Luminar 4 now supports macOS Big Sur!

Comments

120 comments

Thierry Costes

Hello Austin,

I'm FURIOUS !!!

I've installed Luminar AI and this new software has exactly thé SAME PROBLEM !!!!

Why are you olaying with your cudtomers ???? Please, tell me.

I've paid the two softwares and they don't work as à plug-in for Photoshop in 16 bits !!! Thé on y work in8 bits since my  Macintosh is functionning with Big Sur. 

Regards

Thierry 

Comment actions Permalink
    Douglas Parks

An FYI.  I got an update to LR and PS today and it appears to be working again.  However Luminar does end with an error but does write the changes back to Photoshop.  So it appears that this may be resolved.  I will continue to test.

• Incredible! New Luminar AI has the same problems under Big Sur as 4.3.2!
    It works good as a standalone app, but doesnt work as a Photoshop plugin with 16-bit TIFF. Luminar just return black image!

Douglas Parks

Анатолий Ерехинский does it still have the same problem with the updated PS?  I just updated PS this morning and it seems so far that L4 is working again.  Perhaps this was a PS issue with Big Sur instead of Luminar?  So far so good for me, but I do not have the new AI version as of yet.

Douglas Parks

I should add that not only PS was updated, but also Lightroom and camera raw.  So not sure which may have cured it.

• Douglas Parks,
    I have updated PS & LR too. Tried Luminar 4 and AI with 16-bit images - got exactly the same result as a black rectangle.

Perhaps I will stop all correspondence with these guys and commenting in the community, since they are clearly passionate about artificial intelligence games and not about the workability of the product.

Robert Gallucci

I just downloaded and installed the updates to Camera Raw, Photoshop and Lightroom. The issue with the layers not appearing with the luminar edits is still there. 

Douglas Parks

Interesting.  Wonder what caused mine to suddenly start working after the update.  I did make sure it was in 16 bit mode and have done a number of images all starting from Nikon raw (.nef).  I also work in tif and not psd so not sure if that makes a difference for some.With the drop of AI tomorrow I hope not to have the issue with the new software.

Elena O'Brien

Hi guys!

As to LuminarAI having the same issue with Photoshop plugin, our tech team is working on it and it should be resolved by the official release date - December, 15th.

Joseph MOSTEFAOUI

I just upgraded to Mac OS 11.1 and the black layer issue with Photoshop plugin disappears ! Everything seems back to normal. 

T Ye

Yeah, I can confirm that. Looks like it was Apple's fault.

Alex Orzya

I made a video about my experience running Luminar 4 on the new 13” M1 MacBook Pro and compared it to the mid 2018 - 15” MacBook Pro with Intel Core-i7, 16GB ram. It should help answer your questions. I’ll also make a vide about Luminar AI in the next few days. https://youtu.be/CKA1YW9l8j0

Steven Lupsiewicz

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro 16". I upgraded to Big Sur 11.1 and also installed Luminar AI on the same day. While Luminar AI seemed to work fine. My complete library (over 17,000 photos) in Luminar 4 got "lost". When I try to relocate the missing files with the above procedure, Luminar 4 crashes. I de-installed Luminar AI, thinking that might be the reason, but now I think Luminar 4 is incompatible with Big Sur 11.1 update. Any ideas? 

Claude Schlachter

Hello 

i have the same problem, but I cannot follow the divine process because I cannot access to "File Request" with the right mouse click ! I also have no folder in Luminar, I imported the pictures as single elements.

Can someone help me? Thank you

Sonali Deshmukh

I tired following your instructions to locate folders. I get the message " Lumina cannot locate the folder -

You already have Single Image Edits with specified path."

I cannot get past this. it opened some folders and gave me this message for the rest,

What is the solution?

Helga Rowles

Hi,

In the Big Sur macOS, Apple has introduced some security-related changes, that’s why you may need to reconnect the folders manually.

If you get the message "Lumina cannot locate the folder - You already have Single Image Edits with specified path.", please close Luminar and try to move the folder to a different location. Open Luminar and try to locate the folder once again.

