Aurora HDR Crashing

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate this issue further.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi - I'm sorry to hear that Aurora HDR 2018 isn't working well for you! Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can take a look at your particular case.

AllKiwi

No Angela its HDR 2019

Marco Marrocco

Hi, a basic suggestion based on my own experience:

Beside the main application, Aurora and the other Skylum software are normally invoking several other executables/dynamic components for different taks, from raw processing to the annoying nag screens. Did you try and do a fresh reboot (i.e. not a power-on-from-suspend thing, or one of the quick reboots modern PCs do that are pretty much the same) to make sure no stray process is running?

Some of the names for those are fairly obvious, but a reboot is probably the safest way to troubleshoot this, if the issue is actually about a stuck side process and you don't want to mess with the task manager trying to terminate suspicious looking entries.

Also, if you're using Aurora as a plugin in Lightroom or Photoshop, make sure those are closed as well, as they run the main Aurora application at startup even if you don't actrually open the pluigin, and might therefore leave some stray process behind.

Also also: could this be related to your initial issue re: Aurora crashing?

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009783980-Aurora-2019-Error-parsing-GrainNewAdjustmentLayer-Error-attempt-division-with-zero

Hope this helps. Regards,

--

Marco

Jason King

Thanks Marco - I have rebooted COLD and no difference.

And yes it is used as a Plugin for Lightroom or Photoshop - one of them anyway.

However the message re "Please close Aurora" seems to indicate to me that something has not closed down properly ... and Aurora doesn't have a method to check whether - in the case of NOW - Aurora is still running - as I mentioned - Task manager has no Adobe or Skylum task running and I still get that "Please close Aurora" message. Be nice if they could tell me some way to "shut it down once and for all"

Victoria Grace

Hi Jason,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we'll do our best to sort it out!

Marco Marrocco

Hi Jason,

I see the people at Skylum have reached out to you, so it's safer if you go ahead and troubleshoot things with them; there is, however, one last thing you might want to check in regards of Aurora refusing to uninstall:

>the message re "Please close Aurora" seems to indicate to me that something has not closed down properly

That might as well be; maybe Aurora has left behind some specific temporary file that wasn't properly erased because of the earlier crashes, and makes the application think it's still running - even though it clearly is not, after a clean reboot.

Going through the settings folder at %Appdata%/Aurora HDR/ the only files that seem to be updated after a successful launch are a bunch of .xml settings, a nondescript user.dat file (I'd leave that alone) AND a cache folder, which is also emptied out whenever I close the applcation. You might want to check out the latter, in case there are some leftover cached files in there. Of course if Aurora is not running it should be empty, but if it turns out it's not, well, maybe that's why the application behaves like it was never shut down.

Just thinking out loud. Regards,

--

Marco

Chris Whaley

Chris Whaley

I have the same problem. I managed to uninstall Aurora, by rebooting the computer, and then uninstalling. But a clean reinstall dd not solve the issue. I wonder if it is connected to the recent windows 10 update. Hopefully Skylum will publish the solution on here.

Jason King

After advice from another poster I updated my GeForce video drivers and its all fixed now.

Michael Lethbridge

I use Luminar Ai and waited until I had a few series of bracketed images before I purchased Aurora, this morning. It crashes every time I hit " Create HDR".  I now recognize it is a common issue, but wonder if there are any suggestions or thoughts on the probability that I might get it to work, even intermittently, so I can see some results. I've tried all the re-boot, re-install, etc. I regret purchasing without the trial, I attended a lunch session on Aurora HDR last week and assumed it would work as smoothly as the Ai does.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear that Aurora HDR is giving you trouble! That isn't the expected behavior and we'd like the opportunity to take a closer look. Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support or email support@skylum.com and we'll see what needs to happen to get you up and running smoothly.

Please sign in to leave a comment.