Pinned Featured

Comments

116 comments

Mitul Patel

Also having the black layer issue with photoshop using it as a plugin

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Egilsdottir

Hi Mitul Patel,

Please, be advised that we are working on the issue with Luminar 4 plugin. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this problem and we will do our best to fix ASAP. Thank you in advance for your patience.

James Fisher

Angela Andrieux

I have the exclamation mark issue after upgrading to Big Sur, but when I try your fix I get...

Angela Andrieux

Hi James,

I'm sorry that it didn't resolve your issue. Please reach out to our support team at www.skylum.com/support so we can take a closer look at your particular case.

Richard Goldstone

James Fisher I had exactly the same problem and peculiar error message.  Luminar was trying to read from Camera Uploads folder in Dropbox.  Technical support suggested moving the folder onto my hard drive and then telling Luminar to find the lost folder, which it did.  Then I moved the folder back to Dropbox and Luminar still read from it and everything worked.

Some of this might be a Big Sur issue.  When I connect my camera (Sony A6500), Finder no longer displays the relevant folders on the camera and I have to navigate to them.  This has nothing to do with Luminar.

James Fisher

Thanks, Richard. Mine is a folder on the hard drive that I manually transfer files from the camera into. I've raised a ticket, will see what they suggest.

James Fisher

Got it working with some help from the support team.

Shutdown Luminar, moved my folder to somewhere else on my hard drive (I just put it on the desktop). Open Luminar and Big Sur throws up a permissions box, asking if Luminar should be granted access to the desktop.

It then works. I then closed Luminar again and moved my folder back to where it was originally and it still worked.

So, some weird permissions thing. In System Preference/Security & Privacy/Files & Folders I removed the priv granted to the desktop, and it still works 🤔

Shawn Gano

Luminar Does NOT support Big Sur

Angela Andrieux

Hi Shawn,

I've already replied to you here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010010500-Luminar-Does-NOT-support-Big-Sur

We kindly ask that you do not repeat your post in multiple threads. Thanks for your cooperation!

Mike Taylor

I kind of sympathise with reposting the issue if you have marked a thread as answered when the problem still exists. Relocating folders is not working - Skylum crashes.

Seems to me you are using a lot of your resource to advance new functionality but not supporting paying customers by ensuring basic functionality.

Allan Mees

Tried James Fisher's solution - dragging My Pictures to Desktop

Opens fine when folder on desktop but when I move the folder back into the Pictures Folder Luminar crashed when trying to update Library.

James Fisher

Allan Mees Can you grant Luminar full disk access temporarily, and see if that stops it crashing?

Mattias Richter

Still not a single word on Luminar as a plug-in for Photoshop.

I’m glad I didn’t order the new version and instead settled for Nik Collection with the Black Friday offer.

Helga Rowles

Hi Mattias,
    We're currently investigating the issue with the Photoshop plugin.
    As soon as we have an update on this, we will be sure to share it with you.

In the meantime, please try to install the latest Adobe Camera Raw update (13.0) and reboot your Mac.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Some of our customers reported that it had helped to fix the issue for them.

Shawn Gano

Angela Andrieux -- Sorry for the repost, I wrote the other new thread first, but didn't see that it posted as there are so many pinned topics it took a while to scroll down to find the actual new threads that people have written.  You may want to unpin some of those pinned topics that are quite old.  Also these comments seem to not belong in a thread titled "Luminar 4 now supports macOS Big Sur!" -- when clearly that is not the case.  This thread's title is very misleading. 

James Fisher -- I tried granting Luminar full disc access before posting and that doesn't resolve the problem for me.  There is a special section in System Preferences/Security for access to photos but Luminar doesn't appear in that section and I can't seem to add it manually. 

Nam Ing

Helga Rowles...I am already running ACR 13.0.2.644 and still get black layer with 16bits images.

Douglas Parks

I am having the same issue as many.  When running L4 as a plugin which has been my workflow for a long time it returns, tries to update the layer and either gives me a black image or does nothing.  I have also tried it as a smart filter.  The interesting thing here is that it runs in "automatic" mode, applies the same changes I made prior, and then returns with no changes to the smart layer.  The plugin is indeed way broken in Big Sur.  I am current on the version of L4, PS, Camera Raw and all the things that have been called out.  

This needs to be rectified soon.  I figure you have all your developers working on Luminar AI, but I suggest that you pull some of them off to get this running again.  It does not give me high hopes for my purchase of the AI version of the tool when this is not being solved.  I have opened a case to track as well.

For what its worth the LR plugin seems to be working as desired.  Not sure what the difference is in these two plugins from a coding standpoint but it might lead you down a path to resolution. sooner so we can all start using this software again.

Douglas Parks

It appears that the issue I am having is a 16 bit mode issue.  If I pull back to 8 bit it appears to work as expected.  Still waiting on a fix.

