Apple Mac M1 Support

Answered

Comments

38 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Christian,

Luminar AI won't support Apple Silicon in the initial release. However, we will surely adjust it to the new processors in the future. We will also do our best to provide compatibility to Luminar 4 as well.

We will announce an estimated timeframe for compatibility with new chips after the first Macs ship at the end of 2020. Please stay tuned!

Comment actions Permalink
    Johan Swanepoel

I have Luminar 4 running on Big Sur (Intel and Apple M1) - Rosetta does an amazing job. I am looking forward to an optimised version for Apple Silicon.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Margaret Bright 

Macs with an M1 chip are already being shipped.

..und Adobe hat schon die erste Beta für Photoshop fertig:

https://www.maclife.de/news/adobe-photoshop-erste-beta-apples-m1-macs-verfuegbar-mac-life-100118039.html

Ed Cohen

I think the next question is will the M1 optimized version be an update to an existing version or an upgrade that needs to be purchased?

Thanks,

Ed

芳雄 緒方

Hi everyone, I am here with a same interest;

>Johan Swanepoel

How is the Luminar 4's performance with M1 chip?  Appreciated if you can comment on that. :-)

I myself have ordered a new macMini/M1 recently.  Can't wait to try out. 

Cheers

Johan Swanepoel

I use it as a plugin with Photos on the Mac and have no complaints. It is at least as fast as on the iMac. The M1 is amazing enjoy it.

芳雄 緒方

Thanks for the comment. I myself use Luminar4 as a single application, not as a plug-in and a lot of performance-complaints to make when you deal with many layers and masking applied. Hope The sluggishness will be reduced on a new Mac.
    Cheers
    Yoshio, Kyoto Japan

Dutchman

Margaret, you write that your latest program Luminar AI will not support Apple's new Silicon M1 chip and BiSur OS when it comes out? I mean native support, of course! Everything else would be classified as amateurs.
    So are you serious that Skylum is once again missing the goal of wanting to be so great?

After all, Apple provided the developers with toolkits in the summer so that they can adapt their programs to Apple's new architecture.

Missed opportunities from Skylum! What a shame!

Helga Hufflepuff

Member,

Please, note that LuminarAI will be fully compatible with Big Sur macOS upon its release, however, it will take some time to optimize it to work on computers with new Silicon M1 chips. This is quite a time-consuming process, but I can assure you that we will do our best to release the compatible versions ASAP. I understand that you expected to receive them once new Mac computers with new chips are available and we definitely did not want to disappoint you, but at the same time optimization process will take us some time. Please, stay tuned and keep an eye on updates. 

Dutchman

Helga, please read my comment more carefully! It is noticeable that Skylum employees keep distracting from the topic! Such a thing is bad practice.

Luminar would like to support BigSur, but as already made clear in other tweets, not even that works properly. Rosetta cannot emulate a faulty x-86 code from Luminar on ARM processors either. And there is no real ARM support either now or with the release of Luminar AI. This means that a native execution of Luminar on an ARM system is not possible, and neither is an execution emulated via Rosetta.

You have had enough time in advance to adapt your apps on ARM. But as I wrote in another tweet, Skylum missed the opportunity. Other really big software manufacturers were and are simply better and already deliver their software NOW with native support for Apple's new structure.

Not for bad, but I'll stick with it: Again Skylum shows that it misses real opportunities and that its users only have to be patient instead of just delivering at the right time.

Skylum must finally get away from its own expectations and listen to the needs of its users. Who cares about giraffes in the sky, we would rather have full ARM support NOW for all current Luminar and Aurora versions! And there is nothing here to apologize and tell the user to wait.

Faysal Sekkouah

I’m looking forward to the ARM optimized version that will take advantage of those neural cores in the M1. And who knows if that will the development to work on Pro iPads. There’s a bright future ahead for Luminar AI!

芳雄 緒方

I bought a new M1 chip Mac-mini and tried it out my Luminar 4 yesterday, So far everything’s working great and it seems a little bit snappier, maybe due to the fast SSD and unified memory combination. I don’t know if it stays smoother when I do the heavy jobs, I will report that later on.

Leo Horthy

I still run Luminar 3 and will wait to give Skylum any of my hard-earned cash until they release a version that runs natively on the M1 processor. I have been burned in the past by Skylum. When I prebought the first version of Luminar because they said it would have a digital asset manager feature only to wait over a year for that feature to be added.

