Luminar AI Beta

Answered

Comments

18 comments

Roy Blackwell

Each to their own opinion. Luminar AI has many similarities with Luminar 4.3 but since L-AI has no layers, I do not believe you can call it an update to Luminar 4. In my way of thinking, it is an evolution of Luminar 4 into something similar but very different in its underpinning framework. I have seen Jim Nix and Anthony Morganti's videos demo'ing a beta copy of Luminar AI and I feel encouraged.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mike Hardisty

I had a felling this was going to be the case and after watching many of the videos I was also disappointed with what effectively looks like a new version of Luminar with an AI label stuck onto some of the sliders. However, it is only a beta and a lot of things can change between beta release and final product release.

I've signed up for the pre-release, did so right at the start, I can afford it, others may not be able to.

But I have promised myself this and I'm going to stick to it this time. If I see any difference between the MAC Version and the Windows version, then that's it I'm invoking my 30 days. No if's, no but's, no maybe's. All too often Skylum have promised compatibility and not delivered.

Sky replacement 2 coming at a later date. I question this, If they can demonstrate it now, why not include it in the release model. I might be cynical here, but that looks like a nice little money earner just waiting to be incorporated in an update if you're willing to pay for it

If I think I can do most of this of this in Luminar 4 then it's the 30 days for me. Skylum are very good at hype, very good at platitudes. How often have we seen on here, "I'll pass that on to our developers for consideration" or "we plan to release an update this (day/week/month/year) that will solve that problem"

The more I read what I've just written the more I think "why have I fallen for the hype again"

Roy Blackwell

Mike Hardisty: I can certainly understand your sentiments regarding Skylum and its products. That said, I lean more to the optimistic side of things. Photo processing software, across the board, is rapidly advancing. This occurs because of healthy competition and that results in advancing the state of the art which is good for users, albeit it comes at a montetary cost. There are basically three pricing models: 1) open source/free, 2) monthly subscription and 3) major update pricing (usually occuring once every 12-24 months). Companies using model 2 or 3 must compete strongly and sell product and/or service to stay in business.

By the way, I also strongly hope that the MAC and Windows versions are on par with each other in terms of features. As a life long Windows user I really dislike when the MAC version of software apps have more features than the Windows version. 

I could be wrong but I am almost certain that Skylum will not charge us for the Sky Replacement 2.0 feature update with water reflections scheduled for early next year. Would be a very nice surprise to get that in the initial release sometime in December.

Dane Kim

Above all, I want to try the beta version.

Emanuele Scardillo

Looking at the beta it seems to me that the levels have not dissapeared

Emanuele Scardillo

Looking at the beta it seems to me that the levels have not dissapeared

Roberto Ferreira

I see that the beta was available to download but is no longer there. Do you know how I can get it?

Kirk Osborn

The app is in development right now, and at this moment there's no open beta. There is only a closed one with a limited number of our ambassadors and affiliates. 

LuminarAI will be released on Dec 15, 2020. Please stay tuned.

Mike Hardisty

Kirk Osborn

So why did they ask us on Luminar Insiders if we wanted to be beta testers? If SKYLUM had no intention of opening up the beta testing to other than people who are going to give you a generous review you might as well not have bothered asking the question.

It's the little things like this that make me think have I really fallen for all the marketing hype again. 

Roy Blackwell

I would be happy if they would release it now to the first 30K that preordered. Given a December 15 release date, it is to late for beta testing. At a minimum, Luminar AI should be in a release candidate state.

Darryl Brooks

All they really have to do by the 15th is release a rebranded Luminar 4. Everything else will be in AI 2.0 which will come at some point in the future. Anything that's not in place by mid-year will come out at the end of the year in a new package which we will have to purchase all over again. 

Mike Hardisty

Every review I have seen from the ambassadors and affiliates has said that Luminar AI is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not one has pointed out any problems or deficiencies, but would they. The nearest I have heard is "this is still in beta". 

So release on the 15th and that will probably be a phased release, which I hope will be to the 30k who signed up early. That gives us at best 7 maybe 8 days to test the software and decide whether it really is something wonderful or just a Luminar 4 rehash, before Skylum go into holiday mode.

The more I see the way Skylum are handling this the more disillusioned I get and worst of I can't believe that I fell for the hype again.

Mike Hardisty

Darryl Brooks from when it is released to me around the 15th I'm giving Skylum until the 22nd. If it doesn't work well, or we hear there's more to come later in the year, or there is a difference between the Windows and MAC versions, then that's it. I'm invoking my 30 days notice and I'm finished with Skylum.

mike lister

Mike Hardisty

Add me to that list. Wasn't overwhelmed with Lum 4 for Windows either . This day before  Christmas  thing is so frustrating

12/14/2020

Mike Hardisty

mike lister I've already put in for a refund. I got early access to LAI and wasn't impressed in the least. 

mike lister

Mike Hardisty

Did you use it for portraits ? ow was it for that ?

Mike Hardisty

mike lister. I did, quite liked it for that and changing the ye colour was good, but I don't do a lot of portraits so didn't see much use for that.

mike lister

Mike Hardisty,

Portraits is primary reason for Ai.  Between clients,and grandkids sports and individual images. I like the ease of eye enhancement, body shaping.and yes !!  Eye color..as well as Iris Enhancer. But I do value,and appreciate where you are coming from.

Thanks again

I just downloaded mine yesterday. And can't wait to experiment with it 

Please sign in to leave a comment.