Migration of the Luminar 4 catalogue to Luminar AI including image processing

Answered

Comments

25 comments

Austin Miller

Hi Dirk. Luminar AI is a brand-new program, rebuilt from the ground up. It is not an upgrade to the previous version of Luminar. Moreover, we suggest to treat Luminar AI as an alternative to all traditional photo editors, including Luminar 4. Because of that, you will not be able to move your catalog directly to Luminar AI.

Comment actions Permalink
    Christian Poulton

I do find this lack of transfer between libraries unacceptable considering that the software originates from the same developers. This is especially unacceptable considering that Luminar 4 will not be further developed henceforth and whatever Skylum say to the contrary, Luminar ai is Luminar 4’s direct replacement.

Maybe the guys over at Cyme can come up with something with their excellent Avalanche app? https://cyme.io/

Elena Blum

Hi Christian,

As we also plan to ship compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after LuminarAI is released, you can still use the app along with Luminar AI.

Christian Poulton

Thanks Elena,

That’s indeed true, however I wouldn’t consider compatibility and performance updates as development of an application, more just support for the application.

Also, what happens after a year in 2022? I’m still stuck with a vast amount of images in a now unsupported application library.

I’m sorry but this really hasn’t been thought through by Skylum. Do I continue to use two applications next year with two non-compatible libraries knowing full well that one of them will go out of support?

Can I kindly suggest that you consider a joint venture with Cyme to provide a migration solution between your two products please?

Bert Cheney

Hi Austin and Elena,

Thanks for answering this question.  Your answer is the same as I was guessing.  I understand that the "engine" under Luminar AI is quite different from the one under Luminar 4, so supporting a migration of the edits could be mind boggling at best.  I am looking at it this way, I can continue to use Luminar 4 exactly as long as I would have if Luminar AI had not come along.  And since they will both use my file system as the image content, they can both point to the same (or some of the same) directories.  So in a sense I lose nothing and simply have two different image processors for my photos which will produce different edits and exports for (potentially) some of the same images.  Again, thanks for answering the question.  (If some genius figures out how to simulate Luminar 4 edits in Luminar AI, give him or her a raise and know that a migration feature would be highly valued.)

Matthieu Kopp

Hello, 

At cyme.io, we are currently evaluating how to add migration paths from Aperture/Lightroom/etc... to Luminar AI (as a free upgrade to Avalanche for Luminar). As part of this effort, we are looking at our options to migrate from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI. Stay tuned.

Thank you Christian Poulton for the praises.;-)

Dirk Cohen

@Matthieu: Thanks! Hope you'll be successful.

Philip Wright

Hi,

Can I also state that the excuse that Luminar AI is 'a new programme' is indefensible for any developer of products, coupled with the fact the 4 will no longer be supported in 2022 is, to say the least, disappointing. Of course there was no ability to import from Lightroom into Luminar previously, so I should have seen the writing on the wall. 

So basically I need to continue to use 4 as I don't want to go through the 10,000s images I have re-doing the editing on my selected images. 

Hopefully Matthieu and colleagues at Cyme.io can sort this quickly. Otherwise I am going to seriously have to consider switching back to Lightroom and photoshop and drop Luminar. 

Kurt Kaunzinger

No migration path from Luminar 4 to Ai?  It is simply unacceptable to not have mapped a migration path during the development of your new product.  It would have been possible but my guess is that someone made a 'cost-saving' decision at the expense of your paying customers.  As one of those customers I feel cheated in my purchase of Luminar Ai.  Had I been informed of this major deficit during your last holiday advertising push, I certainly would not have purchased this new version.

Kirk Winslow

I JUST discovered that there is no migration ability from 4 to AI and have to agree that this really affects my confidence in and loyalty to Luminar (which I have historically LOVED). Luminar's results and historic ease of use have been exceptional. But the creation of new applications without huge consideration of previous users seems to be becoming a habit.

Th UI change from 3-4, for example, was a major disruption, and when there were many complaints, the Skylum response struck me as basically "it's a complete redesign of our UI from the ground up, you're welcome!"  It required a major shift in workflow and there seemed little recognition that such major changes make a big impact on users who rely on Luminar as the very "alternative to all traditional photo editors" they describe above.

Now we have another "complete redesign, you're welcome!" that doesn't allow for the migration of previously edited images and it feels - to me - like a bit of a middle-finger to loyal customers. I mean seriously, can you imagine Microsoft stopping their support of Word and creating a new word processing application that won't open old documents? Or a replacement of Excel that can't open .xls files??? 

What confidence do we have that 2 years from now Skylum won't do the very same thing??? Why do I trust that the work I do in AI will be durable? Or will we get a "complete redesign, you're welcome!" again? 