Robert Gallucci

Same issues as others. Luminar is not working as a plugin. Same problems. First a black layer and then, if I run Luminar again, a layer without the edits made in Luminar. I like Luminar but at this point have to remove it from my workflow. 

Here is an unacceptable workaround if your workflow is Lightroom to Photoshop

• Open into photoshop from lightroom. 
    • Make your initial edits. For me, it is Define and then Topaz Sharpen.
    • Save the file and go back to the xxx edit.psd image in lightroom
    • Choose Edit in and pick Luminar. Apply when done. The Luminar edits are saved. 
    • Bring the photo back into Photoshop if it needs any further edits. 

----

Versions

Luminar 4

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.0.1 20201106.r.73 2020/11/06: 70b4743b574 x64

Camera Raw: 13.0.2

Helena Carter

Hi,

Our team is currently investigating the issue and we hope it is going to be resolved soon. 
    What we do know so far is that the issue mostly persists for 16-bit files.
    For now, you can either process 16-bit TIFFs in the standalone version of Luminar or send 8-bit files to the Luminar plugin. 
    Also, one of our customers has found some workaround by creating a copy of the layer in Photoshop.
    Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We will keep you updated on this problem

• Helena Carter

Hi.

1. Yes, we can edit 16-bit TIFF in the standalone version of Luminar, but Luminar crashes after export each edited file to Photoshop.

2. When using Luminar plugin with copy of layer, Luminar return image without any changes.

3. The conclusion suggests itself that the extreme workload of your team with other things does not leave time for solving these problems. It's sad.

Helena Carter

Hi Анатолий Ерехинский,

Our developers are working around the clock to get this resolved. Moreover, you can help us investigate this.

Please, reach out via https://skylum.com/support so we could pass the info regarding your particular case to our developers. It would be great if you refer to this thread and also mention all the steps you have done so far. Thanks in advance!

• Hi Helena Carter,

I have already contacted your support abjut two weeks ago, received an offer to record the screens of what is happening while trying to work with Luminar, so that you can solve my specific problems. But Luminar's problems are not particular, they require a solution as a whole. So I can only repeat what I wrote to Angela 15 days ago: It is a wrong approach to deal with particular cases. Just make the app workable for everyone

With some concern I think: And the widely advertised upcoming Luminar AI may also stop working with the release of the next MacOS in 2021?

Thank you

Victoria Grace

Hi Анатолий Ерехинский,

We're doing our best to provide compatibility updates as soon as new OSs are released. Sometimes it may take some time for us to determine the problem and provide a fix for it. Be sure we'd like you to get the best experience with us so we work hard to make it happen. Thanks for your understanding.

Mathias Hellquist

FWIW: I too have the same problems and have been waiting for quite a while now until I have realised I have to remove Luminar from my workflow that I got going as late as in end of October when I purchased it, and which I really liked. It is a shame. Hoping for a swift fix, but seeing as it has been a couple of weeks now I have had to find workarounds.

As I recall it though, it WAS working fine and then just stopped, even after I updated to BigSur. I guess I must be confused on that. I have tried all the things mentioned here. I have also tried to install older versions of the software and the plugins. I've un-installed, rebooted, removed folders etc for days, without any luck. At one point I even uninstalled my other plugins/panels too, just to ensure it wasn't something in them that caused issues, but no.

Seeing as my workflow is based around Lightroom -> Photoshop -> Lightroom, where I use Luminar in the Photoshop part, and it is NOT the last step in that process, the workarounds of using Luminar in Lightroom isn't suitable for me.

James Fisher

Wouldn't sticking with Catalina for a while be better than changing your workflow? We have a couple of machines kept at n-1 for this reason .

How about if the customer shouldn't adjust his system to a faulty program and live with compromises, but Skylum finally makes his software run on all systems? The impression arises that Skylum only has two programmers who are completely overwhelmed. All older programs from Skylum are not maintained. How it works is shown by other great manufacturers such as Serif, who have managed to make their software native to the new system with the Apple Keynote. And Adobe is also working on it. Even if there is no native support for M1 there, Photoshop runs via Rosetta. Luminar, on the other hand, doesn't even run flawlessly on Rosetta. That says a lot. Instead of telling the customer over and over again to be patient, Skylum should simply get the Luminar program running. And if they can't, they should pay the customers their money back or offer Luminar AI free of charge in the hope that this program will work better.

James Fisher

This isn't just an issue with Skylum though.

There are many Adobe apps where their position is 'we strongly recommend you wait until we have released a compatible version of your app.'.

My wife's pro music production software has only just moved to Catalina. That mac won't move to Big Sur until the next version of macOS I suspect.

Mattias Richter

James,

The difference here is that Skylum, as the title of this thread, says that Luminar is compatible with Big Sur.

Anyway I have given up on Skylum and gone back to the Nik Collection. Not interested in purchasing any more of their products when I don’t know if they will stop working the follow month.

Robert Gallucci

Any updates on the Photoshop workflow issue? 

Please sign in to leave a comment.