Luminar 4 now supports macOS Big Sur!

Pinned Featured

Comments

116 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

If you ran the update that was released yesterday and are experiencing n issues, please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so we can address your particular cases. We'll do our best to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

Comment actions Permalink
  • Dear Angela,

It is a wrong approach to deal with particular cases. Just make the app workable for everyone

I agree, the app should be compatible with Big Sur at its foundation. Asking each individual to contact tech support through e-mail and wait days for a back and forth exchange is unprofessional. I should not have been a surprise that this update was coming and now we are not getting the support that should be provided. I have contacted tech support and I got what I expected, as automated response with no assistance.

It is getting more and more difficult to stay with your product and the ongoing issues.

Helga Rowles

Hi Member,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing issues with our product. We will do our best to get Luminar up and running.
    One of our support agents will get back to you soon.

Mark Brown

In response to those using it as a plugin I have found some strange behaviour.

I have two user profiles on my iMac running Big Sur and Luminar both latest editions.   I only ever use it as a plugin as part of my workflow with LR and PS.  

On one profile all works fine no issues at all.

On the other profile I have found the following

• If I open a RAW image in photoshop and then edit in Luminar, if I then apply changes back to photoshop all works fine.
    • If I open the image in Lightroom though and then edit in Luminar and apply changes all I get is a single layer completely blank image.

The work around to this I have found is that if you have more than one layer in photoshop before you go to Luminar to edit then when you apply the changes it works and you get no black single image.  

Whilst they fix the issues this might be a work around that works for some others.

Annabelle Zhang

To me, it works well as photoshop plugin for 8-bit pictures but not for 16-bit pictures.

• You're right, Annabelle, but what about those who are used to working with 16-bit images?

Nicolas Venot

It was simply fantastic having to dig through a help forum on here to find out about the most recent update. On my first un-updated launch after upgrading to Big Sur, all my previous editing data has seemingly vanished (no longer associated with my Luminar catalogue) including hundreds of hours worth of editing time across thousands of images. I now have a file full of "lost edits" which I have to painstakingly go back and re-locate them one by one.  All my previous ratings have also vanished too; how neat is that? Best of all the app still regularly crashes whilst trying to relocate my images one by one. 

Couldn't agree more with the comment from "Member" made on 19/11. Unfortunately, this is yet another reason to a list that's grown too long of why I won't be spending any more of my money or time on future Skylum products. 

steve sinton

The solutions to serious problems with L 4.3.2 offered by Elena Blum DO NOT WORK.  Skylum, which is usually very responsive and on top of things needs to fix this issue being experienced by many ASAP.  At this point my sense is that Skylum has flubbed this roll out of update to match Mac OS Big Sur terribly.  Please get on it!

Anastasia Davis

Nicolas Venot Please reach our support team so we could help you with that: https://skylum.com/support

steve sinton We have released the update for the most critical issue, the export one. Thus, we will do our best to fix all the other known issues as soon as possible.

Mike Ward

Lost all my edits and now cannot even contact support via the web page - just hangs!

Helga Rowles

Hi Alex Flinsch!
    We have some good news. Luminar Flex (and Luminar 3) will be updated to support macOS Big Sur too. It might take some time for us to prepare it since we're currently focused on Luminar AI, but there will definitely be a compatibility update.

JOSE MARIA GARCIA DANA

Hello,

Like others, when I use Luminar as a plug-in for Photoshop, I can work. But when I export the photo to Photoshop I have a black photo.

I have the latest version of Luminar 4 and I use Big Sur.

Could I have your help?, Please.

Greetings.

Kevin Lane

Just went through the very in-depth walk through of removing Luminar using a third party app and manually renaming the old catalogue folders and files.... 

Still doesn't work. This is getting old. 

LeRoi Mines

I have to agree with Kevin Lane.  This is getting sooo old and sooo tiring.  Luminar 3 upgrade lost all of my edits.  I was not going to let Skylum do that to me again.  

I went back to Photoshop and used Luminar 4 as a plug-in.  I've just updated Luminar 4 because I got the prompt and did so.  Now I discover, like many others, the plug-in doesn't work!!!  

My questions to Skylum are:

1. DO YOU HAVE A TESTING TEAM?  

2. DO YOU HAVE A QUALITY ASSURANCE TEAM??  

3. How is it possible that Skylum continuously deploy software that screw up the workflow of so many people?

4. How can I roll back this latest update?

Andrew Mercer

Still no joy. :(

I waited a few days for Skylum to sort out the issue hoping that would work.
    However, with the Luminar 4.3.2 installed I still get the exclamation marks and blurry images. I'm tried the Locate Folder option ... but Luminar just crashes. Frustrating. The new version should have been developed and tested months ago rather than leaving it until after the new MacOS launch.