I would really appreciate an actual response from Skylum on this:  Why do we trust AI won't evaporate in short order and we will be in the same position now?  (And not supporting 4 after 2022 is - in my opinion - quite unsatisfactory if AI is not an update.)

Dirk Cohen

I totally agree with Kirk! My initial euphoria was over when I realized that cyme.io's solution will be usable exclusively by Mac users. However, there are actually people who use Luminar 4 / AI on Windows computers. Really!

Philip Wright

I must say I am very disappointed that there is no migration as it basically means I have wasted all the time I spent working with Luminar 4. Will Skylum do this again for the next update? 

It really does show contempt for loyal customers and I bought Luminar AI pre-release with no mention of lack of migration of old libraries. They should really give a refund.

I am now thinking about moving back to Lightroom - not that I want to but at least they build in migration from one development to another. Unless anyone knows a better alternative programme?

Kirk Winslow

The more I have had time to contemplate this, the more baffled I am...

First, huge kudos to Matthieu Kopp and the folks at CYME and their work to try to create a solution. I think that says a lot for them. But it only further indicts Skylum.

Skylum clearly knew that edits would not migrate to AI and apparently regarded such as a feature. That CYME thinks they can create a migration path is only further proof that it likely can be done, Skylum just didn't care to do so. And I completely understand that different teams have different strengths and there are budgets and deadlines and launch dates and maybe it isn't in Skylum's wheelhouse to create the migration path. But they clearly have no plan to outsource it to another firm or, it would seem, even to create a partnership with CYME to bundle a migration app with the purchase of Luminar AI.

What it says to me is that Skylum doesn't really consider the work done with their software as indispensable. If they really intended to be a complete editing solution, they'd know it's essential for work done in their app to migrate forward as the software develops. You don't do important work with systems that may vanish. I guarantee Skylum isn't managing their finances on software that might stop being supported in a year and can't migrate to the next product in their provider's development. They aren't using communication tools or e-mail platforms or coding with compilers that will be unsupported in 18 months. Yet they think we should rely on their software to continue managing and editing images for our businesses or clients? 

And I, personally, find the response to Dirk Cohen:

Luminar AI is a brand-new program, rebuilt from the ground up. It is not an upgrade to the previous version of Luminar. Moreover, we suggest to treat Luminar AI as an alternative to all traditional photo editors, including Luminar 4. Because of that, you will not be able to move your catalog directly to Luminar AI.

Just plain maddening. "Please use our new software as your primary editor, no you can't move your catalog..."  Ugh!

I was willing to deal with the UI change in 4 (and the not-uncommon crashes of 4!) because I liked 3 so much and I was believing that fixes were in the works.

But Skylum has lost me at this point. I'm exercising my 30-day refund and will go back to deciding between DxO and On 1 (I can't go back to Lightroom...).

Further, as I have time, I plan to contact some of the usual suspects in the world of photography review sites to express my frustration at their complete lack of any mention of this issue. And I'll make a note in a few of the key Reddit discussions to alert others considering AI. (If folks are cool with this migration issue, great. But I'm clearly not and would have wanted to know before buying!)

I'm sad to leave Luminar, but I can't be loyal to a company that isn't going to loyal to it's longtime customers...

James Albrecht

I *WAS* having a good day until I found this thread...

Much like Kirk Winslow here, I am extremely disappointed in the flippant response by the Skylum support team with regard to importing my current Luminar catalog.

What's worse is I can't exactly go back to Adobe's misanthropic products either. Some backstory is in order: I've been using stand-alone Lightroom 5 for AGES, but now that I've got a Nikon Z50 - with yet another change to RAW and/or JPEG file headers (wish all these damned camera manufacturers would settle on ONE standardized RAW format) - I can no longer import photos. I've followed up on Adobe's [laughable] forums and it appears this is a known problem with every version of Lightroom including CC. The only redeeming fact is it saves me from ever buying a CC subscription.

Luminar 4 has no problem importing these photos, so I was happy to pay for Luminar AI believing (as you did) that I could migrate my catalog. Upon reading this thread, I realize Luminar AI cannot and it was intentional.

Ergo, once 2022 rolls around I'll be using yet another piece of editing software that's out of its development/support cycle. Please let me know how much grief you got trying to get a refund, Kirk. [Edit: Considering we've already seen Skylum pull the "complete redesign of xx or yy, you're welcome" twice now, how could I in good conscience put my body of work into a new "rebuilt from the ground up" program KNOWING they're going to pull the same SHENANIGANS again in 1-2 years' time?]

