Luminar 4 dead end

Answered

Comments

23 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi David,

Please note that we offer perpetual licenses. That is the version you've purchased can be used for however much time you want.

However, we do ship new products / versions every 12-24 months. These versions are optional, but they offer new features, new workflows, new benefits. The version you currently own remains functional.

It is always up to you whether to purchase a new version or stick to the one you already own.

We're also not abandoning Luminar 4. We plan to ship free compatibility and performance updates for Luminar 4 for another year after Luminar AI is released.

Comment actions Permalink
    John Robinson

Margaret,

I use Creative Kit Intensify very occasionally as it can give a dramatic look. Luminar 3 is my 'go to' editor because I find it more stable and better laid out than Luminar 4. I use Luminar 4.3 for those tasks that need the extra features. Creative Kit no longer works smoothly as an extension of Mac Photos, presumably because it is a legacy system and no longer supported by Skylum. Thus I'm not sure you are right in saying, "can be used for however much time you want." It's more a case of you can continue to use previously purchased software with ease whilst Skylum provides support.

Helga Rowles

Hi John,

You're right, Creative Kit apps were not updated to support Catalina, hence the error message while saving an image in an extension for Apple Photos. So yes, it's worth clarifying that perpetual licenses can be used as long as your device meets our system requirements.

My biggest complaint is there was no mention of Luminar 4 being the end of the line when I purchased it just 5 months ago. No warning it was being replaced or I never would have purchased. So for me now to have to pay another $75 is outrageous! This is horrible customer service and will be the end of the line for me with Skylum if it isn't fixed. Anyone who purchased L4 within 12 months of the AI release should get it free. I also will no longer recommend Skylum software during my one on one classes and workshops. Adobe is still the king.

Robert Smith

Margaret, what good is a  perpetual license if L4 keeps crashing?

Kate Williams

Hi Member

Please note that Luminar AI is a brand-new product. It is not an upgrade to Luminar 4. Moreover, it is an alternative to the traditional approach to image editing in general. This is why it's a separate purchase, however, all owners of previous Aurora and Luminar versions are entitled to a loyalty discount. 

We plan to support Luminar 4 with free performance updates for another year. The license will remain valid for an unlimited period of time. 

I invite you to reach us via https://skylum.com/support - we'll ensure you get the best offer possible. 

Robert Smith, sorry to hear that Luminar 4 is crashing for you. Please contact us at https://skylum.com/support - we'll gladly check what's causing it. 

Please also attach your event logs to your request so we could diagnose the issue. 

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your request. 

A video tutorial on how to collect logs: https://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

I feel very much the same way. I just purchased 5 seats of Luminar 4 on 22-AUG, and not even 3 weeks later, it was obsoleted.  The fact that the "traditional" Luminar 4 is going end of life wasn't even mentioned in the announcement.  It was pitched as a new, separate product but not really - if Luminar AI is the only path forward from Luminar 4, it isn't really a "new" product line, is it? 

I haven't even begun to migrate my photos to Luminar, and now I'm being asked to cough up hundreds more to upgrade the 5 seats - that I haven't used yet - to a version that's got more than a few months' of lifespan left.

This really doesn't seem fair.

Kate I don't think you understand. We don't care that you say it's a different program that does all the core things Luminar 4 did with improvements and additions. That's basically what an upgrade is. What allot of us are upset about is the shady business practice of selling software that you know will not be getting any future updates or support. The one year of patches means nothing unless your planning on bringing all the tools available in AI to LR4. Also $80 is not a loyalty discount. I wouldn't pay that much at full price for a program that allot of apps can do for free. This is just wrong when we didn't even purchase more than 6 months ago.

John Tweddell

Affinity have just release their big Sur update affinity have just released their Affinity Photo update for Big Sur and it’s state of the art - they have provided updates for years for no extra cost and alway deliver above expectation - now look at Luminar 4 - bug ridden, promised features still missing and now ignored by Skylum. If only Affinity had a DAM. Skylum- you have let your customers down, still no Big Sur update - you only plug a new different bit of “skyware” which I am sure will be ditched in a year for a new bit of junk. You should be ashamed of your corporate vision - it sucks!

Kirk Osborn

Our tech team is doing its best to ensure full compatibility with the new macOS. The compatibility update for Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR should be available soon, so please stay tuned and check for updates.

We offer loyalty discounts for all current owners of our software products. The price for a 1-seat version of LuminarAI with the applied loyalty discount is 69 USD. Purchasing this version is completely optional, you'll be able to use Luminar 4 for many years to come as long as your computer meets all system requirements.

So you'll be improving the AI features of Luminar 4? I'm not spending money on another program when I just purchased Luminar 4 a few months ago discount or not.

Thomas Dickan

Upgrade From Luminar 3 to Luminar 4 I lost 3 installations. So my 5 installs became 2. Now as a loyalty discount I get 5 dollars off the retail price of Luminar AI ($74 dollars vs. $79)...oh and by the way if you click on that miniscule "i" next to the seats it now looks like you're down to ONE installation for that price. If I want to even get TWO installations I now need to purchase a new "seat" that brings my cost to $89 (but hey, that's a $10 loyalty discount).

I think it's very appropriate that you call them "seats" because you're fishing in my back pocket for more cash and I'm bent over taking it in the...