If Skylum spent more money developing products rather than marketing them they might be able to deliver products in a timely manner. The fact that Luminar was broken on Big Sur when the new OS shipped is unforgivable.

Ed Cohen

I am on Luminar 4 but have the exact same sentiment...  Skylum, you have a good product but now it is time to make it more competitive and into a great product.   Adding new effects is nice but supporting the latest OS and hardware is a must...   Please let us know when you expect to release the M1 version and I will gladly set aside the funds...

Faysal Sekkouah

Happy to report that Luminar AI on my M1 MacBook Pro 13” 16GB is running great even when editing large raw files. 
    The only occasional issue was a couple of crashes when editing files straight out of Apple”s native photos app.  
    overall I’m very pleased with the performance which would be even better when the app will be optimized for Apple silicone.  

芳雄 緒方

Yeah, I totally agree with that, Luminar 4 and Luminar AI are running much much smoother on M1 chip than Intel. Yes, some grinches are still there and iCPU usage is still very very high, but overall usable - much smoother than Intel.

Alex Orzya

I made a video about my experience running Luminar 4 on the new 13” M1 MacBook Pro and compared it to the mid 2018 - 15” MacBook Pro with Intel Core-i7, 16GB ram. It should help answer your questions. I’ll also make a vide about Luminar AI in the next few days. https://youtu.be/CKA1YW9l8j0

Marco Bicca

Thanks for the test Alex Orzya, I myself just got a new MacBook Pro 13, base model with M1 and so far, I have seen pretty close to the experience I have on my MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch with 64GB. It would be really nice if Skylum can indeed jump the ship on getting it native on M1, that would be a game changer indeed and I sincerely hope they do that soon!

Karsten Thygesen

So Luminar - it have been two months since this topic came up and a lot of M1-based computers are out there now - any update on the native support project? 

Thank you for your video. Alex Orzya.
    Meanwhile...
    "We will announce an estimated timeframe for compatibility with new chips after the first Macs ship at the end of 2020. Please stay tuned!"
    It is 11th Jan 2021.
    They are late just to announce a roadmap. We can only imagine the stage of development the ARM build....

Anastasia Davis

Hi! Skylum is a member of the Apple Developer program. We’ve received the prototype hardware, and right now we’re working with it to ensure that LuminarAI will be compatible with these new processors. We have a long history of developing for the Mac platform and will ensure that all our technologies are perfectly adapted for the new hardware.The native support on the M1 chips may take some time. However, using the software on new Macs will be possible much faster than the native support due to Rosetta 2 that aids the transition. This translation process will provide you with a fully operational software.
    LuminarAI is expected to launch in compatibility mode with the new Macs by the end of January.

Karsten Thygesen

It sounds great, that the LuminarAI will support M1 in the near future - but how about Luminar 4? 

芳雄 緒方

Ya! I have exactly the same request - M1 native Luminar 4. After the launch of Luminar AI, I still found Luminar 4 is my primarily retouching software, as I use Luminar AI as a plug-in within it.

Anastasia Davis

Karsten Thygesen We'll implement native support for Luminar 4 as well, just a bit later.

Is there specific timeline for the m1 native support? Two month? I'm considering which photography editing software to use

Agatha Winter

Hi Member - Please note that Luminar 4, Luminar AI, and Aurora HDR 2019 should work on processors with M1 chip via Rosetta 2 just fine. The native support for Luminar AI is planned to be released later this year. Stay tuned! 

Marco Scandali

Hi, I'm having some trouble with Luminar AI and the new M1. I got an alert at top left and menus are inactive while the logo Luminar AI continuously changes from highlighted to not highlighted...any clue?

I already tried to re-install the app....but nothing changed.

Thanks.

Marco

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Marco Scandali,

If you see triangle signs on your images, it means that Luminar AI catalog lost connection with images in Finder. In such case, we suggest going to Catalog folder > right click on root folders which have similar triangles next to them > select Locate Folder. In Finder you will be able to navigate to your folder with images.

Marco Scandali

thanks!

Donat Deger

Hi,
    Are there any plans to optimize Aurora HDR 2019 to natively support the M1 chip? Or will it be a paid upgrade? If the latter is the case, I will keep my 2018 version for the time being. Thank you in advance for your reply!

Please sign in to leave a comment.