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'DBCore(code #19), tag:RenamePath: [DBCoreImpl::Transaction] process transaction failed: UNIQUE constraint failed: paths.volume_id_int_64, paths.path_wide_chUPDATE paths SET path_wide_ch=replace(path_wide_ch, 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV', 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV'), volume_id_int_64=5 WHERE volume_id_int_64=4 AND (path_wide_ch LIKE 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV' OR path_wide_ch LIKE 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV/%')', reason: '[DBCoreImpl::Transaction] process transaction failed: UNIQUE constraint failed: paths.volume_id_int_64, paths.path_wide_chUPDATE paths SET path_wide_ch=replace(path_wide_ch, 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV', 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV'), volume_id_int_64=5 WHERE volume_id_int_64=4 AND (path_wide_ch LIKE 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV' OR path_wide_ch LIKE 'Users/andrew/Pictures/Sony A7R IV/%')'
    abort() called
    terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Tobias Roth

Are these updates going to be provided for Luminar 3 as well?

I experience the same issues, crashing on export, exclamation marks next to pictures in the library, and besides that the pictures in the library seem to multiply themselves on every program start...

This is really unfortunate...  :-(

I was considering upgrading to Version 4, but with these news this is honestly not an option anymore...

Mike Cawood

Hello after updating my computer to Big Sur my library will not sync with the computer, i have tried to add new folders but nothing, when i use the locate folders in the pull down menu it finds the folder but as soon as i start the locate Luminar just crashes.

Thank you.

M.Cawood.

Kate Williams

Hi guys, 

@JOSE and LeRoi Mines Please try (re-)installing the latest Camera RAW update. Are you working with RAWs or TIFFS?  If TIFFs, are they 8-bit or 16-bit ones? 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tobias Roth, Luminar 3 will also receive a fix of an export crash. However, please do note that it will take some time as we're currently focused on the Luminar AI release.

In the meantime, you can use the following workaround: click on the 'Export' button, select 'Open in Photos' option, and export an edited photo that way: https://prnt.sc/vjf8fm 

As for the exclamation marks next to the photos, you can try to locate the folders this way:

1. Go to the Library tab;

2. Right-click the missing folder; (be sure to select the root (parent) folders) 

3. Choose Locate Folder from the drop-down menu: https://prnt.sc/syjwtz;

4. Find and point to the missing folder.

Here's the video tutorial:  https://www.loom.com/share/818b7c3fac91444a9c28426ff38c82ae 

--------------------------------------------------------

@Andrew and Mike Cawood, could you please provide a full crash log via https://skylum.com/support

1. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 4 in their names and attach them to your email.

In the meantime, you may also try to set up a new catalog via File > Catalog > New to check how it works for you. 

Angela, you write: "Luminar 4 now supports macOS Big Sur!"

Specific question: Has Luminar been natively adapted to Apple's M1 Chip and BigSur?

LeRoi Mines

Kate Williams

I re-installed Adobe ACR.  That made no difference to the results.  A multi-layered image returns no Luminar changes to Photoshop.  A single layer image returns either a solid black image or one that looks like this.  Once in Photoshop, I'm using TIFFs.

Dave Zuuring

I have updated as well. First time it worked, now it gives the same issues.

Workflow is Lightroom - Photoshop adjustments - finishing in Luminar 4.

App works but when applying the. adjustments, it exports to Photoshop and only gives a black layer.....

When I work only in Lightroom to Luminar 4 all works well...so there is some trouble with Photoshop CC.

Thierry Costes

Ladies and gentlemen, good afternoon from the beautiful island of Corsica, 😄

If you want to use the plug-in of Luminar 4 for Photoshop, and if you work with Tif files, you must have Tif i8 bits. Not 16 bits. 

Before Big Sur and the last update of Luminar 4 the plug-in was perfectly working with Tif 16 bits !!!

Please, dear friends of Skylum, could you please do the nécessaire ? Because I want to continue to work with Tif 16 bits. 

Best regards. 

Thierry

Kate Williams

@Member

Not yet. Apple has stated that this transition to new hardware will take approximately two years for them to release.

Skylum is a member of the Apple Developer program. Once Apple provides us with the prototype hardware, we will start working with it and ensure that Luminar  will be compatible with these new processors. We have a long history of developing for the Mac platform and will ensure that all our technologies are perfectly adapted for the new hardware.

