Luminar 4 Windows still missing the Lasso tool

Answered

Comments

4 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi Markus,

At this time, we don't have immediate plans for implementing the Lasso tool in the Windows version of Luminar 4.
    We do mention that this tool is only available for macOS users in our manual:

https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/erase-tool?q=lasso

If the absence of the lasso in the erase tool is a deal-breaker for you and you'd rather go for a refund, please, reach out to us via https://skylum.com/support

Comment actions Permalink
    Marco Marrocco

Which begs the question: How can this even happen in 2020? as in: how can a company ship a product that has major missing features across platforms (for me, in a photography application a selection tool counts as a major feature anyway), and then fail to bring them up to par along the way?

As someone who writes software for a living, I have come up with a number of possible answers, but since they are all hypothetical, I'll keep them to myself.

Honestly, every time I read about people being hesitant (for lack of better words) about Luminar AI, this is one of the reasons; it also doesn't help that the tutorials and previews on Youtube are mostly showing the Mac version of the Skylum applications: you can never be sure if you'll be able to replicate what you're seeing.

Just my two cents, as usual. Regards,

--

Marco

Marco Marrocco

Further elaborating on Helga's reply above: not long ago there was a post by the CEO of Slylum saying, pretty much, "We had huge expectations for Luminar, and then we realized we couldn't carry them to completion; so we decided to try our hand at something less complex, but hopefully more innovative; if you're not happy about this direction we're taking, or the current state of the software, reach out to us for a refund".

As disappointing as the message might sound at first glance, this was a bold move, not every company would do that. Again, having been in the software business for the past...bunch of years I can appreciate the honesty of saying "We bit more than we can chew". What I think it really was a bad move, however, is locking the thread afterwards. It could have lead to an honest discussion about what people are expecting from Skylum software, or photography software in general. Instead, now we have people venting all over the place. And given the overall debacle with Luminar 4 and its updates, can't really blame them.

Regards,

--

Marco

Jose Plaza

To be honest, I cannot guess the reason to have some differences between windows and Mac as this one in the erase tool. Just to make straight lines in the erase masking should not be so difficult in windows (a circle of fixed radius moved following a direction vector). You have implemented undo strokes in masking but there is no way to make straight lines in erase.

Difficult to believe, that is my opinion.

Regards.

Please sign in to leave a comment.