If further assistance is needed, please reach us at skylum.com/support

steve sinton

This doesn’t really work.  What The Skyrim team doesn’t seem to want to come to terms with is a problem that happens first time you start the newest L4 update. When it starts the first time, first thing it does is delete your old L4 catalog file. Catalog backup was also reset in my update. If you haven’t MANUALLY backed your catalog file up prior to updating, all your prior image edit info is lost.  I tried to find my prior catalog in Apple time machine files, but low and behold the Big Sur update I did the day before reset time machine to forget or lose all prior backups. My only option to get L4 working properly was to choose the right-click option to remove the topmost library folder from the L4 library, then reconnect that folder. L4 then finds the complete folder list but you only see your original images, no edited versions. Fortunately, whenever I get a “final” image I like I immediately export it and back it up externally.  Similar problems have occurred with my earlier L updates. I don’t understand why Skylum is ignoring this and handing out the same “solutions” that don’t work. They need to develop a robust capability that reliably maintains catalog viability and history through every update.

Richard Goldstone

Yup, this happened to me too.  Got L4 working by moving folders, searching for them, and then moving them back, but L4 lost the records of all my edits.  Hours of work gone.  I dearly wish I knew about manually backing up the L4 catalog before updating!    Soon after the original installation, Big Sur had another update and damn if L4 didn't lose its connections again.  This doesn't seem like a sustainable path.

Nicolas Venot

Well seeing that it's been over a week since I've contacted "support" without a response, I thought I'd turn back here at the risk of asking a repetitive question. Things were working reasonably well until the most recent Catalina update when my standalone L4 app once again lost my library. When I right-click and try to locate the folder, I am met with the same  "Luminar 4 can not locate the folder. You already have Single Image Edits with specified path" described by several people above. I've tried loading a different catalogue and backup date with no success. After moving my catalogue file and trying to locate it (as outlined a few posts prior), the app now crashes without fully loading until my photo library file is moved back to its original place (at which point I'm back to square one).

Has anyone else had success fixing this without losing all your edits? I already lost ALL of my edits from when I began using L4 as my primary image sorting library through to about the time the first Catalina update rolled throuh, and now I've potentially lost everything from the past few weeks. Luminar has proven it's self-time and time again to be anything but a professional editing and DAM solution. I'm happy to report that I've already spent the funds I originally earmarked for Luminar AI and put them towards Capture One 21 and couldn't be happier with an app that was completely functional on day one of its release. Now if I could just migrate all my work out of L4 that would be great...

Matthew Stough

Looking for MacPhun/Skylum to run as a roundtrip plugin to Affinity Photo:  https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006500879/comments/360002622179

Nicolas Venot

After 15 days of waiting for "support", with only a single not-so-helpful email 7 days ago, my frustration crossed a threshold and I realized that assistance from Skylum wasn't going to happen in a timely fashion. After digging through several threads, I found a few loosely-related issues that I managed to piece together into a solution I hope will work for everyone with missing libraries/files, as well as the dreaded "Luminar, cannot locate the folder - You already have Single Image Edits with specified path" error

1.) Look "Lost Edits" and "Single Image Edits" located in the "Shortcuts" section in the top right of the window. 

2.) Manually reassociate all "Lost Edits" (I had about 650 which took me the better part of an hour to do). You may not be able to associate all your images despite them definitely being located in the file you selected. Delete the lost edits that can't be reassociated.  

3.) Once all Lost Edits and Single Image Edits have been cleared out, right-click on your missing folder/folders and re-locate them. 

4.) If you're "lucky" like I was, you'll be met by a new alert asking "Are you sure you choose correct folder". If your copy of Luminar immediately crashes when clicking on the locate button, you'll need to move your image library file somewhere else on your computer. For some reason, once my file was moved, Luminar 4 is magically able to start up and load without crashing and can now find my folder in its new location. If this is the case, your copy of Luminar will probably immediately crash if you relocate your image file back to its original location. 

Hopefully this helps everyone else whose frustrated at the very apparently overwhelmed Luminar "support" team. I am absolutely ecstatic that I can now offload all my previously edited image files into another company's software which I'll be trusting with my photos from now on. All in all, I sure am glad I didn't waste any money on AI after this debacle. 

