Maximum export size in Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

32 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eddy,

At this time, Luminar AI has the same limitation as Luminar 4 of 15,000 pixels on the long edge for export. We've added the request to change this to our feature request list, but I don't have an ETA on when/if this will be changed.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eddy Dens

Hello Angela,

Thank you for your answer. Think that there is to little interest of other photographers to push this feature to the top of the request list.
    But then again there is some little hope that one day ...

Regards,

Eddy

Thomas Steffen

Today, i also tried to optimize an orthophoto (one big image, stitched from a lot of single photos). It had an size of 44000x53000 pixels. I was able to load the picture, but i couldn't edit it on my GIS-Workstation (wich has 128GB of RAM).
    For me, it would also be a big benefit, if there wasn't such a restriction!

Eddy Dens

Hi Thomas,
    The picture size you have is indeed to big for Luminar to handle.
    I use a workaround for occasional big images, panoramas, that I have.
    First I start with a smaller picture that Luminar can handle. Adjust the settings to the image that I want and save these settings to a custom own look. 
    In Photoshop I divide the big image into different pieces and save each one as a separate file.
    Then let Luminar do the correction using my own look to these partial image files.
    When that is done, combine the Luminar edit images again to one whole image.
    On the big image I can do some dodge and burn, or other light, little corrections.

There are some difficulties, using masks or settings that are just applied to some portions off the whole image.
    However there are enough enhancing tools that can be used with good end result, others just don't work. It"s a bit try and error and search for a workaround.
    And yes it would be fantastic if Skylum did some effort to make this work. But then again how many of us are going to make use of this?
    Good luck,
    Eddy

Hello, most of the time i do panoramashots with my 70-200mm and stitching them togehter in Affinity or PS. Yesterday (before Luminar AI was launched) i worked on a beautiful panorama in Affinity and it looks brilliant. I thought to myself: "Hmm in a few hours Luminar AI will be launched, let´s give it a try on this panorama." So i did, and i have to say, Luminar AI made this already beautiful panoramapicture even better. I was very happy with the result and couldn´t wait to print it in a real big size. As i tried to export the picture, i almost started to cry. Luminar didn´t let me export it because of the pixels on the long edge. At first i thought this must be a joke, but no...it wasn´t. Nevertheless i printed the Affinity version of the panorama, but it would be a touch better if i could have taken the Luminar AI version for print.

Would be very happy, if this limitation would be increased or completely removed.

Cya, Pasi   

Eddy Dens

File export > 15000px How to?

Hi, this is my workflow since a long time in Luminar 4  and now in AI:

Open the image in Luminar AI, it lets you open files with a pixels size > 15000px.
    Make all the changes until you are satisfied with the look of your image.
    Choose the compostion tool in the Essentials section, and select "Free". Set the composition so that it's not > 14999px on the width. Export to Tif. Go back to your image and do the same but now for the other side of the image.
    We have luck that Luminar is non-destructive on the image.
    Combine (stitch) the images in PS. Since you mention you have PS to stitch this must be no problem.

It's a workaround I now, they should give us the possibility to export larger files. Don't know why it's so difficult because most of the image programs on the market these days can do it.
    I don't want them to rewrite the software to give us stitching capabilities, there are enough solutions even free to use. I use PtGui for the assembling of multiple images. Only exporting more then 15000 would help a lot, But then again I do have sometimes more then 6x the width and more on the height.

Hope this helps you out, and perhaps also others that read this, good luck to you!

Eddy  

Thank you Eddi, nice idea. I will try this on my next panorama.

Bye

Pasi

Nancy Hirsch

I created a .tif file in Helicon Focus and opened it in Luminar 4 to do some small edits. That worked fine. I cannot export the file. The export button is grayed out. The file is 69.7 MB. Long edge pixels are only 6078. Why can't I export this photo?

Margaret Bright

Hi Nancy,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will help you get this sorted out.

Rob Miller

Any chance or workaround to get this working for 16k Panos? My camera shoots 16384x8192 images and I can edit them with no problem, but export doesnt work. I really need to get these pictures in and out of luminar.

Katherine Nelson

Hi Rob Miller,

I am afraid currently you can only export images up to 15 000 pixels. 

However, I will forward your request to our technical department and they will consider the possibility of expanding the limit. 

Matt Orth

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360003119292/comments/360001230020

Katherine, that’s what you guys said two years ago.  Just be honest and say it’s never going to happen. 

Helena Carter

Hi Matt Orth,

I completely understand your frustration and how this functionality might be beneficial for you and many other customers. Still, I'm afraid, for now, LuminarAI is moving in a different direction, thus, we cannot provide any info on whether this functionality will be added someday. Nevertheless, we always listen to our customers' feedback: it helps us prioritize most of the tasks.

Rob Miller

Helena, not sure if you understand the frustration…. Image size limitation is a complete dealbreaker and shouldn’t be hard to fix from your side. Your devs should be able to update this with just a few changes of code in less than half an hour and roll out an update if you really listen to us… sadly until this is fixed I’ll have to go back to another software

Eddy Dens

It is a great help that one can directly call Luminar AI from PS. I even was astonished that a 23000px square pano was loaded into Luminar AI via the plugin from Photoshop. I even could do the changes to the panorama and tweak all the necessary sliders so that I had the image I had in mind. Returning the image to PS was also a GO, surprisingly well, because normally once you pass the 14999 limit this is in Luminar 4 and AI not working. And then it happened, there it was the percentage bar was moving telling that is was changing the image (layer). Until it reached the end and NOTHING was changed, visible NOTHING at all.
    What happens in the background?
    Luminar allows the export from PS for images that it can not return after they have been changed.
    It's nice to have a program that works and does a lot of good and fantastic things for us photographers. But it's time that after all these years Luminar programmers should spend some time to prevent loading images over the pixel limit or just make it work.
    I'm a long time user of different Skylum products an will keep on using but it's frustrating that we are dealing with long term problems like this one.

