Luminar 4 Sooooooo. Slooooooow....

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Larry Sang

I am currently running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 in case it matters.  I am currently doing an experiment where I created a look with 1 image.  Then I imported 186 photos into the catalog.  Selected all of them and pasted the adjustments.  My CPU is jumping up to 800+% with 38 threads, but it's only using about 3.55GB of my 64GB of ram.  It took 20 minutes to stop screaming.  Then I selected all of them to export to JPEG.  It's been going for 35 minutes and it is on image 72 of 186.  As I mentioned, the RAW files are from my Panasonic GH5.  

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Egilsdottir

Hello Larry Sang,

I'm terribly sorry for the negative experience you had with Luminar 4 performance. Improving the overall performance of Luminar is a large-scale task that stands firmly on the to-do list of our tech team, and the fixes addressing some of its aspects are baked in virtually every update. We're working on it around the clock while juggling with the state-of-the-art creativity features too. Do you store your catalog on internal or external drive? For better stability we would highly recommend to keep it on internal drive. The same applies to the photos. We understand that keeping the images on external drive is much more convenient especially if you have loads of photos in your library, however if those images are located on internal drive, the speed should be much better. 

Wolfgang Jarcik

... und wieder mal eine dieser unbrauchbaren Standardantworten - 3 TB Fusion Drive ist natürlich eine Interne Device.

Uwe Kummernuß

meinst Du die wissen was ein Fusion Drive ist bei Skylum...... ich denke nicht...... sonst wäre dei Antwort anders formuliert worden....

Wolfgang Jarcik

Ich glaube sie nehmen immer eine ihrer Standardantworten welche irgendwie zum Thema gehört - Hauptsache: “stay tuned”

Larry Sang

I do have the files on an external RAID array connected via Thunderbolt.  However, I am able to edit 4k 60 4:2:2 in real time video from this drive.  And, the Adobe Lightroom library that I have been hoping to replace for the past two years with Luminar is also on this drive and chugs along with no issues.  And finally, just as a test... I copied 160 Raw Images to the Internal Fusion Drive, created a new catalog, saved the catalog file on the Fusion Drive.  It still is terribly slow.  I'm beginning to agree with the haters at this point because the solid truth is that you can't keep running forward with "New and Improved" versions of the software when the engineers have coded something horribly wrong at a foundational level for it to be this slow compared to the competition.  If Lightroom is the benchmark, your software runs like it is on Windows 95 in comparison.  I paid for the pre-order for Luminar AI because the one thing you have delivered on is affordability, but if it's not a total re-write, I have a feeling I'll be in line for a refund because even a cheap doorstop has to hold the door open.

Please sign in to leave a comment.