Anastasia Davis

Thomas Dickan 

Luminar 4 is meant to be used by a single person. We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person in most cases. For example, at home and at work, or on a desktop and a laptop computer.However, you can always reset your license counter in order to activate Luminar on a different computer if you have already exceeded the limit.

Reset buttons are available for each product you own in My Software tab. Click License > Reset All Licenses. 

d c

Anastassia,

''Luminar 4 is meant to be used by a single person. We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person in most cases.''

So Why this change in Luminar AI by  selling with only one activation, shouln'nt have two activation included?

''We’ve discovered that two activations are enough for one person''

Then why not trying to get more money from our loyal customers by selling seat after one activation, we know they gonna pay for the second one because ....  ''at home and at work, or on a desktop and a laptop computer''

Is that make sense to you ?

n.b. Loyal customers should be treat as a loyal customers, not only categorize as is.

Denis

Whomever did your discovery has no idea how people actually work.

Take, for example, my wife and I.

I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air.
    My wife has an iMac and a MBP.

I bought a 5 user Luminar 4 license so we could use it comfortably anywhere - on the go or at home.

But now with Luminar AI, you’ve obsoleted my purchase 3 weeks after I bought them, before I even got it installed and in use. And now you’re telling me I can’t even re-license the machines I’ve already got licenses for, without shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for software I haven’t even seen.

Forget it. This is the final straw. I’m really, really disappointed in Skylum, and will write off my Luminar 4 licenses as a bad investment in a shady outfit.

If you lend someone $20, and they never pay you back, it’s $20 well spent. You’ve learned their character and they’ll cut themselves out of your life to avoid you.

Same principle applies here. I’ve learned who not to do business with.

Anastasia Davis

d c Please note that we are not charging more but rather charging less to the people who need to use the app only on 1 device. We had received requests from users who wanted the app to be with lower price if they want it to use just on one computer. 

Thus, it is not over-charging but rather a flexibility for those who do not intend to use Luminar on numerous computers.

Once again, you can always reset your license counter if you want to change the device. Also, the fee for an extra seat is quite small. 

Anastasia Davis

Dennis, you can totally reset your license counter to change the devices you want to use Luminar on. You can do it in your Skylum account. Have you tried it?

In case you are referring to your Luminar 4 seats, they can't be transferred to Luminar AI since it is a different app.

d c

'' Also, the fee for an extra seat is quite small ''

If the fee is so small for Skylum why then are you not taking care of that fee instead you bugging Loyal customers with it  by having them constanly resetilicense to switch from one device to another one .. 

i'm suppose to save time with luminar ai (that'is the main selling point) ... i much time then i ll lost keep ressetting license  ?

Very productive solution you guys are having .. 

'' You can do it in your Skylum account. Have you tried it?''

no i didn't and i won't do it either. this is not a workable solution.

David Grenda

I started this thread because of my fear that Luminar was going in the same direction as Lightroom.  My disgust for Lightrooms monthly charge made me concerned that Luminar was moving in that direction by simply renaming software every two years to collect a healthy new charge.  While being called revolutionary, from what I see so far, Luminar AI just refines what Luminar 4 set out to do. While I may be pleasantly surprised once released, AI seems to be Luminar 5.0.  For Luminar 5.0, I would expect to pay an upgrade charge but $10 less as a so called a loyalty discount is absurd.  I already purchased Luminar AI and time will tell whether that was money well spent.  I turned my back on Lightroom, when their DAM software is the best in class, because I felt I was being taken advantage of.  Hopefully Luminar will not make me feel the same.  If it does, I will grin and bear the monthly Lightroom charge.

David Grenda

Thank you Luminar for allowing us to vent our frustrations.  Hopefully you will take these comments as constructive criticism of your business practices and not your product.  Without the product, its hard to be fully accurate in our concerns but from your comments on this message board say, you need to listen a little harder to what is being said here.

I see that license counts can be reset on the website.  So you want me to explain to my wife: "Oops, last time you used this it was on your iMac, so now you have to go to www.skylum.com, click the Skylum icon in the top left, then My Account in the top right, then click License, then "Reset all licenses", then "Reset license", then go back to Luminar AI, login again, click Activate and activate the software before you can edit your photos."???

Doesn't sound very user friendly to me.

I appreciate the software itself; seems well designed.

But in a world where I can buy an app on the Mac App Store and have it automatically install and be available on all my Macs, without worrying about where I used it last....  This seems about as customer un-friendly as can be.

As David said, thanks for letting us vent our frustrations here.  The product is not the issue, but these very customer un-friendly policies will force me to go elsewhere, no matter how good the software is.  It's 2020, and my expectations for ease of use are set by the rest of the industry, not Skylum's profit desires.

Austin Miller

Hello all! We are always working on improving our products and the user experience. Your suggestions and remarks are very valuable to us and we will make sure to take them into consideration for future updates!

David we appreciate you starting this thread and it should be clear that many people are not at all happy with how this is being handled. $5 or even $20 off for a so called loyalty discount is just preposterous especially for those who recently purchased L4. I never stopped using lightroom as I still get much better results and the batch options and speed is vastly superior. I have no doubt that Adobe will bring some of these same features to it's products soon and be superior in their functioning.

Please sign in to leave a comment.