Thus, the native support on the M1 chips may take some time. However, the ability to launch the software on a new Mac will be possible faster than the native support due to Rosetta 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)#Rosetta_2 that aids the transition. 

We will announce an estimated timeframe for compatibility with new chips later this year. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

LeRoi and Dave Zuuring are you also working with 16-bit Tiffs? 

I've informed our engineering team about the comments of Thierry Costes. 

Our techs will investigate this issue. 

Mattias Richter

Have the same problem with using Luminar as a plugin for Photoshop and get a black layer in Photoshop with export.

It's extremely frustrating that this has been going on for a long time and been reported by several users and still Skylum does not seem to recognise the problem.

At least we could get some acknowledgement that you are working on the problem and a timeline for when the problem are expected to be fixed. If you are not working on the problem I want to know that so I can look at other services besides Luminar as my workflow has grinned to a halt and I have been unable to do my work for over a week now!

Dave Zuuring

Kate Williams Yes i think so.... at least i've changed it now in Lightroom to 8 bits... just opened a file, did some Luminar 4 edits and than It exported ok back to Photoshop + belows message as well....

@ Kate Willimas
    No offense, but obviously you missed Apple's keynote. The new hardware and OS Big Sur are released. Apple made the development kit available to software developers before the keynote date. But Skylum did not take advantage of the great opportunity.

The fact that Apple grants 2 years to convert its entire hardware to the ARM architecture has nothing to do with the fact that Skylum missed to adapt the Luminar program code to the M1 and BigSur. Again, Luminar users are advised to wait. Do you really think we're that stupid? What nonsense!

A little tip: Go to Serif's homepage, for example ... it's amazing what the software developers have done there ...
    Just imagine: Serif understood what their customers want. They just took the Apple Development Kit and used it to rewrite Affinity to the new Apple chip design and BigSur. And just in time for the keynote, the optimized program version of Affinity was available. And it works. Just imagine ... That's mind blowing,...that's what I call customer loyalty!

And one more thing: Rosetta is a framework from Apple (!) for the transparent emulation of programs for a different processor architecture previously used by Apple in the computers of the Mac series. At least most of the time. But Luminar is not one of them, as you can read in the user comments. Seems to be due to the faulty Luminar X86 program code.

Skylum remains a disappointment!

Henric Wangel

Yes! I agree with Member above. Serif has made some great Affinity apps for mac OS and iPad OS and win. About the same price point. Always up to date with OS.

I feels like Skylum with Luminar is on the wrong path. Luminar 3 was good GUI, everything you expected, hade some bugfs but I remember you fixed them quickly!?! (If I remember correctly)

I bought and used L3 and was curious about L4 because some Ai functions, but the GUI in L4 left some to ask to compare to L3.

You should have JUST updated L3, with Ai function. Not release a new one. I think I speak for the majority of your customers.

Many left adobe for the monthly cost, and founded L3 a great choice.

You simply can’t release a new Luminar version (Ai) before fixing L4. Since there is such a difference.

L3 felt like a real Adobe Lightroom competitor.
    L4 is more to Ai, but still advanced menus and sliders (but to many clicks away to reach them...) se other threads about this.

Lumiar Ai, what I can get info about is more / ONLY?! in to Ai?!

If you could make a Luminar 3, with Ai it would be perfect. Made an option for the user to choose between advanced and simple/ beginner interface.

Test run it like hell, in every situation, TB of data etc, then release it like Skylum Photo 1.0 and give everyone how both L3, L4 etc a license. I think the Luminar label is dead for many of us now.

Please see this as an advice from customers.

I believe that your marketing and “customer journey” needs some improvements.

https://boagworld.com/audio/customer-journey-mapping/

Keep it up! You can fix this!

Joseph MOSTEFAOUI

As many users here I’m stuck with the “Black Layer” issue with Photoshop export. 

So instead of constantly sending us email to explain how Luminar AI is going to change our life as photographers could you please fix this basic problem with Luminar 4 !!! 

Alex Tsepko, the CEO of Skylum wrote it: Luminar 4 and previous versions will not be further developed. Many promises made regarding Luminar 4 and earlier versions are simply not being kept. Users get stuck on software that is buggy and is not being developed any further.

Since not even the earlier promises are kept, what incentive should Skylum have to make Luminar 4 usable for ARM? Skylum never made that promise. The incentive to do it is zero! In other words, I think Luminar 4 is unlikely to ever come with native ARM support.

To this day, Skylum has not understood that Skylum doesn't have to tell US photographers what good pictures look like and how OUR workshop should work.

Please sign in to leave a comment.