Interesting!

Affinity have just released their Affinity Photo update for Big Sur and it’s state of the art - they have provided updates for years for no extra cost and alway deliver above expectation - now look at Luminar 4 - bug ridden, promised features still missing and now ignored by Skylum. If only Affinity had a DAM. Skylum- you have let your customers down, still no Big Sur update - you only plug a new different bit of “skyware” which I am sure will be ditched in a year for a new bit of junk. You should be ashamed of your corporate vision - it sucks!

jo bekaert

yesterday November 13th there was an upgrade to macOS Big Sur 11.0.1. After the upgrade was made I opened Luminar4 and Aurora HDR 2019. I have no problems with Aurora HDR. I can open Luminar4 but I cannot open the pictures. I have still the link and activation-code for luminar4... can I still use the link and code for reinstallation ? do I have to delete the previous version of Luminar before reinstallation ?? hopefully you understand my problem and can help me. sorry for bad English.. I am from Belgium ( flemish).. If somebody could help in the dutch-language even better, otherwise in English..

So if MacOs Big Sur is not compatible with Luminar4 what does this mean ? can I no longer use Luminar 4 in the future, and the same question for LuminarAI for which I already paid several months ago ?? 

John Tweddell

Jo - as you will see from this thread there is still no working version of Luminar for Big Sur. we are waiting, hopefully they will wake up soon and give us the fix. Keep smiling 😃 

jo bekaert

John,

thank you ... 

Raymond Griffiths

Big Sur has been released officially in Europe. Luminar 4 no longer exporting. Very disappointing.

Mikael Schultz

Hi John, I found the article you refer to and it says that Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR 2019 will get a hot fix in the next few days that will fix the export problem. All other/older applications are considered legacy. For anyone interested: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009885339-macOS-Big-Sur-Known-Issues 

In the mean time I will try out ON1 Photo RAW 2021, which clearly states that macOS 11 is supported.

I hope the hot fix will come before I get too hooked by it and switch :)

Have a good one!

Hi Mikael, many thanks for that. I'm going to start exploring alternatives as well, the Big Sur export issue is the straw that's about to break the camels back for me, having bought into Luminar 3, Luminar 4 and with Luminiar AI coming this is no cheaper than subscriptions which is what I was looking to get away from. For all the apps I use, Luminar 4 is the only one not Big Sur ready which shouts to me other developments have priority.

Raymond Griffiths

I can confirm that ON1 2021 works fine with Big Sur.

Winter Wolfgang

I hope they fix the problem very soon. If not,i think only stupid people buy Lumiar A1 if Luminar 4 make such bad trouble. 

David Hamby

I'm a hobbyist who takes most photos with an iPhone 11 as greyhound silliness is my most popular subject. I keep my iPhone originals in Photos App but Sony Alpha 6300 originals in Luminar.

On Friday I moved to Big Sur, largely without incident. Saturday, I found Luminar 4 colicky. My normal work flow is to track down an image in Photos, Edit with Luminar, work on the TIFF in Luminar, and Done, Done to save the updated image in Photos. 

On Saturday, things were slow. Remembering that Camera One and Lightroom would re-do the OpenCL analysis when a new OS update came out, I noticed that Luminar 4 had not done so. I turned off the use GPU acceleration option in graphics and resolved slow TIFF importing and hung TIFF exporting issues (apparently). This may be the place to start the search for the Big Sur problem. 

Turning off use GPU directly option may be a workaround for those treading water until a fix. For what I was doing, performance was acceptable with the GPU option off. 

Happy hunting and check Luminar AI. I know it is a rewrite but ...

Emmanuel Awemu

I am rethinking all of my investments purchasing software from Skylum. Whenever any OS updates become available, they never work to tweak any bugs that may ensue thus rendering us the users frustrated. I updated my Mac to Big Sur last night and since then Luminar has been crashing throughout. None of the workarounds worked for me. When will Skylum do something?

Suzanne Pask

I purchased Luminar 4 just months ago and I had been very happy with it until I installed Big Sur.  Now I am unable to edit any of my images.  I was working on one to enter into a competition so very disappointing.  I had put Aurora HDR on my wish list for Christmas but that isn't likely to work either which is disappointing.  This is very FRUSTRATING!  When will this be fixed?

Kirk Osborn

Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR are not our legacy products.

Our tech team is doing its best to ensure full compatibility with the new macOS. The compatibility updates should be available soon (we expect to deliver them by the end of the next week), so please stay tuned and check for updates.

Suzanne Pask

I can't work on photos previously uploaded to Luminar however I have been able to move new images from photos

over to Luminar and then edit, which is an improvement from this morning.  Fingers crossed full compatibility will happen soon.  I 

really enjoy Luminar and want it to function fully.

Mikael Schultz

A few days just became a week... got a really bad feeling about this. You will get lots of angry users by doing this. These bugs should have been sorted out BEFORE the release of Big Sur. Apple release betas so software companies as yourself can find bugs in the software before the release date. I’m starting to get some really unprofessional vibes from Skylum with lots of angry feelings. You don’t want your customers to feel that, they will likely abandon Skylum. I truly hope that a week dosen’t become a month.......... Angry/sad/upset Mike

Jaden Paber

Any news on the update for MacOS Big Sur Luminar 4 Compatibility? its really bugging me with all the crashes

David Martin

This repeats year after year ..... clearly Skylum is not interested in keeping customers just sucking in gullible customers with promises for next year and discarding last year's suckers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.