Helga Rowles

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for bringing the problem to our attention.
    Luminar AI definitely shouldn't accept images that it can not return back to Photoshop.

I have reported the issue to our developers.

Wayne Clingingsmith

This limitation 15000 is so frustrating. If you would put this limitation clearly it into your marketing specifications then no one who creates large panoramic photos would buy the software. Also to support a plugin to Photoshop what does not work with large images with a 15000 limit is just poor business practice and not being a responsible company!

Eddy Dens

Don't know when Skylum lost interest for the panorama editing possibilities.
    But it look like Luminar 3 was able to do a pano edit, via the Lightroom plug'in. I can't make out the the image size, but I guess that it could have been more than the limit we have now. See this video from 2019 on Skylums Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/8_8HJYn-94c 
    It just makes me curious, but to now if it works I need to reinstall version 3 and give it a try.
    And this will only happen in a few weeks time, I'm kinda short of free time for now to experiment, a lot of drone footage, images, and other stuff that needs my attention at this moment.
    But if someone finds the time to test, I surely want to know the result. Or perhaps Skylum people can answer the question.

Matt Orth

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360003119292/comments/360003503072

Sorry, Eddy, this limitation goes back to the original Luminar 2018. Which does make you wonder about their claim that AI is “new from the ground up”.

Eddy Dens

Indeed, new from the ground up but not taking in count that new cameras make enormous files and pixel-size.

Oca Hoeflein

I'd like to add my voice here for the expanded file size export support I regularly create pano's 30k - 50k pixels wide and would love to have support for these larger file sizes

Carlos Morillo

This is a huge limitation to not be able to handle larger megapixel files. Really panos from any cameras are an issue but if you are using a higher end Hasselblad with 100 MP, Fujifilm GFX 100, 100s,  Or a 150 MP Phase One, panos are pretty much not an option. The Hasselblad and The Fujifilm can even pump out 400 MP files with a multishot pixelshift. I guess Luminar is essentially locking out higher end camera users who want to do panos. Full frame cameras and apsc seem to be increasing in resolution every year. Maybe the complaints will mount as more and more mainstream users keep adopting the 40 to 60 MP offerings. It only takes a few of those pics to start to reach the 15,000 long edge limitation. Computers with 64, 128, 192, and 256 are a lot more common now a days than they were 4 or 5 years ago and camera resolutions keep going up. Using Luminar on the images prior to creating the pano is not nearly as good a workflow as doing it afterward towards the end of the workflow. Please don't leave this down on the priority list as some users won't voice the complaint, they'll simply not buy the next version.

Eddy Dens

AI is the BIG word at Skylum. Apparently there is no intelligence when it comes to increase the export pixel size of panoramas. What is holding them back? A file limitation pixel size to 15000 is, in my opinion, old fashion and no more something that you can keep nowadays. Come on Skylum proof that AI can also be "A Increase" of export size. It's time that after all those years it comes to an end. Will it be YES or NEVER? 

Robert Harrison

Please, please fix this.  I cannot edit my best landscape photos in Luminar.

Ivan Azure

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We will pass this information to the responsible department for consideration.

Matt Orth

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360003119292/comments/360007144371

They’ve been “considering” this for a long time.

Isn’t it curious that every “new from the ground up” version of Luminar, so very different and unique from the previous version that you have to start over, has the exact same limitation?

Lenny Verkhovsky

Unfortunately this is their business model - selling old product in new cover. Keeping old limitations and changing formats, so there is no backwards campatibility, or migration option. I guess they prefer one time buyers instead of long term relationships.

Ivan Azure

Hi,

We are sorry to hear that you have such reflections. Please note that we are interested in offering improved tendencies and innovative models. The satisfaction of our customers is our priority. Our team constantly works on the ameliorations. However, some of the modifications need more time.

Here it is possible to become acquainted with the difference between the applications better:

https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/ai/general

https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/neo/general

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4407058770066-Was-ist-der-vergleich- between-Luminar-4-Luminar-AI-and-Luminar-Neo-

Matt Orth

Ivan

You forgot to say “our developers are working around the clock” and “stay tuned”. 

Eddy Dens

I still follow these discussions about the maximum size in Luminar or whatever name they give it to the future releases of their software. 
    That Ivan stated in his reply that some of the modifications need more time, this is the exact answer you give to customers when you want them to back-off with their demands about something.
    Don't mention it by name nor do give some hope of nearby future release or even a close hint that it could come someday and certainly don't make customers angry by writing that it will never happen.
    I must say that after all these years being unable to use it as a complete package, panoramas and big full frame sensor images included, it is catastrophic. As long as you keep the max size under the limit then it's fine even very good, but...
    It's like having a Ferrari with a engine of first gen Fiat 500. (And I do not offend this little car, because it has it's own potential)

So Skylum, what will it be?

Do we have a near future update with no limit, or bigger pixel count, or never?
    Does Luminar Neo come with no limits?

I will "stay tuned"

Please sign in to leave a comment.