Philip Wright

I'm trialling On1 - looms good, is quick and seems to do what I need. To be fair they did reimburse my payment for Luminar AI
    But such a wasted opportunity for Skylum.
    PS you can migrate from Lighthorne catalog in to One.

James Albrecht

Philip!

Thank you so much for the fast reply! :) As far as the refund goes, I'm guessing that's based on activation date, not purchasing date?

Additionally, would you have any idea whether On1 imports Nikon Z series camera RAW (NEF) & JPG files, or not? I DO like the fact it can import my Lightroom catalog, definite plus there. I was seriously giving thought to using Nikon's own software for editing... I know, a fate worse than death. ;)

Philip Wright

Nikon use to have great software, then lost a licence and it was rubbish. I moved from Nikon to Sony.
    In terms of On1, no idea, but they do a 14 day trial - well worth checking out first before buying. Don't close off and backup any old catalogs...

James Albrecht

I appreciate it, I'll definitely give the 14-day trial a whirl. It's a pity that cyme.io are Mac-only, as their Avalanche product looks VERY enticing.

Kirk Winslow

Just got my refund this morning - so it took about 12 days, though some of that was a delay on my side confirming I wanted a refund. (Skylum sent me a nice e-mail asking if there was anything they could do to keep me as a customer.)

I will say I had no hassles, and Skylum was quite kind-hearted in their response to my critiques (kudos to Elena - I'm departing with a slightly better taste in my mouth).

I did ask in my refund request if I was in any way misunderstanding that there was no way to import edits from Luminar 4 into AI and Skylum did not address the questions (not rudely, I think it was just that indeed, we have all understood correctly).

It's a serious bummer as Luminar 3 was wonderful and I loved the results and even the process. All I can figure is that Skylum is aiming at a whole new segment of the market and willing to lose its current customer base to do so (I don't think they want us to go, but clearly not developing new products with current customers as their priority).

Sad to leave, but appreciate Skylum's hassle-free honoring of their refund policy and they get some credit for that.

Philip Wright

I'm afraid to say Skylum are going down a cul-de-sac and will be a dying solution unless they make migration a key part of their development programme.
    I can't see a successful strategy where they create a series of disconnected products...

Matthieu Kopp

FYI: About migration

https://cyme.io/migrating-your-catalogs-from-luminar-4-to-luminar-ai/

We are finishing up and should release soon.

Kirk Winslow

Hi Matthieu Kopp

This is AMAZING, and CYME is to be heartily thanked and congratulated! You have created a path forward that Skylum opted not to, and done more for their customer support than they have.

That you have managed to create this path - to me - only further indicts Skylum, as you've proven such migration possible quickly, and affordably (you are offering it as a free upgrade to Avalanche - again, amazing and generous!). 

This makes it only the more obvious that Skylum had several good options with the move from 4 to AI:

• Make migration possible themselves as part of AI
    • Ask CYME to create such a module for them behind the scenes
    • Create an explicit partnership with you that expressed Skylum's awareness of the migration need and providing their loyal customers with a solution before rolling out AI...

But, from what I can tell, they opted for none of these (mind-boggling). And it just isn't good business practice for me to build my work flow around a software company that consciously makes me dependent upon another software company to come to my rescue when they opt not to support me and further makes no effort themselves to remedy the situation. Thus, personally, have returned my AI license and have departed Skylum.

But I thank you greatly for you and your team's hard work. Your willingness to step in and help people like me is commendable and I will definitely make use of Avalanche as I transition from Skylum to another editing solution.

Very best to you and I hope the day will come when I can return to a Skylum that acknowledges a problem like this and commits to never repeating it.

James Albrecht

I certainly applaud the efforts of CYME to fill the GAPING CHASM created by Skylum with this latest iteration of their Luminar software. Many thanks to Matthieu Kopp!

Unfortunately, that won't help users of the software under the Windows operating system at all, as Avalanche isn't made for it - nor have I found another developer doing anything similar on the Windows side.

As Philip correctly observed, Skylum's wandering down a rabbit hole that leads to a future where their software is niche at best. Migration from prior versions is key. From what I've been researching about On1, it's looking to be the better non-Adobe option overall.

Matthieu Kopp

Please check: https://cyme.io/avalanche-luminar/

(sorry James Albrecht for being mac only 😢 )

Robi Gallardo

Thank you to CYME for this solution. Not having a clear migration path for edits and catalogues from L4 to Luminar AI has bugged my to no end.

I'm also bummed that Layers and Albums have been excluded and that the UI has changed so much. c'mon Skylum. 

I was looking to forward to moving entirely to Luminar for tracking and cataloguing. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.