Daniel Sjöberg

Are you big sure it works?
    Luminar 4 is worse than 3, and the interface in 4... 

When I work with an image in Luminar 4, nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens then bang! 67 adjustments at once.
    The picture turns black and is gone, I suspect that Luminar works for high pressure. But I do not have the time and desire to wait so Im forced to quit.

So i say never again (mabye if there is a version coming out that works in real time, then mabye...).

basili mobile

Luminar 3 and Flex updates - any news on when/if they are coming?

Hi Angela Andrieux

From the community forum:

Angela Andrieux (3 months ago) "Unfortunately, Luminar Flex will not be updated." in this thread: Luminar 4 now supports macOS Big Sur!

Angela Andrieux (also 3 months ago)
    "Photolemur 3, Luminar 3, and Luminar Flex will be updated as well, but no we do not have an estimated date for the release of these updates at this time." in the thread: UPDATE 11/17/20 - macOS Big Sur Known Issues

I don't know if Luminar 3 and Flex will be updated to work on MacOS Big Sur or not. Despite the slow processing speed and occasional crashes, I hope they will be. I think they should be, Flex only had one update during its short neglected life, and Luminar 4 and AI are not satisfactory replacements – at least not for my photo processing workflow needs, they're more of a divergence to different auto adjustment focused type of editing program. If the programs are updated, I don't expect any new camera compatibility will be added (my Fujifilm X100V raw files are not supported in Flex, but I use Affinity to develop them as a workaround), but please, please let us choose to stop the filters panel from popping up over an image every time Flex is opened. 

Kate Williams

Hi basili,

Photolemur 3 and AirMagic have received a compatibility update that has fixed a crash on export. 

As for Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex, these apps are legacy and will not be updated.
    However, we provide anyone who owns Luminar 3/Luminar Flex and experiences tech issues with these apps on Big Sur with a free Luminar 4 license. If you decide to take us up on that offer, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support

basili mobile

Hi Kate

Thanks for clarifying. Your offer of Luminar 4 is generous. I've been testing it but a big problem is that with its focus on 'AI' processing it's taken a totally different approach to interface design. I had some customized workspaces set up in Flex that made processing images with a comprehensive set of tools a smooth experience. If I needed another tool for an image I could quickly add a 'filter' – they were all in the same place. L4 has put all those in a blender and I need to click through various workspaces and advanced menus to get a tool that I could just scroll to in Flex. There's no customization to the toolkit in L4. Similarly tools have been removed, for example in Flex I can crop and straighten a photo at the same time using the crop tool. In L4 I need to straighten a photo with the lens and geometry tool, then go to the crop tool to crop it.

I'd like to suggest that you add the ability to import workspaces from L3/Flex into L4 – have standard (current tool & UI set-up) and 'pro' modes (customized workspaces) – for the program.

Secondly, it's obvious that dam functionality is not advanced in Luminar products. That's fine as we can use them with external dams. As you already support plug in functionality with Adobe products, I'd like to suggest that you also add support for Adobe Bridge. Flex/L4 and Bridge work together quite well now but exporting and saving into Bridge must be done manually. As Bridge is freeware and is a very sophisticated dam solution, other Luminar 4 & AI users may find it an attractive workflow option if there is tight integration between the products.

Thanks.

Margaret Bright

Hi basili,

I will forward your suggestions to our team to have them consider implementing these changes in the future.

Jasiek

"As for Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex, these apps are legacy and will not be updated.
    However, we provide anyone who owns Luminar 3/Luminar Flex and experiences tech issues with these apps on Big Sur with a free Luminar 4 license. If you decide to take us up on that offer, please contact us at"

Does this also apply to free licenses? Luminar 3 was distributed e.g. via chip.de - Greetings!

Agatha Winter

Hi Jasiek!
    Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will see what we can do for you.

David Polo

That solution doesn't work. In the past I had to buy Luminar 4 because I did not get a solution with a Luminar 3 problem. Not a year has passed and I already have problems with Luminar 4. Will I have to buy Luminar AI as well for this issue to be fixed?

Elena O'Brien

Hi David Polo,

Please, reach out to us at https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to help you troubleshoot any issues.

Please sign in to leave a comment.