Disappointed - Big Sur bugs

Answered

Comments

14 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi!

We are aware of the issues with MacOS Big Sur.

We will release a compatibility update for Luminar 4 within a week.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Comment actions Permalink
    Huw Parry

Its not like you didn't know it was coming is it? Photoshop is compatible with macOS Big Sur, just saying ..........

Gal Steinberg

You should have been aware of this for 3 months... not after it is released and customers complain, and not after Big Sur hits the market.

Every other software I use (and I use a lot) is ready, you should have been ready on launch day... not weeks later... 

Mathieu C

I'm using Luminar 3 and now it's a BIG struggle with Big Sur ...

Does any know if Skylum is going to drop the Luminar 3 dead or if they're going to update it, to make it able to work correctly ? 

Uwe Kummernuß

Für Luminar 3 wird es KEIN Fix für BigSur geben, das lassen die sterben. Für Luminar 4 wird es noch einmal ein Fix geben, dann lassen sie auch das sterben, NUR noch Luminar AI soll dann verwendet werden. Aber wann das Fix für Luminar 4 kommen wird, weiss niemand, Skylum faselt seit Tagen davon: in ein paar Tagen, wann auch imemr das sein mag. Erscheinungsdatum Luminar AI steht leider nicht in den Weihnachtssternen sondern erst im Frühjahr 2021 sickerte durch......

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

I realize that it's a pretty frustrating experience and I apologize for this inconvenience.

The update for Luminar 4 will be available within just a couple of days. Please stay tuned!

Please note that we prepare the updates based on the final (release) version of macOS. The majority of the issues that were reported on the beta version are now not reproduced on the release version. This is why it's not effective to test the software on beta.

Now that the official version is out, the build with the fix is already in the works and it will be out ASAP.

Mathieu, regrettably, Luminar 3 will not get a compatibility update, as it is our legacy app and it is no longer supported.

Please see the pinned post here for the most recent info: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009885339-macOS-Big-Sur-Known-Issues

Huw Parry

"This is why it's not effective to test the software on beta." Hmm tell that to Adobe, Affinity etc etc...........

Petras Baronas

Hello, I'm another very disappointed and sometimes already angry Luminar 3 buyer (*but happy Aurora user ) here. Dear Skylum team. Where is promised Big Sur update for Luminar 3? I bought Luminar 3 straight before Luminar 4 came. Luminar 3 never worked properly and always lacked updates. All Luminar 3 users were told: don't worry Luminar 3 is a different product it continuously will get support and updates from Skylum. Now you are telling: we no longer support it. Dear Skylum please provide some opportunities for Luminar 3 clients ( flexible switch to Luminar 4 or so ) or just build a better final version of Luminar 3 which can work on Big Sur.

Oleksandr Tsepko

Hello Petras Baronas and everyone. This is Alex, CEO of Skylum. 

I agree the situation with Luminar 3 and the Big Sur support was kind of a mess. I would feel the same way, if the product I love and use, stopped working with the new OS. It's true that we have decided not to continue the support of Luminar 3. Instead we are focusing all the efforts on Luminar AI (the new generation of Luminar). 

Yet, we have a huge respect to all of you, and will try to keep you happy. 

Please reach out to Skylum support team via this form: https://skylum.com/support. 

Support Team will make sure to give you a good offer. 

All the best, 

Alex

Marco Marrocco

Soo...no patch for Luminar 3 but an upgrade offer? Am I reading this right?

Alex, this is a confirmation of the attitude that brought you into this "kind of a mess" (your words) in the first place. I wish you folks would try to stick to what you said instead of turning all apologetic; you owe it to your customers.

Regards,

--

Marco

Helga Rowles

Hi Marco, 

We'd really like you to continue enjoying our software, so we took care of it! Please check your inbox to find a special upgrade offer.

Huw Parry

What are you going to do for Aurora HDR 2018 users, it is only a couple of months older than L3?

thx

h

Marco Marrocco

Hi Helga,

Thank you for the upgrade offer, though the point I was trying to make was really not about that. Let me elaborate:

I'm sure I have mentioned before, in passing: photography is a hobby to me, a huge hobby that gives me satisfaction and occasional extra work possibilities, but I write software for a living. I think I have experienced the best and worst times in that line of work, so when I point my fingers at what I consider some egregious mistakes you are making, be sure it is not to come down hard on the work of some fellow developers, but, maybe presumptuously, to say "hey guys, see that thing everybody is complaining about? that's not the optimal way to address it" - case in point: the Big Sur debacle, which is far from being over (see: exclamation points) and could have been easily mitigated with proper preparation AND communication.

It is true that you can't write software on beta tools and frameworks alone, but the Apple beta program was there to help commercial developers not be caught unaware by the quirks and features of the upcoming operating system. People can find workarounds in time for the actual launch OR they can come to the conclusion that compatibility cannot be 100% guaranteed at launch, and properly COMMUNICATE to their userbase and prospect customers that they should probably not adopt the new operating system at day 1 if your software is an unreplaceable part of their workflow.

I have received dozens of emails saying exactly this, the week before Big Sur launched, none of those were from you. Instead, I got a bunch (read: daily) of newsletters promoting the upcoming Luminar AI.

Then Big Sur hit the shelves and we all know what happened, since we're still here discussing the aftermath. If that wasn't enough, it led to software not even two years old being demoted to "legacy" from one day to another - see again: communication - with Luminar 3 being reincluded in the compatibility update as an afterthought (except you took that back again today) because, let's face it, a lot of people are still using Luminar 3; from what I can judge, it's the best compromise between Luminar 2018, promising but kind of...unripe and Luminar 4, when you decided it was a good idea to reinvent the wheel (your own established wheel/workflow, mind you) and start removing features - it isn't. You never remove features, you make them optional.

So again, the key is preparation and communication AND not changing your mind multiple times over the course of a few weeks, because this is when people bring out the torches and pitchforks - I'm sure your work would be easier without that; you can't make everyone happy all the time but, really, a lot of the complaints here are more than justified, especially those that date to years back and are still unresolved.

I'll stop before before this gets too long and rant-like, This is the second time Alex has come forth to apologize, I think, I don't remember seeing many posts by him in the community before. Apologies are always appreciated but I'd rather see you learn from your mistakes because, once again, I'm a happy Aurora user (I mean, it's also buggy and unoptimized, but when it works it really keeps its promises)  and I'll be happy to see your software get better with time. More software choices = more opportunities for people to find the better tool for their workflow.

Kindest regards,

--
    Marco

Mathieu C

I do agree with everything Marco said and I'm so happy for him to be able to continu to use the Luminar app without having to buy Luminar 4.

But what Helga Rowles, what are you and your team going to do for all of the other users that use previous app form Luminar and are soooo tired of buying new program every time Luminar get "a big update" ?  

I use Luminar for a long time and I do feel really attached to the former little company which was confronting the Big others heads of the market by listing to the feedbacks of the community. 

And now that you used our experiences, our problematics, etc. you just leave us buying each time, and as I said I'm so tired of buying new versions that doesn't change that much ...

So what are you going to for all of the Luminar 3 ex users, that today CAN'T DO ANYTHING anymore ? 

Please sign in to leave a comment.